Falcons Fan MVP

Is there any way Dimitroff can sign Hooper to where the cap doesn't hit us hard until later?

48 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I don’t need a CBA or a cap to tell me 2021 has us in a worse cap situation than 2020 since whatever CBA applies to all 32 NFL teams last I checked.

Guess it's a good thing the team with the most cap space doesn't win the super bowl. Most teams don't have a franchise QB, wr, lt, dt and mlb. We do. Get over it. Again, you have zero idea what the new cba will bring cap wise. The cap could jump 50 mil. Nobody has a single clue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Guess it's a good thing the team with the most cap space doesn't win the super bowl. Most teams don't have a franchise QB, wr, lt, dt and mlb. We do. Get over it. Again, you have zero idea what the new cba will bring cap wise. The cap could jump 50 mil. Nobody has a single clue.

 

Whatever the CBA is or winds up being doesn’t change that we have $190M dedicated toward 32 players in 2021.  In 2020, our Top 51 accounts for $194.7M.  Hence, 2021 is worse...the original claim.  You’re right, nobody has a single clue on the 2021 cap - it could stay the same, but screw it, let’s just spend...

Its astonishing I’m having to explain this to someone who is at least 50...

AlabamaFalconFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Whatever the CBA is or winds up being doesn’t change that we have $190M dedicated toward 32 players in 2021.  In 2020, our Top 51 accounts for $194.7M.  Hence, 2021 is worse...the original claim.  You’re right, nobody has a single clue on the 2021 cap - it could stay the same, but screw it, let’s just spend...

Its astonishing I’m having to explain this to someone who is at least 50...

Cut Brown, Carpenter, Free and Sambrailo, all guys who are almost assuredly gone and you're 40 mil under the cap. Easily.

 

This year we have no easy cuts without creating tons of dead money. There is no June 1st option either. This year will be tougher to navigate, period.

UnrealfalcoN likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

How exactly does the CBA keep us from cutting players?

 Because is the post 1 June cuts. If those were available freeman and trufant would be gone.

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If he signed for 10 mil a year the cheapest his cap hit could be this year would be 7 mil.

Is that some kind of new CBA rule or are you just making sht up? I don't recall any 70% year one min on AAV rule. See Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Preston Smith and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If he signed for 10 mil a year the cheapest his cap hit could be this year would be 7 mil.

That is not accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooper is gone, you can tell by all the Front Office interviews that they are going to let him walk.

We pay inept players like Freeman and Vic tons of money but we are going to let a 25 year old top 5 TE walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t be mad if they let him walk he’s not a game changer Kittles/Kelce types are the 10-12 mill types.Use that money to sign a SS no faith in Neal even if healthy he’s limited or sign a vet Rusher then drat a DE/DT.

Shaq Barrett.
Yanik Ingwakue

Dante Fowler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Thomas Dimitroff is excellent at moving money around. Do you think there is any way he can work it to where Austin Hooper's contract would be cheaper in 2020 and we'd pay more in 2021-2022 or something like that? Possibly when the salary cap increases or something? 

Yes, it's possible but very difficult. They'll do exactly what they did last year. Pay out their highest paid players as a bonus instead of salary. 

The problem is that the highest paid player that they choose (last year it was Matt Ryan where they converted a chunk of his salary as a bonus),  would have to agree with the new terms. It's always difficult bringing in another party. Not to mention bonuses are taxed differently so the 3rd party is actually sacrificing some money to get immediate and guaranteed money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Diggable Birds said:

I wouldn’t be mad if they let him walk he’s not a game changer Kittles/Kelce types are the 10-12 mill types.Use that money to sign a SS no faith in Neal even if healthy he’s limited or sign a vet Rusher then drat a DE/DT.

Shaq Barrett.
Yanik Ingwakue

Dante Fowler

He is, our offense was trash the games he was out last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Is that some kind of new CBA rule or are you just making sht up? I don't recall any 70% year one min on AAV rule. See Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Preston Smith and others.

Because there's no CBA in place yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason%3fplatform=amp

 

The '30 percent' rule

Article 13, Section 7 of the CBA mandates that "no player contract extending into a season beyond the Final League Year may provide for an annual increase in salary ... of more than 30 percent of the salary provided for in the Final League Year, per year, either in the season after the Final League Year or in any subsequent season covered by the Player Contract."

So if a player signs a five-year contract this offseason, and his 2020 salary is $10 million, the rules state his scheduled 2021, 2022 and 2023 salaries can't be higher than $13 million, $16 million and $19 million, respectively. And yes, there are already contracts on the books that reflect this. The deal Odell Beckham Jr. signed with the Giants last summer, for example, provides for a higher salary this year ($17 million) than in 2020 ($14.25 million), 2021 ($15.75 million), 2022 ($15 million) and 2023 ($15 million).

 

 

Why the f would I go out of my way to make that up? 

Ovie_Lover and Falc0n like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Because there's no CBA in place yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason%3fplatform=amp

 

The '30 percent' rule

Article 13, Section 7 of the CBA mandates that "no player contract extending into a season beyond the Final League Year may provide for an annual increase in salary ... of more than 30 percent of the salary provided for in the Final League Year, per year, either in the season after the Final League Year or in any subsequent season covered by the Player Contract."

So if a player signs a five-year contract this offseason, and his 2020 salary is $10 million, the rules state his scheduled 2021, 2022 and 2023 salaries can't be higher than $13 million, $16 million and $19 million, respectively. And yes, there are already contracts on the books that reflect this. The deal Odell Beckham Jr. signed with the Giants last summer, for example, provides for a higher salary this year ($17 million) than in 2020 ($14.25 million), 2021 ($15.75 million), 2022 ($15 million) and 2023 ($15 million).

 

 

Why the f would I go out of my way to make that up? 

Where in that article does it say a free agent’s new 2020 deal carries a minimum Year One cap hit of 70% of AAV? Quote it please sir. I might have missed it or maybe you misinterpreted it. For now I’ll go with the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Where in that article does it say a free agent’s new 2020 deal carries a minimum Year One cap hit of 70% of AAV? Quote it please sir. I might have missed it or maybe you misinterpreted it. For now I’ll go with the latter.

His salary cannot increase by 30% or more in any year after 2020. What does that tell you? I'll go ahead and let you figure it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was actually wrong on the math tho.

If Hooper signs a 5 year, 50 million dollar contract for example a 30% increase each year would look like this

5.5

7.15

9.3

12.09

15.72

 

That is the absolute maximum we could backload a contract with the 30% rule in place. A shorter contract will make this even harder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

His salary cannot increase by 30% or more in any year after 2020. What does that tell you? I'll go ahead and let you figure it out. 

He’s a free agent. Where does it say all free agents will have a minimum year one cap hit of 70% of AAV? Not salary increase. Year one cap hit. Show us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

His salary cannot increase by 30% or more in any year after 2020. What does that tell you? I'll go ahead and let you figure it out. 

**** you're really in his head. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

He’s a free agent. Where does it say all free agents will have a minimum year one cap hit of 70% of AAV? Not salary increase. Year one cap hit. Show us.

I'm not spoon feeding you. Learn to read.

If somebody's salary cannot increase by more than x amount then obviously the contract has to start at x amount or the math is impossible. Take a 5 year 50 million dollar contract and tell me how you can start the contract at less than 5.5 mil without having it increase by 30% in any year and have it add up to 50. Show us the math oh wise one . 

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo it comes down to this.. Does anyone believe Hooper is our ticket to the superbowl?? If not, let his walk.. I absolutely believe Hooper isn't the missing piece to the superbowl and signing him i honestly dont believe he will improve our record at all.. If we sign Hooper itll just compound our cap issues.. Hooper is a good player, but right now we need to make good decisions to put us in a decent place to make the playoffs in 2021..at best we'll be a 8-8 team either way this season.. Let not make stupid decisions that will handicap us going forward 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MAD597 said:

He is, our offense was trash the games he was out last year

Hooper didn't make a difference at all imo the games he missed.. Where do you see a difference, id definitely like to see this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Hooper didn't make a difference at all imo the games he missed.. Where do you see a difference, id definitely like to see this? 

Hooper was a glorified check down receiver because the ol didn't provide time for koetter routes to develop. Draft a mid round receiver, use Ridley and Gage a little more and sign a blocking te and his production won't be missed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MAD597 said:

We pay inept players like Freeman and Vic tons of money but we are going to let a 25 year old top 5 TE walk.

Freeman was a top RB when we paid him.  I wouldn't have done it, but he was worth the $$$ at the time.  Still shouldn't have done it.

Vic was still on his rookie contract.  It was an option year, but you're also talking about a guy who regularly flashes for a few games.  Let's not forget, we're only 4 years removed from him leading the league in sacks, and Beasley is #5 all time in Falcons sacks.  As much as he sucks, he's one of the highest performing DE's that we've ever had, sad as that might be.

Regarding Hooper, he's simply going to be too expensive.  That's what happens when the front office drafts well and decides to pay all of their people top billing.  Ryan, J.Jones, Trufant, Freeman, Matthews, D.Jones, and Grady Jarrett.  Of that group, I think that the biggest mistakes were upping J.Jones salary, even though he was under contract, and Freeman. 

When Jones was holding out, mid-contract, we should have traded him for a smorgasbord of draft picks.  No more 20 million dollar cap hit, and probably at least two or three young starters.  If we had done that, then signing Hooper would be pretty easy at this point.

When Freeman was talking contract during Super Bowl week, that should have been the end of him.  I would have straight benched him for the Super Bowl.  If your mind isn't on football, then you don't get to play.  Friendly reminder, he completely whiffed on a blitz and left Ryan out to dry.

All is not lost regarding Hooper.  We could potentially franchise him, then make a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Hooper was a glorified check down receiver because the ol didn't provide time for koetter routes to develop. Draft a mid round receiver, use Ridley and Gage a little more and sign a blocking te and his production won't be missed

Exactly, and we dont fleece our future for no reason at all to hopefully make a run at a decent season in 2021..We've got to make smart decisions going forward to have a chance to compete.. Not sign feel good players at the moment while we have no window to the superbowl 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Hooper didn't make a difference at all imo the games he missed.. Where do you see a difference, id definitely like to see this? 

He was out when we lost to Tampa bay and new Orleans. Matt Ryan got sacked like crazy those games.

MAD597 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now