Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
red2play

Can someone explain why Lloyd Loves Huerter and Jones?

10 posts in this topic

Huerter isn't hitting 3's consistently and his defense sucks.  Damian Jones ABSOLUTELY sucks but I keep looking at Fernando just looking from the bench.  I don't get it.  Collins is bad on defense too.  Its hard to win when you have Jones, Collins, Trae and Huerter on the floor all at the same time.  Also,  to see Gordon torch Collins all the time ....  Who puts FOUR defensive liabilities on the floor all the time.  I don't get it.

Pretty sure even Bremby is hurt. People really don't get how bad this team is and the injuries we are dealing with. I used to complain about CLP's lineups until you realize that most of the time he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. A lot of our guys are inconsistent and only good at one thing.

When you have a competent roster with quality depth, it is easy to create lineups and mask deficiencies, but when you have a poor roster and are dealing with injuries and suspensions, it exacerbates the problem

I think Huerter will be the starter for ROS, but I think Cam's continued growth means he will be the starter next year. Hunter and Reddish were brought in to be our wings of the future. They are two elite potential two way players and they are showing strong glimpses. Just need more consistency offensively. Cannot wait to see what they look like next year. 

Mr.11, jayu70 and blkbigdog35 like this

16 hours ago, red2play said:

Huerter isn't hitting 3's consistently and his defense sucks.  Damian Jones ABSOLUTELY sucks but I keep looking at Fernando just looking from the bench.  I don't get it.  Collins is bad on defense too.  Its hard to win when you have Jones, Collins, Trae and Huerter on the floor all at the same time.  Also,  to see Gordon torch Collins all the time ....  Who puts FOUR defensive liabilities on the floor all the time.  I don't get it.

These guys are in their 1st/2nd/3rd years and ALL need serious development.  Including Huerter.

They just made moves that confirm Damien Jones isn't part of this team's future, so that's already been dealt with.  But Capella and Skal are hurt, so Jones is going to get floor time until probably after the AS break.

Bruno has been off and on hurt, so he's missed time.  Not to mention he's obviously struggling trying to learn our system.

They want our 4's and 5's to be multiple and capable of taking on switches instantly inside and outside the paint, hence why we now have 5 guys who can play both positions, with Jones the 6th guy and odd man out who can't.  And Bruno is clearly having a tough time from the perimeter.  He looks okay at the 5, but they need him to play the 4 too, as all our bigs have to.

This is only year 2 or 3 of a complete rebuild.  These guys aren't going to get good at defense and shooting by sitting on the bench.  And we aren't going to be playing for any championships just yet.  So honestly, it really doesn't matter who's starting or playing in what groupings yet.  We don't have a complete team right now so we're not going to get a rational product on the floor.

Between injuries and suspensions and more injuries and trades and more injuries, we're actually finally starting to look half decent.  Defense will come once everyone is back.  Good defense breeds more good defense.

jayu70, Mr.11, blkbigdog35 and 3 others like this

I don’t know, but my dream scenerio is to have this as our starting unit in 2021

PG: Trae

SG: Reddish

SF: Hunter 

PF: Capela

C: Wiseman

Trade Collins in the offseason.  Time to start playing defense.

46 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t know, but my dream scenerio is to have this as our starting unit in 2021

First, there's no way to bank on getting Wiseman.  We're not the worst team in the league, or even the 3rd worst, so we're probably going to have less of a chance at the #1 pick, especially after the moves we just made.

Second, the main reason Trae, Huerter, and Collins don't play defense is because they think they need to conserve energy for the 35+ minutes they're "desperately needed" for offense.  And, when they are on defense, they think the highest percentage chance they have at scoring is a fast-break.  So they are constantly leaning that direction, and it consistently keeps them out of position on the defensive end of the floor.

They don't have faith in perimeter shooting (except Trae), or offensive rebounding and second chances.  And they definitely have no confidence in team passing on the offensive end.  They're turnover machines when anyone but Trae attempts an assist, and even when simply pushing ball movement around the horn working for an opening.

Trading Collins would be a horrible move.

We just need everyone to start hitting shots at a higher clip, including our bench.  We need the team to gel so they get more comfortable with tendencies so we can reduce turnovers.  And we need guys to stop thinking the team can't score without them so they feel more comfortable exerting energy into active defense.

We don't want guys playing 35+ minutes.  We need starters playing less minutes so they can put more effort into defense, while also being more efficient on offense.  And our bench able to come in and not allow freaking 14-2 runs against them because they can't score or rebound.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Wiseman too.  But I'd love to see any 2 of Wiseman, Capella, Collins, and Dedmon on the floor splitting minutes and able to put out max effort on defense without any dropoff on offense efficiency.  It's easier to do that when you have great depth off the bench and your starters aren't blowing their load only on offense.

Edited by Beef

1 hour ago, Beef said:

First, there's no way to bank on getting Wiseman.  We're not the worst team in the league, or even the 3rd worst, so we're probably going to have less of a chance at the #1 pick, especially after the moves we just made.

Second, the main reason Trae, Huerter, and Collins don't play defense is because they think they need to conserve energy for the 35+ minutes they're "desperately needed" for offense.  And, when they are on defense, they think the highest percentage chance they have at scoring is a fast-break.  So they are constantly leaning that direction, and it consistently keeps them out of position on the defensive end of the floor.

They don't have faith in perimeter shooting (except Trae), or offensive rebounding and second chances.  And they definitely have no confidence in team passing on the offensive end.  They're turnover machines when anyone but Trae attempts an assist, and even when simply pushing ball movement around the horn working for an opening.

Trading Collins would be a horrible move.

We just need everyone to start hitting shots at a higher clip, including our bench.  We need the team to gel so they get more comfortable with tendencies so we can reduce turnovers.  And we need guys to stop thinking the team can't score without them so they feel more comfortable exerting energy into active defense.

We don't want guys playing 35+ minutes.  We need starters playing less minutes so they can put more effort into defense, while also being more efficient on offense.  And our bench able to come in and not allow freaking 14-2 runs against them because they can't score or rebound.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Wiseman too.  But I'd love to see any 2 of Wiseman, Capella, Collins, and Dedmon on the floor splitting minutes and able to put out max effort on defense without any dropoff on offense efficiency.  It's easier to do that when you have great depth off the bench and your starters aren't blowing their load only on offense.

Huerter, Trae & Collins are bad defenders.  To say anyone but Trae is conserving energy is simply not true

14 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Wake up from the dream bro....Capela is not a PF. He doesn't have any kind of handle to even masquerade as one.

14 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Huerter, Trae & Collins are bad defenders.  To say anyone but Trae is conserving energy is simply not true

This and add Jones to the list.  Looking at the Celtics beat the Clippers last night just made me MORE upset about the lack of defense.   

On 2/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, red2play said:

Loyd is in development mode. He is still developing guys like Huerter and Jones. Jones is only getting a little time and thats mostly because Bruno was nursing a hamstring injury. Huerter is a good defensive player. He is a good all around player but like most players, hey need consistent minutes to reach their potential. This year, he is kit measuring success by only wins and losses but by the growth of his young players. Jones probably won’t see the floor that much going forward because of the trades. 

jayu70 and Beef like this