Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuckheadFan

Crazy idea - what if we drafted O-line with 1-16?

45 posts in this topic

Not advocating this, but let's do a thought experiment.   Draft Mekhi Becton (6' 7" 369 lbs!!!) with round 1-#16 as a RT and move McGary to guard. 

What an o-line we would have!!  Frankly, we could spend the rest of our draft capital on D

25 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

This place would riot and it would be justified 

We could actually say at that point that we have 5 first round players on the line starting lol. 

4 of them by our hand.  But the drop off in defensive talent i assume would be pretty dramatic after that pick for Dline and CB yes?

3 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

We could actually say at that point that we have 5 first round players on the line starting lol. 

4 of them by our hand.  But the drop off in defensive talent i assume would be pretty dramatic after that pick for Dline and CB yes?

You must be new here?

ShmevinShmarris and papachaz like this

I dont think this is a crazy idea at all.  I think our OL needs more help than our DL.  I understand that we are lacking both bodies and talent on the DL, but I am far more concerned about out OL than DL.  If our OL does not improve our entire offense is crap.  I have much more confidence in our defense as a whole than I do our offense, OL, or OC.   I am not downplaying the need for DL help, just stating that OL is a bigger concern in my view.

13 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Mcgary is not a guard. This isn't madden

its crazy  you say that because NFL.com pre-draft profile suggested that when he advanced to the NFL his best decision would be to move to guard.

He would benefit from a move inside to guard where his strength and ability to generate movement as a run blocker would outweigh his issues with lateral quickness.

There was even a lot of chatter about moving him to RG and moving Lindstrom to C after we parted ways with Mack because it is easier to draft a RT then it would be to bring in a rookie G.  Honestly I find that humorous, because injury aside, Lindstrom did very well IMO his first year and continued to show growth towards the end.

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You must be new here?

I know this subject was brought up last year if we had started Matthews, Carpenter, Mack, Lindstrom, and McGary, which is why i tried making a joke out of it and seemingly face planted on that one lol.

no biggie lol

papachaz likes this

9 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

I dont think this is a crazy idea at all.  I think our OL needs more help than our DL.  I understand that we are lacking both bodies and talent on the DL, but I am far more concerned about out OL than DL.  If our OL does not improve our entire offense is crap.  I have much more confidence in our defense as a whole than I do our offense, OL, or OC.   I am not downplaying the need for DL help, just stating that OL is a bigger concern in my view.

LOL !!! No, the DL has been the problem for 11 years and has not gotten addressed. Pass rush has not been addressed. We just spent two first rounders on OL , there should be no reason why you do that again. This draft should be defense heavy 

MAD597 likes this

I don’t want to draft a 370 lbs RT, but are we really acting like McGary didn’t just give up a sack a game?  He should improve next year, but he is at his best when blocking while moving forward.  His limitations are shadowing edge rushers in pass pro.  Heroes to have the finesse of a RT yet.  

I’m in the minority but IMO McGary’s ceiling is as a Guard

8 minutes ago, caponine said:

LOL !!! No, the DL has been the problem for 11 years and has not gotten addressed. Pass rush has not been addressed. We just spent two first rounders on OL , there should be no reason why you do that again. This draft should be defense heavy 

I would argue that DL & OL have both been problems for 11+ seasons.  Shanny schemed together what looked like a great OL in '16 with very mediocre talent.  But outside of that year you have the year when Dahl & Clabo were maulers and the rest of the years the OL has been just as much a liability as the DL.   I would be perfectly happy if we took interior OL in round 1 & DL in with both seconds.  Just look at last season, our OL sucked the entire season, while our DL sucked the first half and dominated the second half.  

MAD597 likes this

20 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

its crazy  you say that because NFL.com pre-draft profile suggested that when he advanced to the NFL his best decision would be to move to guard.

He would benefit from a move inside to guard where his strength and ability to generate movement as a run blocker would outweigh his issues with lateral quickness.

There was even a lot of chatter about moving him to RG and moving Lindstrom to C after we parted ways with Mack because it is easier to draft a RT then it would be to bring in a rookie G.  Honestly I find that humorous, because injury aside, Lindstrom did very well IMO his first year and continued to show growth towards the end.

He is too tall to play guard. He will get out leveraged by every dt he goes against.

Ovie_Lover and papachaz like this

25 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You must be new here?

:lol:  or as I ask you (and several other from time to time) has he forgot where he's posting???

ya_boi_j likes this

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

He is too tall to play guard. He will get out leveraged by every dt he goes against.

I agree I was just referencing it because numerous times people were calling for him to move to RG because they felt that it would be easier to replace RT then it would be any of the G positions.

7 minutes ago, papachaz said:

:lol:  or as I ask you (and several other from time to time) has he forgot where he's posting???

Man I guess this got more carried away than I expected.  LOL I am NOT unaware of what I posted as being already stated before.  I was merely trying to be funny because someone mentioned it at the beginning of last year being the same thing.

I have no interest in considering moving any of the players along the line and hope we find a suitable player to solidify LG so OL becomes a strength unlike in prior years past.  

LOL anyways.  I guess I should be more careful when I respond so it comes off as an actual joke rather than seeming I literally didn't hear what I wrote prior to today.

papachaz likes this

10 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Man I guess this got more carried away than I expected.  LOL I am NOT unaware of what I posted as being already stated before.  I was merely trying to be funny because someone mentioned it at the beginning of last year being the same thing.

I have no interest in considering moving any of the players along the line and hope we find a suitable player to solidify LG so OL becomes a strength unlike in prior years past.  

LOL anyways.  I guess I should be more careful when I respond so it comes off as an actual joke rather than seeming I literally didn't hear what I wrote prior to today.

:huh::shrug:

:lol::lol::lol:

federicofalcon2 likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Why do people want to move McGary to OG? When has he played OG? Let's start with that. 

28 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t want to draft a 370 lbs RT, but are we really acting like McGary didn’t just give up a sack a game?  He should improve next year, but he is at his best when blocking while moving forward.  His limitations are shadowing edge rushers in pass pro.  Heroes to have the finesse of a RT yet.  

I’m in the minority but IMO McGary’s ceiling is as a Guard

Because of stuff like this. 

Something something struggles with edge rushers something something. 

Rookies have to come out perfect apparently. Players can't get better.