ryantlanta

Adam Trautman TE Dayton

45 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Eric Saubert comes to mind. Small school and looked good coming out. Is he comparable? 

yeah, I am going to say big pass on small school TE unless you plan to be patient with them for 3 years...see Adam Shaheen with the Bears too, did absolutely jack squat

The Daywalker likes this

8 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Eric Saubert comes to mind. Small school and looked good coming out. Is he comparable? 

Funny because was my first thought, but I know @MSalmon is high on him.  He is a little bigger than Saubert, a little slower, better hands, neither can be relied upon in the run game.

Converted QB, first year TE, so he is raw, but he is a pretty fluid athlete and as Salmon will point out, extremely smart.  Wouldn't mind a later round flier for him.  Saubert just couldn't catch, or run block.  If this kid can catch at the next level he will be a much better prospect than Saubert ever was.

MSalmon likes this

11 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

5 minutes ago, Romfal said:

yeah, I am going to say big pass on small school TE unless you plan to be patient with them for 3 years...see Adam Shaheen with the Bears too, did absolutely jack squat

Looked like the best or 2nd best TE at the Senior Bowl, depending who you ask. Saubert was a worse blocker and didn't have hands as good as Trautman's. But I get the comparison

MSalmon, athell and Cole World like this

High school QB...converted to TE in college and improved each year. Had almost 1000 yards senior year. Tony Pauline thought he wAs the best TE thru all practices and in the game and has an interview with him on latest podcast. Sounds like a bright dude with a bright future. Our TE coach interviewed him at Senior game/practices.

13 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Looked like the best or 2nd best TE at the Senior Bowl, depending who you ask. Saubert was a worse blocker and didn't have hands as good as Trautman's. But I get the comparison

in a ****** TE class that doesn't speak volumes besides to the fact that its a ****** TE class. 

From FantasyPros: Adam Trautman (TE – Dayton)
Coming into the week, scouts knew that Trautman had the chance to skyrocket his draft stock. Trautman played at lower level Dayton and dominated his competition all season. Many believed that he had the athleticism to play at the NFL level, but he had to answer questions about his play strength and blocking ability. Fast forward to the end of the practice week and Trautman answered those questions by showing that he had the necessary strength and technique to handle NFL-caliber talent when blocking in the run game. He consistently was able to cut off, lock up, and even drive edge defenders off the line of scrimmage. Trautman has fully put himself into the conversation of TE1 for this draft after showing that he as the ability to be a complete TE at the next level. Tight end needy teams should have their sights set on him. He looks like a definite top 100 pick at this point.

22 minutes ago, athell said:

George Kittle was the 8th TE taken in his draft class...ijs...

George Kittle is and was an athletic freak that played at a big school, I don't see the relevance of that comparison

ryantlanta likes this

1 hour ago, Romfal said:

George Kittle is and was an athletic freak that played at a big school, I don't see the relevance of that comparison

The relevance is that both are athletic freaks who dominated but went (or likely will go) later than they should have. For Kittle, it was questions about body catching and him seeming more like a blocking TE in usage, as well as competition level...Iowa isn't some powerhouse lol. For Trautman, it's competition level to a greater extent (alleviated some by the Senior Bowl) and...well, that's about it now. He isn't the blocker Kittle was coming out but he might be the most athletic dude this class and he's a good blocker in his own right.

I've dug in more, and I'm way higher on the TEs this year compared to other people. Not the big name guys - Kmet, Moss, Hopkins, etc. They're overrated for sure. But Devin Asiasi, Adam Troutman, Harrison Bryant - these are all guys that I think can be a legitimately dangerous TE1 in the league. It's kinda nutty how often the best TE goes later. Imho the top 5 TEs in the league all went Rd 3 or later (Kittle, Kelce, Waller, Andrews, Hooper). 

Fwiw, I was a stupid huge fan of Kittle coming out, more than most on TATF...I remember debating with draft dudes like @A-TowN.- about how he'd be great in the league. I'm not saying Troutman is on that level...need to watch even more, and the Combine will confirm some of his elite traits for me. But he def isn't just a shmuck

17 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The relevance is that both are athletic freaks who dominated but went later than they should have. For Kittle, it was questions about body catching and him seeming more like a blocking TE in usage, as well as competition level...Iowa isn't some powerhouse lol. For Trautman, it's competition level to a greater extent (alleviated some by the Senior Bowl) and...well, that's about it now. He isn't the blocker Kittle was coming out but he might be the most athletic dude this class and he's a good blocker in his own right.

I've dug in more, and I'm way higher on the TEs this year compared to other people. Not the big name guys - Kmet, Moss, Hopkins, etc. They're overrated for sure. But Devin Asiasi, Adam Troutman, Harrison Bryant - these are all guys that I think can be a legitimately dangerous TE1 in the league. It's kinda nutty how often the best TE goes later. Imho the top 5 TEs in the league all went Rd 3 or later (Kittle, Kelce, Waller, Andrews, Hooper). 

Fwiw, I was a stupid huge fan of Kittle coming out, more than most on TATF...I remember debating with draft dudes like @A-TowN.- about how he'd be great in the league. I'm not saying Troutman is on that level...need to watch even more, and the Combine will confirm some of his elite traits for me. But he def isn't just a shmuck

if he gets a sparq score of 90% I will crown his ***, until then I have reservations on labeling anybody the next athletic freak

1 hour ago, Romfal said:

Of course you don't lol

You are an oddly aggressive internet person.

23 minutes ago, Romfal said:

if he gets a sparq score of 90% I will crown his ***, until then I have reservations on labeling anybody the next athletic freak

lol no one cares who you crown or your arbitrary numbers.  Settle down there feller.

36 minutes ago, Romfal said:

Fair enough. That's part of why I said the Combine matters to prove it. Peep the senior bowl though. He stood out in a big way.

A-TowN.- likes this

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Fair enough. That's part of why I said the Combine matters to prove it. Peep the senior bowl though. He stood out in a big way.

And the staff loves Senior Bowl players. We take at least one every year it seems. I could definitely see this guy as a 3rd-4th round target. I like him better then Cole Kmet. I don’t get it at all what scouts see in that guy.

Edited by Arkridge
ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

10 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

I believe Saubert's problem is he just isn't very bright.  He unquestionably had the athleticism. He caught twice as many passes and almost 3 times as many TDS than Tony Gonzalez did in college. If you can’t catch the ball it would be impossible to have 190 catches and 21 TDS in college, irrespective of school.

I did hear DQ say this last camp, and Im paraphrasing,  "he has the skills to be a good TE, he just needs to get out of his head".  I think he was overwhelmed at this level mentally. Aundrey Bruce suffered a similar pattern of athleticism but nothing upstairs. 

He flexed out wide most snaps at Drake and just ran go routes which was mostly required athleticism and little thinking .  In the NFL you have to know the passing and running game plays, you need to learn blocking technique and techniques to keep blockers off of you, and and how to react and adjust your route based on defensive alignments.

I think small school is worth a look IF the TE is intelligent.  Although not same position, wee saw how fast small school Foye picked up our defense.

GleasonForever! likes this

3 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

Really like Trautman. Big time blocker but really athletic for his size. Does really well versus man coverage and creates some nice separation vs linebackers. If we can’t keep Hooper, he would be a great replacement.

Some fans don’t know how critical a good blocking TE can be who also excels in passing game. George Kittle is phenomenal, but none was better than Gronk.