Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ya_boi_j

TD’s worst draft

Recommended Posts

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 164th pick - Jonathan Massaqoui - DE - Troy

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round. 249th pick - Travian Robertson - DT - South Carolina

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

Came here to post this.  Dimitroff has never crapped the nest worse than 2012.  Not one of those guys could play.  Not one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 164th pick - Jonathan Massaqoui - DE - Troy

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round. 249th pick - Travian Robertson - DT - South Carolina

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

I think everyone here at the time except a few had high hoped for Mass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Came here to post this.  Dimitroff has never crapped the nest worse than 2012.  Not one of those guys could play.  Not one.

Ewing had moments but just could not stay healthy.....he had some blocks where the defenders head snapped back...dude could block.....but hard to do it sitting on a table.

Konz was good as a rookie when he had vets surrounding him when he was a guard....when he had to be the guy at center it all fell apart.He was showing some more promise in 14 under Tice but then like all of our linemen, He got hurt.

And Mass showed promise as well but apparently had a major attitude issue.

 

So I would not say none of them could play...I think in different circumstances some of the players would have been better but they clearly did not work out for us.

For what it is worth though the 2012 class was terrible for most teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Ewing had moments but just could not stay healthy.....he had some blocks where the defenders head snapped back...dude could block.....but hard to do it sitting on a table.

Konz was good as a rookie when he had vets surrounding him when he was a guard....when he had to be the guy at center it all fell apart.He was showing some more promise in 14 under Tice but then like all of our linemen, He got hurt.

And Mass showed promise as well but apparently had a major attitude issue.

 

So I would not say none of them could play...I think in different circumstances some of the players would have been better but they clearly did not work out for us.

For what it is worth though the 2012 class was terrible for most teams.

I grant that sometimes good players wash out of the league due to circumstance.  But the fact that not one of them really did anything anywhere else leads me to believe they just weren't the guys.

It's not fair in a sense because we only had 4 picks. But TD is the reason we only had 4 picks, and his philosophy and its fruits are the reason I think stockpiling picks is much more important than trading up for 1 guy, which he does literally all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 starters in a draft is not bad though.  You could do this same exercise for all NFL GM's and probably net nearly identical results.  For the BB/Pats love around here, not like he has been killing draft after draft...ijs...

I know you know this j, I'm just saying because the Dimi trolls are coming :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I grant that sometimes good players wash out of the league due to circumstance.  But the fact that not one of them really did anything anywhere else leads me to believe they just weren't the guys.

It's not fair in a sense because we only had 4 picks. But TD is the reason we only had 4 picks, and his philosophy and its fruits are the reason I think stockpiling picks is much more important than trading up for 1 guy, which he does literally all the time.

We had 6 picks :)

By circumstance I mean health.

Holmes, Konz, and Ewing all were waives injured and their careers were essentially over because they could not stay healthy.

All showed some promise but at the end of the day they dis not make it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, athell said:

3 starters in a draft is not bad though.  You could do this same exercise for all NFL GM's and probably net nearly identical results.  For the BB/Pats love around here, not like he has been killing draft after draft...ijs...

I know you know this j, I'm just saying because the Dimi trolls are coming :)

Exactly.

Honestly if you can find 1 player out of a 7 man draft then you are doing well.

For all of the experience, metrics, analytics and every thing that goes into the draft process the success rate of finding a quality nfl player is very low.

 

Even BB has had drafts where within 2 or 3 years the entire draft class is cut......and he selected Jordan Richards in the 2nd round.

That is why people who claim that they can do well with just YouTube and draft websites are incredibly stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Dam does he have one worse than this. 

 

 

Yeah, this was really **** awful....

 

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 164th pick - Jonathan Massaqoui - DE - Troy

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round. 249th pick - Travian Robertson - DT - South Carolina

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

 

 

........but this was a ******* tragedy lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, this was really **** awful....

 

 

 

........but this was a ******* tragedy lol

yeah that 2012 was brutal looking back at it. Mass was my favorite in that group but he just never could catch on. When he went to Tennessee I was hoping a change of scenery would benefit him but that went no where. Now he's in the XFL with the DC Defenders so I'm definitely rooting for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ya_boi_j said:

yeah that 2012 was brutal looking back at it. Mass was my favorite in that group but he just never could catch on. When he went to Tennessee I was hoping a change of scenery would benefit him but that went no where. Now he's in the XFL with the DC Defenders so I'm definitely rooting for him

 

 

Yeah, I was really hoping that Mass would be the one to break the home grown pass rushing drought for the Falcons at the time.

 

We saw glimpses in preseason from him. Sadly for some reason he just didn't work out..

 

Didn't know he was in the XFL. Hope he becomes a notable player for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

 

Yeah, I was really hoping that Mass would be the one to break the home grown pass rushing drought for the Falcons at the time.

 

We saw glimpses in preseason from him. Sadly for some reason he just didn't work out..

 

Didn't know he was in the XFL. Hope he becomes a notable player for them.

 

Man there's a lot of former college sensations in the XFL this year. It should be fun if those players still have at least a little bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2009 & 2012, and 2011 & 2013 were saved only by the 1st Round Pick. That is why Blank brought in help for TD in 2014, and told him to stay in the office, while others did the scouting and talent evaluations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

2009 & 2012, and 2011 & 2013 were saved only by the 1st Round Pick. That is why Blank brought in help for TD in 2014, and told him to stay in the office, while others did the scouting and talent evaluations. 

09 netted us Willy Mo, Chris Owens and Vance Walker, 2011 netted us Julio, Quizz and Bosher.

And 2013 netted us Tru, Alford, Toilolo, and Ish.

All of those guys contributed to multiple playoff appearances including nfc championship game in 2012 and for the guys in 13 contributed to a superbowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 164th pick - Jonathan Massaqoui - DE - Troy

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round. 249th pick - Travian Robertson - DT - South Carolina

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

 

I think even some of Dan Reeves heavy TE drafts were better than that.  That right there is ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 164th pick - Jonathan Massaqoui - DE - Troy

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round. 249th pick - Travian Robertson - DT - South Carolina

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

Thread over. God that draft sucked so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I think everyone here at the time except a few had high hoped for Mass

Never held any hope for Mas, or Mallaciah Goodman. Both looked plain old awful before we drafted them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...