ryantlanta

Adam Trautman TE Dayton

45 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The relevance is that both are athletic freaks who dominated but went (or likely will go) later than they should have. For Kittle, it was questions about body catching and him seeming more like a blocking TE in usage, as well as competition level...Iowa isn't some powerhouse lol. For Trautman, it's competition level to a greater extent (alleviated some by the Senior Bowl) and...well, that's about it now. He isn't the blocker Kittle was coming out but he might be the most athletic dude this class and he's a good blocker in his own right.

I've dug in more, and I'm way higher on the TEs this year compared to other people. Not the big name guys - Kmet, Moss, Hopkins, etc. They're overrated for sure. But Devin Asiasi, Adam Troutman, Harrison Bryant - these are all guys that I think can be a legitimately dangerous TE1 in the league. It's kinda nutty how often the best TE goes later. Imho the top 5 TEs in the league all went Rd 3 or later (Kittle, Kelce, Waller, Andrews, Hooper). 

Fwiw, I was a stupid huge fan of Kittle coming out, more than most on TATF...I remember debating with draft dudes like @A-TowN.- about how he'd be great in the league. I'm not saying Troutman is on that level...need to watch even more, and the Combine will confirm some of his elite traits for me. But he def isn't just a shmuck

Kittle also had a knock for small hands. Small hands for a t.e. Anyway

Francis York Morgan likes this

10 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

ANY chance we take Harrison Bryant if we don't give in the Hooper's contract?

9 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

Really like Trautman. Big time blocker but really athletic for his size. Does really well versus man coverage and creates some nice separation vs linebackers. If we can’t keep Hooper, he would be a great replacement.

Im sure the Pats wish they had that 2nd because Id bet thats where he would have gone.

9 hours ago, gazoo said:

I believe Saubert's problem is he just isn't very bright.  He unquestionably had the athleticism. He caught twice as many passes and almost 3 times as many TDS than Tony Gonzalez did in college. If you can’t catch the ball it would be impossible to have 190 catches and 21 TDS in college, irrespective of school.

I did hear DQ say this last camp, and Im paraphrasing,  "he has the skills to be a good TE, he just needs to get out of his head".  I think he was overwhelmed at this level mentally. Aundrey Bruce suffered a similar pattern of athleticism but nothing upstairs. 

He flexed out wide most snaps at Drake and just ran go routes which was mostly required athleticism and little thinking .  In the NFL you have to know the passing and running game plays, you need to learn blocking technique and techniques to keep blockers off of you, and and how to react and adjust your route based on defensive alignments.

I think small school is worth a look IF the TE is intelligent.  Although not same position, wee saw how fast small school Foye picked up our defense.

Also see how quickly Graham has take n to the offense coming out of Yale the same year as Foye.

gazoo likes this

Scouting report on Adam:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/adam-trautman/CF7P84dFi8

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Tuls

PROS: Possesses excellent height, length, and frame at the tight end position. An explosive athlete with a good blend of speed and short-area agility at the top of his routes. Basketball background shows up at the catch point — boxes out defenders and leaps off the ground for the ball like a power forward. Has experience and production as a field stretcher. Knows how to stack defenders vertically in his attack over the middle. Came to college as a quarterback, so he is still very young in tight end years — plenty of untapped potential. Used as a chess piece who lines up all over the field — in-line, backfield, slot, and out wide.

CONS: Still learning the nuances of the tight end position. Wins mostly on his athletic gifts at this point in his development. Transition and learning curve may be steeper than other tight end prospects, considering a massive jump in the level of play. Toughness is definitely there, but he’s just nowhere near ready for NFL snaps as an in-line blocker from a technical standpoint.

Updated: 11/22/2019

Francis York Morgan and gazoo like this

6 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

It was an epic TE class though

Going in, yea but really was it?  Lots of hype and not a lot of production for most of those guys.

But proves the point that strength or weakness of draft class is often in the eyes of the beholder and really has no bearing many times on the final outcome.

8 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Also see how quickly Graham has take n to the offense coming out of Yale the same year as Foye.

That’s an excellent point. Graham doesn’t appear to be as athletic as Saubert, but he sure is looking good.

As far as the draft and UDFAs go, the intelligence factor will weigh heavily on my TE analyses moving forward.  

ATLSlobberKnockers and MSalmon like this

If we draft a TE, the learning curve is incredibly steep for a rookie, so even if one of our top picks we will still need to sign a stopover vet who can catch a lot of passes in 2020 if we lose Hooper.  I have no idea what Graham’s upside is.

4 hours ago, athell said:

Going in, yea but really was it?  Lots of hype and not a lot of production for most of those guys.

But proves the point that strength or weakness of draft class is often in the eyes of the beholder and really has no bearing many times on the final outcome.

I mrant as far as prospects go. I thinl there were 4 guys that ran a 4.5 fpr instance. I temember I was high on Bucky Hodges that year and was upset we took Saubert over him. He was a physical freak  but just didnt want to play.

athell likes this

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

That’s an excellent point. Graham doesn’t appear to be as athletic as Saubert, but he sure is looking good.

As far as the draft and UDFAs go, the intelligence factor will weigh heavily on my TE analyses moving forward.  

Brycen Hopkins is my guy right now. He can demolish the seam amd great at.50/50. Just not going to play the H-back role.

gazoo likes this

58 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I mrant as far as prospects go. I thinl there were 4 guys that ran a 4.5 fpr instance. I temember I was high on Bucky Hodges that year and was upset we took Saubert over him. He was a physical freak  but just didnt want to play.

Dude, I was a BIG Bucky guy...what a let down.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, athell said:

lol no one cares who you crown or your arbitrary numbers.  Settle down there feller.

how often do you reminisce about leather helmets from back in your day?

analytics are now part of the game, get used to it

36 minutes ago, Romfal said:

how often do you reminisce about leather helmets from back in your day?

analytics are now part of the game, get used to it

lmao I'm 39...nice try bud!

Analytics?  Lol...using 1 sparq score to determine how good or bad a player is is not analytics.  Not to mention I highly doubt you have any kind of film study into any of these prospects, you just never heard of him therefore he sucks and you wanna do your Romfal act where you get big mad on the internet and flex your e-muscles.

3 hours ago, athell said:

lmao I'm 39...nice try bud!

Analytics?  Lol...using 1 sparq score to determine how good or bad a player is is not analytics.  Not to mention I highly doubt you have any kind of film study into any of these prospects, you just never heard of him therefore he sucks and you wanna do your Romfal act where you get big mad on the internet and flex your e-muscles.

no its not that, I agree he looks good on tape, **** you can say he looks like a man amongst boys on the field, which is normal for his level of competition but he won't be the first or the last small school TE to do so. The reality is there is a very small hit rate for a rather complex position and I think he needs elite athleticism to have a chance. Yes I'm a numbers guy and every rule has an exception but there are patterns for a reason.

We definitely need another TE if Hooper heads to FA.  However, I think we only need a TE for depth.  Jaeden Graham looks really good and I believe he can develop into an amazing TE.  Luke Stocker has also showed a lot of promise.

ya_boi_j likes this

1 hour ago, Falc0n said:

We definitely need another TE if Hooper heads to FA.  However, I think we only need a TE for depth.  Jaeden Graham looks really good and I believe he can develop into an amazing TE.  Luke Stocker has also showed a lot of promise.

Graham yes, Stocker is one I never want to see another ball forced his way. Only if he is wide open. 

On 2/7/2020 at 0:59 PM, athell said:

Funny because was my first thought, but I know @MSalmon is high on him.  He is a little bigger than Saubert, a little slower, better hands, neither can be relied upon in the run game.

Converted QB, first year TE, so he is raw, but he is a pretty fluid athlete and as Salmon will point out, extremely smart.  Wouldn't mind a later round flier for him.  Saubert just couldn't catch, or run block.  If this kid can catch at the next level he will be a much better prospect than Saubert ever was.

You’re nailing what trautman perfectly. I see Hooper with a bit more athleticism. Saubert was crazy athletic and fast, just horrid hands. But the smart part is huge. I think **** go in either second or third round.

i don’t think that he’ll run great, however 

one correction, he’s been full time TE for two years at the collegiate level. So not nearly the project in terms of conversion. He’s been converted

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3911853/adam-trautman

saubert is a frustrating guy. I keep waiting for someone to try him at LB lol

athell likes this

On 2/7/2020 at 2:33 PM, Romfal said:

if he gets a sparq score of 90% I will crown his ***, until then I have reservations on labeling anybody the next athletic freak

You can shove sparq scores up TD’s bicycle riding ***

athell likes this