Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Falcons Fan MVP

How would you feel about Jaden Graham as our starting tight end in 2020?

57 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Something tells me coaching staff feels the same. Is faster than Hooper. Caught everything thrown his way. Willing blocker. Heck was first man down on special teams coverage units and not afraid to tackle.

Upside youth and cheap.

Yes sir! Not sure what more anyone could ask for. 

Graham will surprise. I wish he and MR2 would do the offseason thingy. As much as I hate it we got to let hoop walk to make $$$ work out for defense. The defense needs playmakers or let me say a pass rush that’s been missing since the GM got here three decades ago. 

There would be an obvious downgrade, but Graham would be just fine in my opinion. He isn't as smooth/savy of a route runner or as good of a blocker as Hoop, but I think he is slept on by many. Not to mention he got quality snaps this season so he is going to put a better product on the field. I want to keep Hoop if possible, but I like Graham. 

On 2/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

Probably won't be as good right off the bat, but I'd trust a corps of him, Toilolo, and Adam Trautman/Harrison Bryant just fine. Throw that money at the defense.

I agree.  We are going into this next season with bigger needs than TE and as much as I want Hooper to return it just might not be in the cards, especially if they decide to go after someone like Fowler.  We can use our draft capital to bring in one of the top TE rookies and pair him with Graham, then bring back someone like Toilolo or another low cost FA TE, (maybe after we release Stocker he'll take a huge paycut since Koetter seems to like him, even though i'd prefer not to keep him) 

I really like what I see from Harrison Bryant, but someone also brought up Parkinson later in the draft that we could develop like we did Hooper.

The people wanting to run Hoop off will miss him when he’s gone. He is a bonafide third down and red zone threat. Ryan loves a good TE. Especially in the zone. Just look at the last few Super Bowl champions. Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, etc. Careful what you pray for. You might just get it.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The people wanting to run Hoop off will miss him when he’s gone. He is a bonafide third down and red zone threat. Ryan loves a good TE. Especially in the zone. Just look at the last few Super Bowl champions. Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, etc. Careful what you pray for. You might just get it.

I was just thinking this. Everyone now says he is just okay, not worth keeping etc...those same people will be bashing TD and the new TE corps next season if play falls off.

Grady got the same treatment last offseason. People don’t wanna see our guys get their due, but always want to throw money at free agents (who usually aren’t top 5-7 at their position like Hooper and Jarrett)

10 hours ago, Diggable Birds said:

I’m good with Graham starting I thought he should hv gotten more snaps last season.  No way Hoop is worth 10-13 mill. Money for the Defense we have big holes to fill

No, he is. Hoop's arrow has been trending upward, sharply, ever since he was drafted. It'll eventually taper off, but by then I believe he'll firmly be one of the top TEs in the league. When Ryan has depended on Hooper to carry the load offensively, Hooper has delivered. He's a serviceable blocker, although he'll need to work more on that aspect of his game.

All told, the guy is a 2x Pro-Bowl TE. You just don't let guys like that go. There's a reason why teams tend to keep premier TEs, especially those that can block as well (or almost as well) as they can catch.

The success of our franchise does not lie on the shoulders of a tight end.

Let me ask y’all this. Has Koetter ever had a tight end surpass 1,000 yards? Why pay a tight end as if our OC bases his game plan around a tight end? If Koetter is as good as some say then he should be here to stay a while, right? Does he want a tight end eating up 10 mil a year for the next 5 years. Of course that’s assuming DK will be around for 5 more years. 

On 2/10/2020 at 9:48 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you think he can get the job done? 

He could be a part of a 1a/1b combo with a rookie, but not a workhorse TE. Thaddeus Moss is a solid all-around TE that could be a 3 down TE from day 1. Cole Kmet is also a solid TE. Both are the consenaus 1 and 2 ranked TE in this years class by most rankings. One, or both, of them may not even go til round 3. 

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

And he's only 25 yrs old. 

Need to find a way to resign him to a reasonable contract. 

Franchise tag if possible. They still got that transitional tag thingee?

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Hooper may be too expensive unfortunately. We have so much money tied up in Matt, Julio and the offensive line and we need to address defense. With that said I still hope Hooper stays and we draft all defense.

5 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Hooper may be too expensive unfortunately. We have so much money tied up in Matt, Julio and the offensive line and we need to address defense. With that said I still hope Hooper stays and we draft all defense.

There's a way to do it. The offensive side is expensive but don't forget some of that salary will be coming off the books sooner than later. Mack, Free, Carp, Brown, Sombrero, Stocker, Schaub, etc. That's $22M.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:44 PM, OrthoPTSD said:

Something tells me coaching staff feels the same. Is faster than Hooper. Caught everything thrown his way. Willing blocker. Heck was first man down on special teams coverage units and not afraid to tackle.

Upside youth and cheap.

Koetter has never had a TE go for 1000 yards receiving in a season. I also don’t think a TE has ever caught more than 8 touchdowns in a season under DK in 13 years of play call. Does a zebra change it’s stripes in its 14th season at age 61? Maybe.... but probably not. 

10 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There's a way to do it. The offensive side is expensive but don't forget some of that salary will be coming off the books sooner than later. Mack, Free, Carp, Brown, Sombrero, Stocker, Schaub, etc. That's $22M.

Is Hooper worth keeping in this system tho? I was told Koetter has been doing such a great job and that he’s forgot more ab football than I’ve ever known. If he’s doing so well with our offense he’ll probably be around for a little while, right? Although in 13 years of calling plays in the nfl Koetter has never had a TE reach 1,000 yards receiving. I also don’t believe he’s ever had a TE surpass 8 touchdowns in a single season. 13 years worth of numbers I’m going off of here. Do you like the odds of that stat changing in his 14th season? 

1 hour ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Is Hooper worth keeping in this system tho? I was told Koetter has been doing such a great job and that he’s forgot more ab football than I’ve ever known. If he’s doing so well with our offense he’ll probably be around for a little while, right? Although in 13 years of calling plays in the nfl Koetter has never had a TE reach 1,000 yards receiving. I also don’t believe he’s ever had a TE surpass 8 touchdowns in a single season. 13 years worth of numbers I’m going off of here. Do you like the odds of that stat changing in his 14th season? 

Hoop just set career highs in targets, receptions, yards, TDs and 1st downs. He was top 5 amongst TEs in receiving and went to a Pro Bowl. In Kutty's system. 

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Hoop just set career highs in targets, receptions, yards, TDs and 1st downs. He was top 5 amongst TEs in receiving and went to a Pro Bowl. In Kutty's system. 

Career high in targets and receptions but still short of 1,000 yards and double digit touchdowns. On a team with Ridley and Julio how is he worth 10 million dollars a year when we have gaping holes on defense. He also isn’t that great at blocking either. Julio as you famously dubbed a “shiny hood ornament” Is more important to this team than Hooper. The success of this franchise does not lie on the shoulders of a TE

20 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Career high in targets and receptions but still short of 1,000 yards and double digit touchdowns. On a team with Ridley and Julio how is he worth 10 million dollars a year when we have gaping holes on defense. He also isn’t that great at blocking either. Julio as you famously dubbed a “shiny hood ornament” Is more important to this team than Hooper. The success of this franchise does not lie on the shoulders of a TE

His blocking will get waaay better. Again, he's 25.

It's not like he cant block at all lol, just needs improvement to get us home.

Short of a 1,000 yards, yes, but he did miss several games with injury. More than likely would have hit that mark if healthy.