Javon Kinlaw is a beast!

basscass

49 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Problem with G-Dawgs opinion in my eyes is his benchmark is Khalil Mack so in his eyes if your not him or close your history.

Basically unrealistic expectations of anyone that size coming out.

Which in my eyes is completely wrong.

For me I like different body types rushing the passer.It takes different techniques to block those body types.Also having guys you can move around is a huge bonus for me as we can attack teams in multiple ways.

I can respect valuing versatility and you're absolutely right that a lot of times it's about getting the right matchups, having different tools to attack different parts of an offense. I also wouldn't expect any prospect to come in and be Khalil Mack. Just like I don't expect any DT to be Donald. If we had a better defense, I'd be more inclined to add an X-factor type of player. But I worry that it would be like buying a sports car when we can't pay the electric bill. Our most pressing need to me is upgrading Beasley, which I think AJ does in a variety of way.  I will admit, I like the idea of Chaisson taking Campbell's spot a good bit more than Beasley's. 

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

See, I want Chaisson to replace Campbell. That's the big difference in thinking. Being a capable pass rusher and setting the edge well at DE is just another bonus.

I like Kinlaw a lot, but I seriously doubt we have a shot at him. I like Epenesa as a 3T potentially, just don't know that he'll be great in ATL. And with YGM, I think he's going to need thorough vetting after the Penn St stuff. If they're comfy after, he has talent for sure.

Ok but that's a luxury pick then. I wouldnt mind this only if Epenesa and YGM are taken. 

Just now, Osiruz said:

You can draft those later. Pass rush is a premium position. 

Fair enough. Really does depend who's available. Part of the draw to me is his leadership and football character - we need that desperately. Same reason I'd be willing to trade a ton away for Jamal Adams. But I get your perspective

@Artys Arryn this it I think Chaisson gives us more options than what an Epenesa does.If they bring back Clayborn start Takk and grab a FA DE like Means or alike I think Chaissons thee guy nickel rusher another possible blitz option out of base personnel without losing anything in coverage.

Just think you need a few guys like Chaisson and Simmons types on your defense to mx it up instead of just straight up looks.

5 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

You can draft those later. Pass rush is a premium position. 

Epenesa isn’t curing the pass rush.

Pass Rush is a premium like you say and you better have multiple ways to attack it instead of just rush 4.Thats failed for us I see they used Debo on the blitz more in the 2nd half of the season.This is where drafting a guy like Chaisson or alike is important he’s a potential nickel edge rusher drop in coverage blitz option without losing anything.

This is what the Falcons need a couple of these guys on the defense.

9 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

@Artys Arryn this it I think Chaisson gives us more options than what an Epenesa does.If they bring back Clayborn start Takk and grab a FA DE like Means or alike I think you Chaissons thee guy nickel rusher another possible blitz option out of base personnel without losing anything in coverage.

Just think you need a few guys like Chaisson and Simmons types on your defense to mx it up instead of just straight up looks.

Word. If we go Chaisson at 16, I just really hope we get a guy at 47 who can play DE. I worry that the position dries up before then though. 

Edited by Artys Arryn

13 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

@Artys Arryn this it I think Chaisson gives us more options than what an Epenesa does.If they bring back Clayborn start Takk and grab a FA DE like Means or alike I think you Chaissons thee guy nickel rusher another possible blitz option out of base personnel without losing anything in coverage.

Going into next season, I think we will be looking at Takk and Cominsky as our starting DE's.  If that is true, then Epenesa is a bit redundant.  

I can see the argument for Chaisson as Campbell's replacement.  

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Depends what they do in FA that’ll dictate what we do in the draft.There’s a lot of options there for us on that front.

True. Maybe we can swing someone like Fowler and open us up a little at 16. 

Just now, etherdome said:

Going into next season, I think we will be looking at Takk and Cominsky as our starting DE's.  If that is true, then Epenesa is a bit redundant.  

I can see the argument for Chaisson as Campbell's replacement.  

I think Epenesa would beat out Cominsky pretty handedly and he can still kick inside on passing downs to get all 3 on the line. 

2 hours ago, Artys Arryn said:

True. Maybe we can swing someone like Fowler and open us up a little at 16. 

I think Epenesa would beat out Cominsky pretty handedly and he can still kick inside on passing downs to get all 3 on the line. 

We really don't know that would be true.  Cominsky is an extremely athletic football player with a great attitude.  The only thing he is missing is technique.  He has been coached at the pro level for a season and he may very well be much improved.  

Epenesa is a fine prospect, but he has not played against the level of competition he is about to face.  Some guys are physically dominant at the college level but wilt when they are confronted with a next level of competition.  

I am not saying that Epenesa is that type of guy.  All I am saying is that we have a promising young talent on the roster and he may actually  be the solution at DE for us.  Only our coaching staff knows for sure.   

10 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Epenesa isn’t curing the pass rush.

Pass Rush is a premium like you say and you better have multiple ways to attack it instead of just rush 4.Thats failed for us I see they used Debo on the blitz more in the 2nd half of the season.This is where drafting a guy like Chaisson or alike is important he’s a potential nickel edge rusher drop in coverage blitz option without losing anything.

This is what the Falcons need a couple of these guys on the defense.

I completely disgree, I think Epenesa is a Cam Jordan type player who will be excellent vs both the run and the pass. This is great if you have a scheme like ours that primarily relies on pressure by the front 4 to force the QB to hold the ball longer. He is also going to come in handy on 3rd and shorts where we have pretty much surrendered and were annihilated the last 2 seasons. 

7 hours ago, Osiruz said:

The more I watch Epenesa the more I think we need to take him or YGM if he is there. He brings constant pressure and clogs running lanes, and demands double teams. This will free up Grady and Takk to do their thing. 

More people will come around on Epenesa, especially after he shows out at the combine in a couple of weeks. 

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:00 PM, kiwifalcon said:

For me the biggest thing that stands out for me with Kinlaw is those long arms he can physically move you when he wants to but the big one is Gs can’t get into his chest to move him.

No doubt he’s a beast it wouldn’t surprise me if he went ahead of Derek Brown.

That's not happening. Brown is the number 1 DT in the draft, and he deserves to be.

8 hours ago, Osiruz said:

I completely disgree, I think Epenesa is a Cam Jordan type player who will be excellent vs both the run and the pass. This is great if you have a scheme like ours that primarily relies on pressure by the front 4 to force the QB to hold the ball longer. He is also going to come in handy on 3rd and shorts where we have pretty much surrendered and were annihilated the last 2 seasons. 

That’s the problem with the defensive scheme they weren’t and aren’t getting home enough with that front 4.To me this is an issue and needs addressing that’s why I believe they chose to blitz Debo a lot more and that 2nd half to get home.

Also having different body types to rush the passer requires different techniques to block those soughts of body types.We’ve already got a power edge rusher in Takk it’s another reason why I think we need a different type of rusher opposite it.

Epenesas going to help us in 3rd and short you reckon lol yeah ok why just because he’s big what say they run outside on him.Ive seen a fair bit of film of him struggling to get lateral and once the runs outside him he’s done.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

That’s the problem with the defensive scheme they weren’t and aren’t getting home enough with that front 4.To me this is an issue and needs addressing that’s why I believe they chose to blitz Debo a lot more and that 2nd half to get home.

Also having different body types to rush the passer requires different techniques to block those soughts of body types.We’ve already got a power edge rusher in Takk it’s another reason why I think we need a different type of rusher opposite it.

Epenesas going to help us in 3rd and short you reckon lol yeah ok why just because he’s big what say they run outside on him.Ive seen a fair bit of film of him struggling to get lateral and once the runs outside him he’s done.

We struggled because our pass rushers sukkd. They couldnt free themselves up and they were too small, thus why we would be better off with a guy who is large and uses his hands well rather than armless ostrich rushers. That OLB you like is just another ostrich rusher. And yes bigger means better run defense. You want them to go outside on him because the lbers and safety will clean that up as long as he seals the edge. 

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

We struggled because our pass rushers sukkd. They couldnt free themselves up and they were too small, thus why we would be better off with a guy who is large and uses his hands well rather than armless ostrich rushers. That OLB you like is just another ostrich rusher. And yes bigger means better run defense. You want them to go outside on him because the lbers and safety will clean that up as long as he seals the edge. 

They aren’t to small where is this coming from it’s horse manure.

Grady Jarretts not big for a DT but does he struggle.

Yet youhave Takk who has decent size for an edge struggles because of his lack technique not size.

You guys and this get bigger and we’ll be better stuff are going to be disappointed.

Biggest problem with our edge rushers is technique and having a plan.Once they get stalemated there history because of it.

This is where guys we select have to get better.Size is but one part of a mistaken narrative.

We need a much higher level DT to pair w Jarrett and one legit DE talent.  We have a rotation of at least 4 at each, but having a legit playmaker at each of those is needed.

I don't think we have enough talent on the DL to worry too much about type (though I get it).  We need 2 guys who can get home at DE and DT.

We also need a legit S and CB, but that's another story.