Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
autigerfan

Cut Neal and re-sign to prove it deal.

45 posts in this topic

Neal is a tough case as he isn't really worth the $6M he commands having picked up his team option given the injury concerns.  Do you think it is realistic to work out a cut & re-sign to 1 Year prove it type of a contract at $2 M?

13 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Think he'd find a team desperate enough to sign him for 6mil or more in FA and then stay healthy and ball out with them.

Even if he didn't stay healthy he isnt coming back for 2mil. Teams will pay anything for talent.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if we could trade him for a decent pick tbh. Could bite us, but he was bad last year even before he got injured. Love the guy but I just don't know

Charles Wright and Ovie_Lover like this

I am of the understanding that 5th year options are fully guaranteed for injury.

Which I’m pretty sure means there’s basically zero financial gain in cutting Neal at this point because we are on the hook for the full $6m unless he can somehow miraculously pass a physical before the league year starts on March 18th.

16 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if we could trade him for a decent pick tbh. Could bite us, but he was bad last year even before he got injured. Love the guy but I just don't know

Can’t imagine he really has very much trade value right now. What team wants to give up assets AND have to pay him $6m or work out a long term deal w/ him when he’s coming off back to back lost seasons due to significant injuries? Plus, as you mentioned he wasn’t particularly good when he was out there last year. His game is all about big hits but rule changes in the past few seasons have negated a good deal of what made him special. He’s not very good in coverage, he’ll draw tons of penalties w/ the way he hits people, and he’s seemingly kinda fragile.

I think we’d be thrilled if some team would give up a 4th or 5th just so we could get him off the books.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

16 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He was bad before the injury? He had 14 tackles in less than 3 games. He went out early in the first game against the Vikings and then his season ending injury in week 3 against the Colts.  The only full game he played was against the Eagles and he had 9 tackles.  Earl Thomas and Kevin Byard didn't even come close to that many tackles in a game.

When he's healthy, he's amazing.  The problem is that he's rarely healthy. He was NEVER bad.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

4 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

He’s already proven he can play when he’s healthy. Someone that doesn’t have to pinch pennies this offseason like we do will sign him

We're talking about 2 debilitating injuries back-to-back.

Unfortunately he has to prove he can play again.  Most of the time guys aren't the same when coming back from one debilitating injury, let alone back to back.

The odds are not in his favor.  Especially when you think about the longevity of similar players that play the SS position with similar levels of physicality.

Cam Chancellor 7 years

William Moore 6 years

The Falcons can't go into next year counting on Neal to make it through the season.  By the nature of the way he plays he wasn't going to have a long career anyway.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

6 minutes ago, Falc0n said:

He was bad before the injury? He had 14 tackles in less than 3 games. He went out early in the first game against the Vikings and then his season ending injury in week 3 against the Colts.  The only full game he played was against the Eagles and he had 9 tackles.  Earl Thomas and Kevin Byard didn't even come close to that many tackles in a game.

When he's healthy, he's amazing.  The problem is that he's rarely healthy. He was NEVER bad.

Talk about tackles all ya want homie - he was blowing coverages and making mistakes. I love Neal but I'm just saying what I saw. He didn't look good last year. The condensed games are on YouTube if you wanna look yourself.

Boise Falcon Fan and SirCzah like this

8 minutes ago, Falc0n said:

So you're saying last year he was only able to make it through 1 game?

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

Talk about tackles all ya want homie - he was blowing coverages and making mistakes. I love Neal but I'm just saying what I saw. He didn't look good last year. The condensed games are on YouTube if you wanna look yourself.

Yes I will talk about tackles when it comes to safeties because that's what they do... The only full game he played was against Eagles which he dominated.  The only blown coverage he had was when he fell down in the end zone against the Colts from his season-ending Achilles injury. Maybe you should take another look at those condensed games you're referring to.

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

So you're saying last year he was only able to make it through 1 game?

Yup. Not too good. He's a high-risk player that has a major upside if he's healthy.  But that's a huge "if".  After back-to-back Achilles injuries I don't think he's work the risk when Kazee is doing so well.

9 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

We're talking about 2 debilitating injuries back-to-back.

Unfortunately he has to prove he can play again.  Most of the time guys aren't the same when coming back from one debilitating injury, let alone back to back.

The odds are not in his favor.  Especially when you think about the longevity of similar players that play the SS position with similar levels of physicality.

Cam Chancellor 7 years

William Moore 6 years

The Falcons can't go into next year counting on Neal to make it through the season.  By the nature of the way he plays he wasn't going to have a long career anyway.

Def agree w the fact it’ll be hard for him to come back from injury. And yeah the longevity of each position isn’t incredibly high outside of the untouchable cash cows known as qbs. My real gripe is that too many ppl think players will take less money. There’s a thread every other day saying how we should low ball someone and it’s just not how it works

One way or another you got to cut him. The chances he comes back and is a decent player are pretty slim after 2 season ending ACL tears.

If we do cut him and resign him for cheap it should be as a backup. We should not rely on him to be our starting SS.

40 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Def agree w the fact it’ll be hard for him to come back from injury. And yeah the longevity of each position isn’t incredibly high outside of the untouchable cash cows known as qbs. My real gripe is that too many ppl think players will take less money. There’s a thread every other day saying how we should low ball someone and it’s just not how it works

Agree with you there.

Too many people idealize football players like they're samurai and the honor of playing good football should be a reward in itself.

And if you respond "would take less money at your job" it's always "I don't play a game."  Nevermind there are only 1440 active roster NFL jobs on earth and only a select few can actually fill those jobs but whatever.

I've always said they should make what they can while they can.  It's not their fault they're getting paid.  It's ownership.

9 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Agree with you there.

Too many people idealize football players like they're samurai and the honor of playing good football should be a reward in itself.

And if you respond "would take less money at your job" it's always "I don't play a game."  Nevermind there are only 1440 active roster NFL jobs on earth and only a select few can actually fill those jobs but whatever.

I've always said they should make what they can while they can.  It's not their fault they're getting paid.  It's ownership.

Agreed, they should go out and get what they can, but I don't want to hear any crying when the team can't go out and get the middle of the road guys that could put them over the top.  MR, JJ, GJ, Debo, etc. got all they could get. Good for them, but it's not necessarily what was best for their team. These guys got all the money they could get, so if the team can't go out and sign a few other guys that would put them on the path for a Super Bowl, they get what they deserve.

I used to hope that MR, JJ, etc. would take a little less, so the team wouldn't be hamstrung by the cap. That didn't happen, and it probably never will.  My thoughts were always that if MR took less, but the Falcons won a Super Bowl, he'd make it back many times over with endorsements.

Vandy and Charles Wright like this

56 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

One way or another you got to cut him. The chances he comes back and is a decent player are pretty slim after 2 season ending ACL tears.

If we do cut him and resign him for cheap it should be as a backup. We should not rely on him to be our starting SS.

Neal's injury the first time was an ACL tear.

This time it was an achilles tear.