Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Rapoport predictions for Falcons

59 posts in this topic

I cant seem to find the article I was reading this morning, but a long with Rapoport thinking the falcona cut Freeman, he also speculates they let Hooper walk. He then went onto say that he could see the Falcons making a run after a young, expensive DE like Jadeveon Clowney or Dante Fowler Jr. He also speculated we could go after a "short term" contract guy like Robert Quinn. 

Like i said yesterday, speculation is anything but news. I thought it was intetesting that he thinks we let Hooper walk in favor of a big name DE on the FA market though. I think that would be a smart decision. Then we can focus the draft on the rest of the defense, as well as the running game. If we do get a player like Fowler, I think it would be wise to add a 3rd pass rusher to go with Takk and Fowler, and my guy Josh Uche would be a nice player for that role if hes still available at 47. We could turn a weakness into a budding strength, by addressimg the DE position with this type of plan for addressing a need thats been a DIRE need for FAR too long. 

gazoo, Falcster, The Don™ and 1 other like this

Fowler and Chaisson fixes SLBer aswell as DE.

If there plan is to let Hooper walk they 100 % better sought out the run game and Julio Jones could go for 2000 yards on the real someone has to pickup the slack run game and Julio why not.

gazoo likes this

One thing I agree is that rapsheet said we are looking to reallocate our funds... 

We have to stop thinking if we put all of our money on one side of the ball (offense)  then it can just carry the other side... We gotta add more on D

Also that Tom Pelissero dude was talking about how the TE market can get reset to 13 mil a year with guys like hooper and Henry similar to the MLB position did a year ago.

It sound like kittles and Kelce is getting 15+ mil a year 

gazoo, Schwarzwald, g-dawg and 3 others like this

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

One thing I agree is that rapsheet said we are looking to reallocate our funds... 

We have to stop thinking if we put all of our money on one side of the ball (offense)  then it can just carry the other side... We gotta add more on D

Also that Tom Pelissero dude was talking about how the TE market can get reset to 13 mil a year with guys like hooper and Henry similar to the MLB position did a year ago.

If that is really where things go, no wonder they may try to secure even short term defensive upgrades rather than pay Hooper that much.

Koetter will need Gage, Graham, other TEs, and the RBs as a whole pick up the slack.

PokerSteve and The Don™ like this

If we cut Free, and trade Tru (if no other cuts too) it should free up some space. Then we sign Hooper since it'll be cheaper than tagging him. Sign a guy like Robert Quinn or a cheaper DE, draft Chaisson and add a DT in the draft or a cheap vet. Then just draft the rest; CB, RB, LB

Schwarzwald likes this

Crazy that everyone is against paying Hooper, but thinks paying WRs more is okay.

As the game has evolved I personally think these well rounded athletic TEs can be more valuable than the WR and the market is starting to agree.

Not saying Hooper is the same player as Kittle for Kelce, but he is right below them...top 5-7.

MAD597 likes this

The drop off between Hooper and Jaeden Graham is not that bad. I wouldnt mind if we can secure Fowler or Robert Quinn provided that we also draft a good DE. I think we keep Trufant, but draft his replacement soon. 

red falcon, ltstorm2, Stevo and 2 others like this

5 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

The drop off between Hooper and Jaeden Graham is not that bad. I wouldnt mind if we can secure Fowler or Robert Quinn provided that we also draft a good DE. I think we keep Trufant, but draft his replacement soon. 

How do you know that JG can replace Hooper w minimal drop off? He has played very little. He had some flashes, but the sample size is small. That and we didn’t look too hot as an offense in the games Hooper missed.

if we let Hooper walk I sure hope there is a better plan than just rolling w Graham 

that said if we could simply replace Hooper w Graham and he is that good I would be all for it. Just too risky IMO. TE always a big piece in DK scheme 

33 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

As the game has evolved I personally think these well rounded athletic TEs can be more valuable than the WR and the market is starting to agree.

That's the problem.  Hooper is not a well rounded athletic TE. 

His run blocking is subpar.

He is not athletic, he looks like a tall Matt Ryan trying to run aka a **** giraffe.

Ever seen him get "open" on a short route?  No, cause he can't .  Hes a stanford boy aka smart and knows how to sit in zones.

Let someone else reset the market for tight ends.  Frankly this front office needs find their balls again. 

58 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Crazy that everyone is against paying Hooper, but thinks paying WRs more is okay.

Not saying Hooper is the same player as Kittle for Kelce, but he is right below them...top 5-7.

Hooper is good, but I believe he has benefitted immensely from Julio clearing out the middle of the field.  Hooper does not really get much separation, he just finds the soft spot in the defense and connects with Ryan.  

While that is a good thing, it is not a special thing.  Paying Hooper $10M/year would be a mistake.  That money and cap space would be better spent on a defender.  

Just to be clear, I like Hooper, but we have much greater needs along the LOS.  It is a zero-sum situation.  If we pay Hooper his market value, we will lose out on adding a meaningful defender.  

11 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Hooper is good, but I believe he has benefitted immensely from Julio clearing out the middle of the field.  Hooper does not really get much separation, he just finds the soft spot in the defense and connects with Ryan.  

While that is a good thing, it is not a special thing.  Paying Hooper $10M/year would be a mistake.  That money and cap space would be better spent on a defender.  

Just to be clear, I like Hooper, but we have much greater needs along the LOS.  It is a zero-sum situation.  If we pay Hooper his market value, we will lose out on adding a meaningful defender.  

I hear you. My biggest worry is we walk from a proven commodity, spend big on a FA who underperforms and we lose performance in 2 positions.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Just now, 1989Fan said:

I hear you. My biggest worry is we walk from a proven commodity, spend big on a FA who underperforms and we lose performance in 2 positions.

That is the risk.

Graham was drafted because management knew this day was coming for Hooper. I fully agree that Freeman and Hoop are gone.  Falcons do need to focus on building the lines from the inside out. And bringing BALANCE to their roster. How hard is it to fill 22 spots? Your QB, WRs, one d lineman, two o-linemen, one LB, and S are entrenched so you literally have 15 spots to fill, how hard could it be to get the best available player for 15 spots? Needs C, LT, LG, Outside LB, 2 CBs, DT, DE. Hire me for what the Falcons front office makes and I could clean this up in an afternoon. We can address DE, DT, LB, and C in the draft, LG or LT late. And address RB and CB in free agency. CBs and RBs are the cheapest positions to fill due to their abundance. Any team that puts big money in WR, CB, or RB are stupid.   (See Detroit and NY Jets. Paying big money contract to CBs. WRs.and RBs)

Edited by Refried Beans
dyrtysouth2000 likes this

1 minute ago, etherdome said:

That is the risk.

Yep, a big risk. With how overpaid the top players in UFA are, rarely do they live up to or play out their contracts.

1 minute ago, Refried Beans said:

Graham was drafted because management knew this day was coming for Hooper. I fully agree that Freeman and Hoop are gone.  Falcons do need to focus on building the lines from the inside out. And bringing BALANCE to their roster. How hard is it to fill 22 spots? Your QB, WRs, one d lineman, two o-linemen, one LB, and S are entrenched so you literally have 15 spots to fill, how hard could it be to get the best available player for 15 spots? Needs C, LT, LG, Outside LB, 2 CBs, DT, DE. Hire me for what the Falcons front office makes and I could clean this up in an afternoon. We can address DE, DT, LB, and C in the draft, LG or LT late. And address RB and CB in free agency. CBs and RBs are the cheapest positions to fill due to their abundance. Any team that puts big money in WR, CB, or RB are stupid.   

He was a UDFA. If the plan was to get a TE to replace Hooper, it would have been addressed before UDFA. 

Now if he is a pleasant surprise and can replace Hooper great, but that doesn’t mean he was brought in seen as a replacement for Hooper from day 1.

Mr.11 and Ovie_Lover like this

11 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

That’s a double edged sword. You don’t want to overpay to keep your own if proven but overrated (e.g. Freeman, Trufant). Hopper has proven he’s effective when the defense is laser focused on neutralizing bigger threats but how would he fare if he was the threat himself and the defense targeted their gameplan against him like other real top of the NFL TEs?

I think his production can be replaced all while maybe upgrading run blocking.

Edited by cyberlian

45 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, a big risk. With how overpaid the top players in UFA are, rarely do they live up to or play out their contracts.

And the same phenomenon will happen with Hooper's contract.  Some team is going to over pay for him.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

“OSM determines how much of a team’s performance can be attributed to an individual. Where most statistical analysis focuses purely on team performance, such as passing yards and completion percentage, where the statistics are the total of a combination of the efforts of multiple players, OSM isolates just the factors that an individual can control. As such, it gives a true indicator of an individual player’s contribution to their team.

OSM is graded out of 100, although it is near impossible to achieve this score. In fact, anything over a grade of 33 can be considered “elite” performance.

Hooper has elite performance in Week 6 loss

The Falcons fell to their fourth straight defeat of the season with a 34-33 loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday. They have multiple problems and the passing offense, Hooper included, isn’t necessarily one of them. The problem rests with a non-existent rushing attack and a porous defense. The Falcons, per ESPN, are giving up over 390 yards and 31 points per game. In the game against the Falcons, the leg of Matt Bryant also contributed, as the veteran kicker missed an extra point that would have tied the game.

As such, the efforts of the Atlanta offense, and especially Hooper, were for nothing. As OSM isolates the factors that only an individual can control, we can see how much of Atlanta’s offensive success rests with the tight end.

His grading for Sunday’s game was a staggering 52.31. When you consider that anything over a 33 grading is “elite,” it gives a truly impressive idea of how important he was to the offense. He led the Falcons in receiving yards for the 3rd time this season. That’s an Atlanta offense that features Julio Jones, who signed a big-money deal earlier in the year, at wide receiver. 

Hooper tallied 117 yards off 8 receptions for an average of 14.6 yards per play. He snagged himself a touchdown in the process, for just his third of the season. 

He did it with sure hands and separationNext-Gen Stats charts Hooper as having 4.7 yards of separation at the time of the catch in Week 6. That’s good enough for 4th in the league behind only Willie Snead (5.4), Nelson Agholor (4.8), and Albert Wilson (4.8). His 8 receptions came off 8 targets for a 100% completion percentage. Tyler Lockett and George Kittle were the only other eligible players to achieve the feat in Week 6.

ADVERTISING

Tight End number one?

Hooper’s performance in Week 6 earned him the number one tight end OSM ranking. It’s become a habit for the fourth-year man out of Stanford.

He was also the number one ranked tight end in Week 1 with a grade of 51.42 and Week 4, where he logged a 47.33 grade. In fact, Hooper has been in the top-five in all bar one game this season. Interestingly enough, that game he still received a “good” grading of 31.99. It was also the only Falcons win of the season.

How does that compare to the established tight end hierarchy?

When people talk about the top tight ends in the NFL, you hear names like Travis Kelce, George Kittle, and Zach Ertz. There’s a group of young tight ends that are slowly creeping into the conversation, including O.J. Howard and Evan Engram. Even players that are coming towards the end of their careers, like Delanie Walker and Jason Witten, garner more attention and credit than Hooper.

Of those aforementioned players, Kittle leads the pack with a 42.06 grade on the season, and an eighth-place ranking. Witten is next best with a grade of 40.26. You have to scroll past Howard (37.80), Engram (36.61), and Walker (35.02) until you find Kelce lurking as the 23rd ranked tight end with a 34.09 grade. Ertz, so often considered pivotal to the success of the Philadelphia Eagles, is just 32nd.

Hooper is the third-ranked tight end in the league with a 45.13 overall grade. Without that 31.99 grade significantly pulling his average down, he would be the number one overall ranked tight end for the season.

Let’s start putting some respect on his name when it comes to the tight end conversation.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

15 hours ago, atljbo said:

I advocated on this board two weeks before trade deadline the Falcons should have dealt Hooper for a 2nd rd pick or 3rd as we couldn’t or shouldn’t spend $10mm on a Tight End who is good but not in the class of Kelce/Kittle/Ertz.

I was mostly shot down by TATF.   If we let Hooper walk, which I still agree we should, then failure to trade him (he was mostly healthy before deadline) - then not trading him was a mistake.   Best we could hope for is 3rd rd comp pick which is basically an early 4th rd pick.

Falcons cannot pay Hooper.  Would be DUMB.

The Don™ likes this

27 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I advocated on this board two weeks before trade deadline the Falcons should have dealt Hooper for a 2nd rd pick or 3rd as we couldn’t or shouldn’t spend $10mm on a Tight End who is good but not in the class of Kelce/Kittle/Ertz.

I was mostly shot down by TATF.   If we let Hooper walk, which I still agree we should, then failure to trade him (he was mostly healthy before deadline) - then not trading him was a mistake.   Best we could hope for is 3rd rd comp pick which is basically an early 4th rd pick.

Falcons cannot pay Hooper.  Would be DUMB.

I mean, you're not wrong with trading him when we had the chance and virtually no playoff hope. Same thing with Freeman. They could have dealt him to the Lions but we didn't want to pull the trigger. 

If they cut Freeman now and just let Hooper walk, it shows how stupid and prideful Quinn and TD can be sometimes. I guess they didn't want to give the impression to Blank that they had given up on the season when in fact they could have gotten picks for guys that may or may not be back.

g-dawg likes this