Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuckheadFan

Crazy idea - what if we drafted O-line with 1-16?

45 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

He is too tall to play guard. He will get out leveraged by every dt he goes against.

Alex Lewis, Baltimore; Jeremiah Sirles, Carolina; Kyle Long, Chicago; Parker EhingerAdam Redmond and Dustin Stanton, Dallas; Kenny Wiggins, Detroit; Braden Smith, Indianapolis; Andrew Norwell, Jacksonville; Ike Boettger and Jordan Devey, Kansas City; Michael Schofield III, LA Chargers; Ben Braden, NY Jets; Ethan Pocic, Seattle; Tyler Catalina, Washington

list of 6'6 guards. Notice how few are actually good.

McGary is 6'8 he would get blasted by DT's

RING OF HONOR likes this

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Because of stuff like this. 

Something something struggles with edge rushers something something. 

Rookies have to come out perfect apparently. Players can't get better.

Something something something  surrendered most sacks in NFL something something.

His limitations on draft day are same as they were at the end of the year.  Would you have been happy with Ridley if he had the most drops in football his rookie year?  Pointing out a persons limitations isn’t the same as saying he sucks.  I’ve never said that.  But his strengths are those of a Guard

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Alex Lewis, Baltimore; Jeremiah Sirles, Carolina; Kyle Long, Chicago; Parker EhingerAdam Redmond and Dustin Stanton, Dallas; Kenny Wiggins, Detroit; Braden Smith, Indianapolis; Andrew Norwell, Jacksonville; Ike Boettger and Jordan Devey, Kansas City; Michael Schofield III, LA Chargers; Ben Braden, NY Jets; Ethan Pocic, Seattle; Tyler Catalina, Washington

McGary has unique build and strength.  He is country strong without being fat.  I see no reason he would struggle.  

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Something something something  surrendered most sacks in NFL something something.

His limitations on draft day are same as they were at the end of the year.  Would you have been happy with Ridley if he had the most drops in football his rookie year?  Pointing out a persons limitations isn’t the same as saying he sucks.  I’ve never said that.  But his strengths are those of a Guard

He was second

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Julio has been top 3 a few times. 

McGary was a rookie and flashed and sucked it happens.

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

McGary has unique build and strength.  He is country strong without being fat.  I see no reason he would struggle.  

Do you know what leverage is?

5 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

And I thought he was 6’6?

3ed39118a6c3a8e0227a5bec162fcaf5_kalebMcGary-washington.png

KALEB MCGARY 

OT, Washington

6’6WT 318 lbs

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Solak

Crabbs

Ledyard

Marino

PROS: Just a steamroller of a human being. For his size (6'6, 320) he's an excellent athlete. Has a devastatingly powerful punch--one-handed and two--that can shake defenders off their spot. Will wash defensive tackles on down blocks to the other side of the line; will take double teams 8+ yards deep. Does well to frame rushers; is patient in his kick-slide and maximizes his length and power in punch with instinctual timing. Hand location can get a bit inconsistent but is generally very sound; same can be said of grip strength. Keeps post foot very disciplined against twists, stunts, and late attempts at inside moves. Can bury rushers who try to come inside on him.

An aggressor in pass protection who loves the jump set and looks to finish. Torsion strength jumps off the screen when working leverage on zone flow or redirecting rushers past the QB's set point. Recovery ability, as generated by length, quickness, and poise, excellent for college OT. Rarely loses his head when in a sub-optimal position, maximizing powerful punch to disrupt rushers who've worked their way around his cylinder. Takes good angles on clean releases into the second level in the running game; has a high hit rate on both climbs and screens, where his surprising agility wins once again.

CONS: Kick slide doesn't gain sufficient depth despite athletic profile that would indicate it's well within McGary's ability. Often plays too tight into the offensive guard and is forced into a recovery position on the outside track. Wasn't tested often with speed and an inside counter attached, but when he was, struggled with opening the back door and surrendering pressures as such. Most issues came from alignments wider than a 5-technique.

Feet will fall asleep momentarily on contact in both the running and passing game alike. Particularly egregious on reach blocks: often tries to stop flow immediately once he gains leverage instead of continuing the block through the play, thereby surrendering leverage. Will also show up on jump sets, as he relies to heavily on his length, and can fall victim to push-pull/swim. Kick slide has some bounce/choppiness to it at times, especially when pressed for depth. Upright frame (6'6) can become too stiff in pass sets, losing active base in knees and hips, thereby becoming susceptible to power rushes.

I would be all on board if somehow Whirfs fell, because he has already played inside and is a Zach Martin type of guard. Will just dominate folks. That’s the only way I would be on board. No way would I do it to take a tackle prospect (who I am not even sold on) to move a RT into guard where he hasn’t played and isn’t physically built to play.

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And I thought he was 6’6?

3ed39118a6c3a8e0227a5bec162fcaf5_kalebMcGary-washington.png

KALEB MCGARY 

OT, Washington

6’6WT 318 lbs

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Solak

Crabbs

Ledyard

Marino

PROS: Just a steamroller of a human being. For his size (6'6, 320) he's an excellent athlete. Has a devastatingly powerful punch--one-handed and two--that can shake defenders off their spot. Will wash defensive tackles on down blocks to the other side of the line; will take double teams 8+ yards deep. Does well to frame rushers; is patient in his kick-slide and maximizes his length and power in punch with instinctual timing. Hand location can get a bit inconsistent but is generally very sound; same can be said of grip strength. Keeps post foot very disciplined against twists, stunts, and late attempts at inside moves. Can bury rushers who try to come inside on him.

An aggressor in pass protection who loves the jump set and looks to finish. Torsion strength jumps off the screen when working leverage on zone flow or redirecting rushers past the QB's set point. Recovery ability, as generated by length, quickness, and poise, excellent for college OT. Rarely loses his head when in a sub-optimal position, maximizing powerful punch to disrupt rushers who've worked their way around his cylinder. Takes good angles on clean releases into the second level in the running game; has a high hit rate on both climbs and screens, where his surprising agility wins once again.

CONS: Kick slide doesn't gain sufficient depth despite athletic profile that would indicate it's well within McGary's ability. Often plays too tight into the offensive guard and is forced into a recovery position on the outside track. Wasn't tested often with speed and an inside counter attached, but when he was, struggled with opening the back door and surrendering pressures as such. Most issues came from alignments wider than a 5-technique.

Feet will fall asleep momentarily on contact in both the running and passing game alike. Particularly egregious on reach blocks: often tries to stop flow immediately once he gains leverage instead of continuing the block through the play, thereby surrendering leverage. Will also show up on jump sets, as he relies to heavily on his length, and can fall victim to push-pull/swim. Kick slide has some bounce/choppiness to it at times, especially when pressed for depth. Upright frame (6'6) can become too stiff in pass sets, losing active base in knees and hips, thereby becoming susceptible to power rushes.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kaleb-mcgary?id=32194d43-4703-7471-27c0-bc59a6bb256c

Was watching Uche highlights so watch Wirfs in this.  Would be well worth the pick if he fell to play guard now and tackle if needed. (disclosure I'm a Hawkeye fan)

1989Fan likes this

Remember this is a thought experiment.

Question 1) - what do Falcons need to get the killer o-line?

---->  If they get the o-line done, do they REALLY need anything else on O?

Question 2) Can you rebuild the D without the first rounder, but with all the other picks?

---->  Can you rebuild the D with two 2's, a 3, a 4 and a 5?

Did Mike Smith come back?

The young OL need to set their roots and grow where they have been planted. Moving them around would be stupid.

Edited by RubberDucky

7 hours ago, BuckheadFan said:

Not advocating this, but let's do a thought experiment.   Draft Mekhi Becton (6' 7" 369 lbs!!!) with round 1-#16 as a RT and move McGary to guard. 

What an o-line we would have!!  Frankly, we could spend the rest of our draft capital on D

I think it’s a valid query. It is a classic BPA over need discussion. Some pundits are comping him to Bryant McKinny. I wouldn’t go that far. But as JD alluded to we seem O focused in recent draft history. 

17 hours ago, ATL_666 said:

I would argue that DL & OL have both been problems for 11+ seasons.  Shanny schemed together what looked like a great OL in '16 with very mediocre talent.  But outside of that year you have the year when Dahl & Clabo were maulers and the rest of the years the OL has been just as much a liability as the DL.   I would be perfectly happy if we took interior OL in round 1 & DL in with both seconds.  Just look at last season, our OL sucked the entire season, while our DL sucked the first half and dominated the second half.  

TD can't build trenches to save his life. If our OL and DL are crap again this year I hope TD is fired.

ATL_666 likes this

18 hours ago, dapanch420 said:

Yes and move matt ryan to wr

**** yea lets make a custom Vick for QB without the dog fighting too

also can we bring back The Hammer and Jamal Anderson? 

oo let's put Deion at WR along with Matty Ice and have Julio at CB. 

17 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

No he did not give up the most sacks in the NFL... But yeah he was up there, 4th most surrendered sacks in the NFL. But he also faced some of the best edge rushers in the NFL in almost every game. As a rookie you have to give him some slack for that.  He also started the season out of shape due to surgery but he still started every game.

He just needs to work on his feet. It's actually a simple drill and as long as he works on his quickness this offseason you should see a dramatic improvement.

50 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

TD can't build trenches to save his life. If our OL and DL are crap again this year I hope TD is fired.

100% agree

I like how all the NFL coaches on here already know McGary can't play guard without seeing him even play it. Maybe he won't be great anywhere on the line? Maybe he will.