Restructure Vet Contracts

autigerfan

As I'm not an expert in the financial ramifications both long-term and short-term to restructuring veteran contracts I'd be interested for any input on the pros and cons of approaching guys like Ryan and Matthews, Mack and possibly Julio of restructuring to potenially provide some cap relief and free up money to address our deficiencies, re-sign key free agents. 

46 minutes ago, Romfal said:

Jamon Brown and Carpenter were really **** deals, would be great if they could restructure those. Otherwise Trufant but he may just get cut

Gotta feeling they'll just cut Carpenter outright and eat the dead cap. Brown's dead cap is too big to cut so he'll probably compete for the LG spot. 

3 hours ago, vel said:

They already restructured Matt. Don't think they can restructure Julio until a year after his deal. Same with Jake, who restructured in Sept 2019. Grady already restructured. Mack would need to add a year to his deal to get relief. 

Mack makes the most sense. Give him a two-three year extension while structuring the third year to where he can be cut with minimal dead cap. He still has some years left and he looked good the second half of the season. 

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

Mack makes the most sense. Give him a two-three year extension while structuring the third year to where he can be cut with minimal dead cap. He still has some years left and he looked good the second half of the season. 

Or he just retires. He’s outlived the average playing time for a center. It’s almost that time

13 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Or he just retires. He’s outlived the average playing time for a center. It’s almost that time

Creates another hole. We're already cap stricken. 

I look at it this way. Everyone on the line plays better when the person next to them plays better. The run game and OL took another step when Lindstrom came back. Mack's leadership and experience is invaluable. Not saying you, but I think some people underrate a good center. Just gotta solidify that LG spot. Mack's still got two years left at least. Brown and Carpenter are the ones we need to be talking about if we're trying to get rid of somebody. Not Mack.

28 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Creates another hole. We're already cap stricken. 

I look at it this way. Everyone on the line plays better when the person next to them plays better. The run game and OL took another step when Lindstrom came back. Mack's leadership and experience is invaluable. Not saying you, but I think some people underrate a good center. Just gotta solidify that LG spot. Mack's still got two years left at least. Brown and Carpenter are the ones we need to be talking about if we're trying to get rid of somebody. Not Mack.

You mentioned just outright cutting him in the last year of the extension so I was saying at 36 he could just retire. Hopefully by then they have a plan in place to replace him anyway. 

14 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You mentioned just outright cutting him in the last year of the extension so I was saying at 36 he could just retire. Hopefully by then they have a plan in place to replace him anyway. 

Right. I was talking about squeezing the last good year(s) of his career and then being able to cut him if necessary.