Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

Options For OL: 2020 & Beyond

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

How about you post a single analysts opinion stating that he isn’t a very good run blocker.  Just one over the past three years

Honestly too lazy to waste time looking for one and just because many people arent talking about it doesnt make it true. 

No one thought Nnamdi would struggle in a zone scheme with the Eagles after being primarily man in Oakland.

**** many people ignore Sherman is a zone corner. 

No one talks about Kamara's weaknesses.

Etc. 

Thuney is good and I'd like him but if you wanna ground it out he ain't it. For Koetter's scheme hes probably perfect.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

I'd rathar pay half the price for Glasgow. He's no Thuney but we really just need competency at LG. Then we have a legit option at center. Draft an IOL rnd 3-5. Resign Schweitzer as the primary interior back up.

Definitely wouldn't complain if we signed Thuney though. Really wanted to trade Beasley for Zeitler last year.

Gono from day 1 or is it Atlanta knows he’s a stud but doesn’t want to pay him big $ so holding him down.  I think it’s more like this.  He grades out highest when he plays.  Contract up in a year.  They should have played him this year, watched him ball out and then traded him if not wanting to pay big $ to keep him.  He’s very good and they know it. 

I have believed the limitations on both lines are a result of player development and coaching.  We have to do a better job of getting these guys ready. 

If you doubt that, I will mention a few names; Ben Garland, Mike Person, Levine Toilolo.  They may not have been game changers, but all three were solid during the season and through the playoffs right through their SuperBowl loss.  With with the Falcons, I would say that Toilolo was solid.  Garland was situational.  Person was a liability.  I do not know if they received critical development or if they had a coach who understood their strengths and limitations and put them in situations where they could succeed. 

If Gono and Senat (I know, I am straying off course bringing up the DL, sorry), but if those two are not prepared to play this season, and I were King (I really should be, LoL), I would start firing coaches. 

I know there are busts.  But, these guys performed in college and performed for the San Francisco Falcons.  Why did 2 of the 3 not perform for the Atlanta Falcons?  You guys remember that Garland appeared to be regressing his last season here.  My guess was when Person was cut, he would never be on a roster again.  He has done well since leaving here.

Mr. Blank, if you will agree to one dinner with me, I will buy. The ball is in your court.

Edited by NaGaBoy
FalconsIn2012 and kiwifalcon like this

2 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

I have believed the limitations on both lines are a result of player development and coaching.  We have to do a better job of getting these guys ready. 

If you doubt that, I will mention a few names; Ben Garland, Mike Person, Levine Toilolo.  They may not have been game changers, but all three were solid during the season and through the playoffs right through their SuperBowl loss.  With with the Falcons, I would say that Toilolo was solid.  Garland was situational.  Person was a liability.  I do not know if they received critical development or if they had a coach who understood their strengths and limitations and put them in situations where they could succeed. 

If Gono and Senat (I know, I am straying off course bringing up the DL, sorry), but if those two are not prepared to play this season, and I were King (I really should be, LoL), I would start firing coaches. 

I know there are busts.  But, these guys performed in college and performed for the San Francisco Falcons.  Why did 2 of the 3 not perform for the Atlanta Falcons?  You guys remember that Garland appeared to be regressing his last season here.  My guess was when Person was cut, he would never be on a roster again.  He has done well since leaving here.

Mr. Blank, if you will agree to one dinner with me, I will buy. The ball is in your court.

Garland moved to DT under the Falcons direction...lol

On 2/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, kiwifalcon said:

Mack’s a decision that needs to be made sooner than later.

I think we should probably keep him but his cap hit needs to be lessened.

I don’t think we are adding a LG we got about 100 possibilities on the roster it’s about the group playing better for mine not about adding names.

I disagree. We are DEFINITELY adding a LG this offseason.  We're losing 2 LGs and 1 RG this year because their contract is up and they didn't earn themselves a new contract.  I expect the Falcons to pick up the OL from FA.  Although it seems very unlikely that we'll pick up both Thuney and Karrass, it's a very real possibility.

22 hours ago, Gonobeast said:

Gono from day 1 or is it Atlanta knows he’s a stud but doesn’t want to pay him big $ so holding him down.  I think it’s more like this.  He grades out highest when he plays.  Contract up in a year.  They should have played him this year, watched him ball out and then traded him if not wanting to pay big $ to keep him.  He’s very good and they know it. 

No he's not.  Did you see him play during the preseason at all in 2019??  He was terrible. What exactly made you think that he deserves the "big $"? If Falcons thought he was "very good" they would of started him when the OL got hit with injuries at the beginning-middle of the season.

What about this...what if the best OG prospect in this draft, Tristen Whirfs falls to ~10-12...do you make a trade at have a great guard and T insurance? He was a great guard and right tackle at Iowa. Very strong, very aggressive..has a wrestling background.

using the value chart, to get to 10 you could give 16, NE 2nd for #10 and maybe a 4th in return.

i would love to have the player, think he will de dominant, like Brandon Scherff, but is it worth the trade? 

imagine Matthews, Whirfs, Mack, Lindstrom, McGary...could be very nice with an affordable line (once we can move on from the UFA busts). But is it worth the investment?

9 hours ago, Falc0n said:

No he's not.  Did you see him play during the preseason at all in 2019??  He was terrible. What exactly made you think that he deserves the "big $"? If Falcons thought he was "very good" they would of started him when the OL got hit with injuries at the beginning-middle of the season.

Yes he was the highest graded falcon while playing more snaps than every other falcon.  Best ol on team 

High draft picks 1st rounders are picked to auto start.  Only after a few years of stinking do organizations admit their mistakes.  He wasn’t terrible at all and he looked very good in his regular season playing time as well.  

@NaGaBoy I’ve been banging the table about coaching the last 2 years and it’s clear to see.

Thee 1-7 to 6-2 and fielding one of thee better defenses in the league the 2nd half bares this out and all without any influx of talent.

For me this is where DQ has lost his way identity and vision wise of what and where he wants this team to be.

I heard a McKay interview saying DQ is a leader of men and maybe he is.But last 2 seasons he certainly has left alot of doubt on that front.Wheather he’s over thinking things I don’t know but this year is do or die for him.

The roster has enough talent he just has to have the plan and ability to unleash it.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, Gonobeast said:

Yes he was the highest graded falcon while playing more snaps than every other falcon.  Best ol on team 

Ok you're obviously going with Gono blindly because you like him for some odd reason. Alex Mack and Chris Lindstrom had the highest rating during preseason. I don't remember who was after that and I can't find the stats online so I'm really curious where you're getting this information.  Especially considering he's only played a handful of snaps.

Best OL? You really think he's better than Alex Mack and Jake Matthews who he's a backup for? Of course you do because you're blindly following him. 

Press (P Snaps) Press %
Matthews - 4 (29) 13.7%
Lindstrom - 2 (29) 6.8%
Robinson - 2 (25) 8%
Harlow - 2 (25) 8%
Brown - 2 (29) 6.8%
Sambrailo - 2 (19) 10.5%
Gono - 1 (34) 2.9%
Miller - 1 (13) 7.6%
Schweitzer - 1 (30) 3.3%

Pro Football Focus 

gono started this game 

Edited by Gonobeast

Hall of Fame Game 

Another high grade @ 77.4

highest amongst every offensive player and he started.  

that’s 2 games of 2 different examples 

and here is a 3rd example.   In the lone regular season game he played this year graded out 1st or 2nd on the team.   To say he’s terrible is very inaccurate.  

He’s good. 

both starts 

Edited by Gonobeast

On 2/8/2020 at 2:12 PM, FalconsIn2012 said:

Garland moved to DT under the Falcons direction...lol

I was thinking about this today,

Ben Garland had a great year in San Fran and really showed some potential when they had injuries.

What is the likelihood we could bring him back to play left guard and potentially replace Mack down the line?

6 hours ago, Bridgeburner said:

I was thinking about this today,

Ben Garland had a great year in San Fran and really showed some potential when they had injuries.

What is the likelihood we could bring him back to play left guard and potentially replace Mack down the line?

Mack is 33 years old, Garland is 31 and will be 32 in 2 months. how far down the line are you talking?

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 5:27 AM, Gonobeast said:

It doesn't work like that.  What you are purporting is preposterous.  If he was the guy, he'd be playing. These coaches need to win, and they aren't going to keep someone on the bench because of a potential contract.  #ComeOn

On 2/9/2020 at 8:43 PM, Gonobeast said:

Hall of Fame Game 

Another high grade @ 77.4

highest amongst every offensive player and he started.  

that’s 2 games of 2 different examples 

and here is a 3rd example.   In the lone regular season game he played this year graded out 1st or 2nd on the team.   To say he’s terrible is very inaccurate.  

He’s good. 

both starts 

I have no idea where your getting your source but I'll provide one since you want to make stuff up. Gono played a total of 5 games this season and started none of them. So these stats you're making up out of thin air is obviously bogus.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattgono/2561203/gamelogs