Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

Options For OL: 2020 & Beyond

43 posts in this topic

There is a unique opportunity this offseason for the Falcons.  NE is likely to let LG Thuney & Center Karrass hit FA.  Thuney is an obvious stud.  Likely costs 12 mill APY.  We could afford him with a few cuts.

If we could get both Thuney & Karrass for 16 mill APY would you guys do it?  Karrass filled in well for Andrews this year.  In 1100 snaps had 3 penalties and allowed 2 sacks.  Can play all three spots on the interior.  He could replace Mack in 2021.

So should we dip into NE’s pool and finally set our OL for years to come?

Scar on Karrass: “Ted’s always done what we expect him to do,” Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia said in September. “He knows the system. He’s been raised in the system. I think he always prepares himself to play. We could not be any more fortunate than to have a guy like that who can play all three of those positions and the wheels don’t come off the offense. Ted’s another guy that – just like a lot of guys we’ve had around here, he’s a good worker. He’s a tough guy. He’s got character.

Belichick on Karrass:  “Ted’s been a solid guy for us since he’s been here, one of the most consistent players probably on our team,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said during his press conference Wednesday. “Comes to work with the same great attitude every day, works hard, whatever you ask him to do – weight room, classroom, walkthroughs, practice, scout team. He always works hard. He’s always ready to go. He always gives his best.”

Mack’s a decision that needs to be made sooner than later.

I think we should probably keep him but his cap hit needs to be lessened.

I don’t think we are adding a LG we got about 100 possibilities on the roster it’s about the group playing better for mine not about adding names.

FalconsIn2012 and Schwarzwald like this

17 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Mack’s a decision that needs to be made sooner than later.

I think we should probably keep him but his cap hit needs to be lessened.

I don’t think we are adding a LG we got about 100 possibility on the roster it’s about the group playing better for mine not about adding names.

I tend to agree.  Like it or not, the OL already has 52 mill allocated to it next year.  Dumping another 12-14 mill this offseason would be a tough pill to swallow.

But this would be nasty:

Matthews-Thuney-Mack-Lindstrom-McGary

Thuney has allowed one sack and had one penalty in his last 2200 snaps.  For comparison, Matthews has allowed 10 sacks and committed 10 penalties

PokerSteve likes this

28 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I tend to agree.  Like it or not, the OL already has 52 mill allocated to it next year.  Dumping another 12-14 mill this offseason would be a tough pill to swallow.

But this would be nasty:

Thuney has allowed one sack and had one penalty in his last 2200 snaps.  For comparison, Matthews has allowed 10 sacks and committed 10 penalties

that's not impressive at all considering he plays for the Patriots. them guys get away with murder. now if he did that on the Chargers or the Dolphins (for example) I'd be impressed

falconsd56 likes this

49 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

But this would be nasty:

I’m all for adding someone like Thuney but it has to be addition by subtraction.

Its why the Mack decision is an important one if you lessen the cap hit but add a a year or 2 then thee above is off the table.I don’t think we do it.

Just gotta be more consistent and hope the injury bug doesn’t hit again.I’m interested if they see Schweitzer is Mack’s eventual replacement.Hes the guy that needs to step up at that C spot he’s done the hard yards both G spots and C in spot situations pre season and what not.I wouldn’t look to spend myself.

raysnill1 likes this

I like the idea on the Patriots guy. I definitely want offensive linemen with NFL experience. No more growing pains with rookies, Matt Ryan is getting too old for that. 

They should ask Matt Ryan and Dirk Koetter would you rather have Hooper or a stud on the offensive line? 

vitaman and PokerSteve like this

4 hours ago, quotemokc said:

We are not in a position to throw more money at the OL.

Matthews, Mack, Lindstrom and McGary are our starting 4.

All we need is some sort of competency out of one of Gono, Brown and Carpenter at LG.

Pretty much this BUT Mack and C of the future may well take a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year; even if they don’t win the LG spot but that’s 2 birds with 1 stone.

I think we have to make more defensive moves in FA regardless unless we start cutting starters on offense and even then we likely don’t add more than a vet or two on offense...or retain a player such as our FB etc.

It’d be surprising if we made a big OL move in FA but anything is possible. We’re having a rough time projecting Hoop at $10M as it is as fans...but that said let’s go with various CoAs then compare it to what we actually do. :tiphat:

FalconsIn2012 likes this

5 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Pretty sad that our 52 million dollar OL didn’t have a single player in the top 25.  Meanwhile the Eagles & Saints have 4 of their starting 5 in the top 25

I believe our system shake up hurt everyone’s efficiency this year. I mean look at how lopsided our games were by halftime. If the team starts hot in first half of play next season we can finally move on to if we are up to task with in game adjustments.

Year 2 right? :ninja:

FalconsIn2012 likes this

While LG is still unsettled, I don't see us adding another vet to compete to start.  More likely we cut Carpenter, Sambraillo and possibly re-sign Schweitzer to compete with Gono/Brown.  I'm warming up to re-signing Schweitzer to be Mack's eventual replacement.  He has gotten better every year.

Edited by autigerfan
Spelling

14 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Thuney can't run block to save his life so no.

I don’t know where you get this info from but it’s not accurate.  In 2018 Thuney graded out as the 2nd best run blocking OG in the NFL.  The last two years he has been top 5 in both run & pass blocking.  Dude stone walled Donald in the SB

“Thuney turned in an equally strong 2018 campaign. He was ranked the fifth-best pass blocking guard and was second in run blocking.   The Patriots running game carried their offense in 2018 when Tom Brady struggled and it's likely they'll lean on Thuney and Mason again with Sony Michel leading the charge in the backfield. “

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Thuney would be great but if you need a top of the line LG to make the four 1st round picks on OL you have functional, you should just be fired. 

Karras is most likely a typical scrub New England can make look good but would be terrible on any other team. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t know where you get this info from but it’s not accurate.  In 2018 Thuney graded out as the 2nd best run blocking OG in the NFL.  The last two years he has been top 5 in both run & pass blocking.  Dude stone walled Donald in the SB

“Thuney turned in an equally strong 2018 campaign. He was ranked the fifth-best pass blocking guard and was second in run blocking.   The Patriots running game carried their offense in 2018 when Tom Brady struggled and it's likely they'll lean on Thuney and Mason again with Sony Michel leading the charge in the backfield. “

Meh. They're run game was trash last year and he was a reason for it. 

54 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Cleveland Browns run blocking was trash for years. Does that mean Joe Thomas is trash?

You can watch Thuney get beat go back and watch the games dude. Thuney isnt close to Thomas. 

Let me know when you actually have watched the games.

I just don't see us throwing more money at the OL in FA. I think we'll see some of our spending cash in FA focused on an edge rusher. Carpenter and Ty are probably gone leaving Brown and Gono on the roster. I could see Wes being a cheap one or two year resigning to provide depth at G and C. 

Reading about Blanks comments, he thinks we'll be drafting a LG high-ish to at least compete with Brown and Gono.  

Concerning Mack, he played good in the second half of the season and his leadership is invaluable. To lessen his cap, look for an extension to soften the blow on this year's cap. 

At least, this is what I think we should do.

2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

You can watch Thuney get beat go back and watch the games dude. Thuney isnt close to Thomas. 

Let me know when you actually have watched the games.

Thuney isn’t struggle one bit.   The Patriots OL struggled due to the following:

“Dave Andrews was lost (clots in his lungs) before the season started. Left tackle Isaiah Wynn went down in Week 2 (turf toe) before returning Week 12. Ted Karras, the backup for Andrews, missed time with a knee injury. Right tackle Marcus Cannon and right guard Shaq Mason have both struggled at times, likely playing through injury. 

Both fullbacks, James Develin and Jakob Johnson, were lost for the season. And Rob Gronkowski, one of the best blocking tight ends in the game, retired.

24 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Thuney isn’t struggle one bit.   The Patriots OL struggled due to the following:

“Dave Andrews was lost (clots in his lungs) before the season started. Left tackle Isaiah Wynn went down in Week 2 (turf toe) before returning Week 12. Ted Karras, the backup for Andrews, missed time with a knee injury. Right tackle Marcus Cannon and right guard Shaq Mason have both struggled at times, likely playing through injury. 

Both fullbacks, James Develin and Jakob Johnson, were lost for the season. And Rob Gronkowski, one of the best blocking tight ends in the game, retired.

I'm sure you watched every Patriots game and are forming these opinions on your own instead of just piggy backing other guys. 

Dude watch the games. Form your own opinion for once. Loads of posters here do it. Stop relying on other people for once.

28 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I'm sure you watched every Patriots game and are forming these opinions on your own instead of just piggy backing other guys. 

Dude watch the games. Form your own opinion for once. Loads of posters here do it. Stop relying on other people for once.

Bro, you know the Pats are my #2 team.  I went to law school in Boston and lived there for 12 years, three of which they won their first three titles. I watch plenty patriots games

13 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Bro, you know the Pats are my #2 team.  I went to law school in Boston and lived there for 12 years, three of which they won their first three titles. I watch plenty patriots games

I'm sure you do, that's why you rely on posting other people's opinions instead of your own right?

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I'm sure you do, that's why you rely on posting other people's opinions instead of your own right?

How about you post a single analysts opinion stating that he isn’t a very good run blocker.  Just one over the past three years

4 hours ago, The Don™ said:

I just don't see us throwing more money at the OL in FA. I think we'll see some of our spending cash in FA focused on an edge rusher. Carpenter and Ty are probably gone leaving Brown and Gono on the roster. I could see Wes being a cheap one or two year resigning to provide depth at G and C. 

Reading about Blanks comments, he thinks we'll be drafting a LG high-ish to at least compete with Brown and Gono.  

Concerning Mack, he played good in the second half of the season and his leadership is invaluable. To lessen his cap, look for an extension to soften the blow on this year's cap. 

At least, this is what I think we should do.

I love Alex Mack! I hope he stays another 2-3 years. 4 if we're extremely lucky!