TD’s Draft Trend

FalconsIn2012

Would You Be Good With Swift In RD 1  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Got Swift?

The last few years we have entered the draft loaded on offense and in need of playmakers on defense.  This has led to Dimitroff making a few odd decisions.

The 2018 & 2019 drafts were absolutely loaded on DE & DT prospects.  2019 DL class was considered the best in 20 years.  Seemed great since we’ve had glaring needs at both edge and interior.  So what does TD do?  He ignores need and acquires talent.  While I maintain a draft of Sweat, Cody & Crosby would have been the better option, we still did well.  

In 2018 would it have been more prudent to draft Leonard, Hubbard & best CB available in 3rd?  Probably.  Time will tell.  But TD opted to grab the #1 WR rather than #4 LB.  #3 CB rather than #8 DT

Point is this: TD has been moving towards a BPA model.  Despite glaring needs on the DL and tremendous draft value at that position, in 2019 TD has opted for the #1 rated OG rather than the #4 DT.  #3 OT over #6 DE.

If this trend holds, Swift may very well be the pick for the Falcons.  He has unique COD and quickness.  At 215 lbs he runs at 4.45 40 and loves to truck people.  Honestly he is a blend of Gurley & Chubb.  I would like the pick....

And I’d love the pick if he bucks a trend and moves back 8 spots and picks up a late 2nd or 3rd and still takes Swift.

So draft Swift at #22 and then you have 4 picks in rounds two and three to address the defense.

Koetter needs this:

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’m not being contrary or saying you’re wrong, just curious:  you’d rather have the #4 DE over #1RB & additional 2nd/3rd round pick?

I didn’t say I wanted a DE with the pick, simply defense or bust. There’s plenty of capable running backs that can be had within the first 3-4 rounds. No need to swing for the fences at that position at #16. 

Main thing is most of us complained about the defensive side of the ball a ton more than the run game this past season. No sense in misdirecting that energy now. Granted it rides on free agency. 

These questions are actually better off being held off until after the hot free agency period tbh because we simply have no clue how the team will look when the draft comes right now. 

8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I didn’t say I wanted a DE with the pick, simply defense or bust. There’s plenty of capable running backs that can be had within the first 3-4 rounds. No need to swing for the fences at that position at #16. 

Yea. My favorite scenario is getting Brown, Epensa, or Delpit at 16 and getting Dobbins in round 2. But, if the team gets Swift at 16 while hanging on to the two 2nd’s, I would understand the strategy and wouldn’t be mad

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Main thing is most of us complained about the defensive side of the ball a ton more than the run game this past season. No sense in misdirecting that energy now. Granted it rides on free agency. 

These questions are actually better off being held off until after the hot free agency period tbh because we simply have no clue how the team will look when the draft comes right now. 

Fair enough.

The reason I am more critical of the offense is because talent for talent they far under performed compared to the defense.

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea. My favorite scenario is getting Brown, Epensa, or Delpit at 16 and getting Dobbins in round 2. But, if the team gets Swift at 16 while hanging on to the two 2nd’s, I would understand the strategy and wouldn’t be mad

I mean I wouldn’t be upset with it but they better had hit in free agency or make the best of those 2 second rounders on the defensive side of the ball. Also better hope Dirk is fires after the season cause Swift likely won’t be able to make sugar out of that **** scheme in place this season. 

I like Dobbins and Edwards-Helaire

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

I mean I wouldn’t be upset with it but they better had hit in free agency or make the best of those 2 second rounders on the defensive side of the ball. Also better hope Dirk is fires after the season cause Swift likely won’t be able to make sugar out of that **** scheme in place this season. 

I like Dobbins and Edwards-Helaire

I think he could. Swift is very shifty and is an elite cutter. If the blocking is there, he will make it work. 

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The big thing is I think Koetter needs an elite RB.  And while Dobbins, Helaire, Taylor are all capable of being Pro Bowl RB’s, IMO Swift can be an All Pro 

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

Fair enough.

The reason I am more critical of the offense is because talent for talent they far under performed compared to the defense.

Understood. IMO both sided underperformed until the flame was lit under Quinn’s ***. Once that happened both sides starting executing much better. Do they carry that over into the new season with the changes still in place and full year under Dirk or do they go back to playing unmotivated football. That’s the biggest question mark outside of lack of domination amongst both lines

The big thing is I think Koetter needs an elite RB.  And while Dobbins, Helaire, Taylor are all capable of being Pro Bowl RB’s, IMO Swift can be an All Pro 

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Agreed. We will likely not get a new RB though and draft a corner in round 1. Lol

If it happens neither one of you better say a dam thing when it’s time for him to reset the running back market. Bookmarking this thread now and screenshotting :lol:

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

If it happens neither one of you better say a dam thing when it’s time for him to reset the running back market. Bookmarking this thread now and screenshotting :lol:

I’ll worry about that in 4 years man. If Koetter is apart of this organization, this is how we have a shot

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

lol....I’d never give a RB his second contract.  The odds say his body won’t hold up.  He simply won’t be the same player year 8 as he was year 2.  Very few exceptions

lol....I’d never give a RB his second contract.  The odds say his body won’t hold up.  He simply won’t be the same player year 8 as he was year 2.  Very few exceptions

Oh I agree. I’m interested to see how well Saquon holds up after year 4. As much of a specimen as he is, I fear the worst for him due to how much they use him. I do hope he breaks the bank though. But that’s off topic. Sorry

15 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Agreed. We will likely not get a new RB though and draft a corner in round 1. Lol

See below. Remember, it’s Saturday. :ninja:

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

TD has already tipped his hand by saying he loves the RB value in round 3 or 4 this year and every other year.  

If true, fingers crossed for Dillon

He also said he loved the corners in this draft. 

7 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Oh I agree. I’m interested to see how well Saquon holds up after year 4. As much of a specimen as he is, I fear the worst for him due to how much they use him. I do hope he breaks the bank though. But that’s off topic. Sorry

Yea, both he and McCaffery are absolute work horses. The sad thing, they absolutely deserved to get paid for the punishment they are putting on their bodies.