• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FalconofShadows

Where do you prefer passrush to come from

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Literally what everyone was thinking before clicking the thread

Yep. Came here and was not disappointed.

Still, there can be nuances.

If you limit yourself to a preference it ignores scenarios of an OL having strength vs your strength. I’d rather do the attack their weakness and avoid playing into their hands based on your own weakness.

Somewhere = anywhere...at all when strategically necessary or preferable to overcome teams that neutralize your strength...

And an important point, improve coverage and help your DL look better by having a chance to get there in the first place :ninja:;)

But yea quickest way to a QB is up the gut. Many ways to slice up protection, but that goes out the window without coverage. Not every team has an AD instant pass rush win dude.

Need dudes that aren’t liabilities eating snaps and go from there. If we can get a Beast do it obviously. There is always more to it that one guy; what do you do if he is neutralized? Injured? Team play must be elevated if you want individual results to matter.

3 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

When it comes to pass rush, would you rather have good pass rushers coming from the edge or DTs from the middle.

My personal preference would be a passrush coming from DTs who are pushing that picket back. I feel it's more likley the DEs have a better chance getting a QB going side to side from a rush rather then giving a QB a place to move up potentially 

I like mine to come from the defense .

7 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

^

At this point, I don't give a crap if it comes from a master race of sentient celery from outer space. Just have something that works, somehow.

Be careful, I was told that celestial celery are vulnerable to chop blocks :ninja:

12 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Somewhere

Indeed.  We need both as pocket passers (MR2, Brady, Brees, Cousins) tend to hate interior pressure while edge pressure has a higher likelihood of cutting the field in half as the QB will be forced to move the opposite way and also more likely to throw on the run.  We need way more consistency from both but I like augmenting Grady more than hoping for an elite edge guy.

If course we all choose the easiest answer by replying that the rush must come from all directions.

But to answer your question more specifically, there is no more intimidating rush than one coming directly up the middle.

It’s the most direct path to the QB & causes the most distraction by far.  

It instantly causes the QB to take his eyes off of his reads.

It forces him off of his spot the quickest.

It flushes him into the hands of edge rushers.

It causes more errant throws & picks.

It causes more throw aways.

And it rattles his confidence the most. 

But an inside pass rusher might be the most difficult position to fill for obvious reasons.

285-300+ pound men who are that athletic are tough to find.  

I am fine going inside or outside this year.  At 16 take the best value that presents itself.  

It's not either/or.  You need pressure up the middle, on the edge and on blitzes, AND you need good back end coverage and solid tackling.  If you don't have all of that, then at some point your defense will be exploited.

The defense is automatically at a disadvantage because they don't have the ball and they don't know what play is coming.  If your players can't execute the basics -- and for pass rush, that is pressure up front, timely blitzes and good solid coverage and tackling -- it doesn't matter if you have the 2 best interior rushers in the NFL, they'll never get home.  You can account for one-dimensional anything.  Pass rush is no different.

I like it as follows:

Chuck Smith, Travis Hall, Shane Dronett, Patrick Kerney across the line.

Who made who better? Smith and Kerney really elevated Hall and Dronett in their heyday. I will say that Hall was a handful and one heck of a player, he reminds me of Cominsky ( wish he had 500 snaps this year but beside the point)

We have Grady now, who may be best interior ever for Atlanta, give him a game wrecker partner on inside and watch the DE productivity go up IMO.

5 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I like it as follows:

Who made who better? Smith and Kerney really elevated Hall and Dronett in their heyday. I will say that Hall was a handful and one heck of a player, he reminds me of Cominsky ( wish he had 500 snaps this year but beside the point)

We have Grady now, who may be best interior ever for Atlanta, give him a game wrecker partner on inside and watch the DE productivity go up IMO.

Kinlaw

14 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I like it as follows:

Yep we need help and size on the interior DL side, QB's can just step up in the pocket to avoid our Edge Rushers and Grady can't do everything by himself.