Falcons Fan MVP

Is there any way Dimitroff can sign Hooper to where the cap doesn't hit us hard until later?

48 posts in this topic

Thomas Dimitroff is excellent at moving money around. Do you think there is any way he can work it to where Austin Hooper's contract would be cheaper in 2020 and we'd pay more in 2021-2022 or something like that? Possibly when the salary cap increases or something? 

MAD597 likes this

31 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

Unfortunately there Is a rule that I believe is you cant have more the a 30% increase in a cap hit for 1 year so that teams cant make a ayers cap be 3m 1 year then go to 12m

There are always way I think... 

Similar to how MIA gave D Parker 4 year 40 mil with 9.5 SB and 21.75 GTD.

His cap hits are 4, 11, 8, 9 the next 4 years.  I'm sure the numbers would be a little higher but not much.  Parker averaged 10 mil per in this contract and Hooper is projected between 9 and 12, so this could be close in terms of how they could make it work, unless I'm missing the layout of his contract?

27 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

There are always way I think... 

Similar to how MIA gave D Parker 4 year 40 mil with 9.5 SB and 21.75 GTD.

His cap hits are 4, 11, 8, 9 the next 4 years.  I'm sure the numbers would be a little higher but not much.  Parker averaged 10 mil per in this contract and Hooper is projected between 9 and 12, so this could be close in terms of how they could make it work, unless I'm missing the layout of his contract?

Free agency starts in like 3 weeks and we havent heard one squeak about the falcons and austin hooper talking 

Borat and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

33 minutes ago, caponine said:

Free agency starts in like 3 weeks and we havent heard one squeak about the falcons and austin hooper talking 

yeah, but that could mean a lot of things, one could be that they are not going to try and bring him back or they are weighing options as to whom they could cut to open more savings in 2020 to be able to not only sign Hooper, but someone else to fill one or more holes necessary, as well as paying for the rookie class.

There are many directions they could be headed and yeah in about 3 weeks we should see just exactly what they have been doing this whole time.

No, nor do I think that Hooper would take a deal that backloads the lion's share of the contract value.

Matt Ryan’s cap hit will be far more than last year, hence why Dimitroff said they’re will be difficult decisions made, I.e letting Hooper walk. 

I am ok with Hooper walking and drafting a young TE and battle our work Graham. Sign a good pass rusher and draft best player available. Wins every time. It’s why we have a second round pick and a future pro bowl player in Ridley.

hooper is good, but he’s not a threat. He’s replaceable. 

Edited by AxManBigFan

2 hours ago, caponine said:

March 18th we still have over a month. 

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

March 18th we still have over a month. 

We don’t have money for free agency at the moment. I don’t think we have over 10 mil in cap space. And without the new CBA, cutting players who need to be cut is kinda hard. So this offseason is going to be interesting.

19 minutes ago, AxManBigFan said:

We don’t have money for free agency at the moment. I don’t think we have over 10 mil in cap space. And without the new CBA, cutting players who need to be cut is kinda hard. So this offseason is going to be interesting.

How exactly does the CBA keep us from cutting players?

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

25 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

How exactly does the CBA keep us from cutting players?

Only thing it prevents is post June 1st designations I think 

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Only thing it prevents is post June 1st designations I think 

Yep, and while we have little cap space at the moment we also have 50 of 52 players under contract so it's not like we also have a roster to fill out.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Yep, and while we have little cap space at the moment we also have 50 of 52 players under contract so it's not like we also have a roster to fill out.

As of now we need to replace:

Beasley

Hooper

Clayborn

Wilson

Wes

Campbell

Koo

Davison

Those are the big ones

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

As of now we need to replace:

Beasley

Hooper

Clayborn

Wilson

Wes

Campbell

Koo

Those are the big ones

Koo was already tendered. I think wes, Wilson and clayborn get resigned. Rest replaced via draft. I'd bet we make one or two mid to high tier fa signings on the lines as well. Bpa draft 

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Koo was already tendered. I think wes, Wilson and clayborn get resigned. Rest replaced via draft. I'd bet we make one or two mid to high tier fa signings on the lines as well. Bpa draft 

Falcons intend to tender Koo but have not done so yet

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Falcons intend to tender Koo but have not done so yet

Are we even allowed to yet? Even so, he doesn't have to be replaced. He's under our control

1 minute ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Our 2021 cap is in worse shape than our 2020 situation...we’d be compounding the problem.

We have tons of easy outs in 2021. Brown, carpenter, Tru, free, ECT ECT. It's significant.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

We have tons of easy outs in 2021. Brown, carpenter, Tru, free, ECT ECT. It's significant.

$190M dedicated toward 32 players at the moment...

1 minute ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

$190M dedicated toward 32 players at the moment...

With absolutely zero idea what the new cba will bring for the cap. It's Doom and gloom just for the sake of it.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

With absolutely zero idea what the new cba will bring for the cap. It's Doom and gloom just for the sake of it.

I don’t need a CBA or a cap to tell me 2021 has us in a worse cap situation than 2020 since whatever CBA applies to all 32 NFL teams last I checked.

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Especially if they add a extra game.. Thats really what alot or agents are waiting for imo.. A decent deal can really look bad according to what lays in the pipeline for the future.. Main reason i believe Dak isnt willing to sign atm