ya_boi_j

TD’s worst draft

42 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

3 starters, 2 with pro bowl experiences is bad? 

For perfectionists on here. Yes it seems.

We have been more competitive than many other teams in the NFL since 2008 when MS and TD started picking players together.

Now its DQ and TD.

Hopefully they keep getting better.

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Dam does he have one worse than this. 

Marquis Spruill got hurt. Too bad. He was a Deion Jones before Deion Jones. 

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

09 netted us Willy Mo, Chris Owens and Vance Walker, 2011 netted us Julio, Quizz and Bosher.

And 2013 netted us Tru, Alford, Toilolo, and Ish.

All of those guys contributed to multiple playoff appearances including nfc championship game in 2012 and for the guys in 13 contributed to a superbowl.

Notice I said, "2011 & 2013 were saved only by the 1st Round Pick." That leaves: Quizz, Bosher, Alford, Toilolo, and Ish. Besides the 1st round pick in 2009, TD landed Owens and Walker. Did we forget anyone from 2012 OK..........? So what exactly is your point?

Did any of these players strike fear into the hearts of their opponents? TD was quickly becoming one of the worst talent evaluators in the NFL. His rear-end was only saved when Blank demanded he have help or step down. That is when Pioli stepped-in, and immediately the next draft improved in 2014, and from that time until our last draft.

Regarding 2014, IMO definitely isn’t a terrible draft. To get an all pro, pro bowler and 3 starters that earned a 2nd contract is a good draft by NFL standards. 

ukfalc likes this

11 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 164th pick - Jonathan Massaqoui - DE - Troy

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round. 249th pick - Travian Robertson - DT - South Carolina

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

That is a terrible draft.  

12 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Came here to post this.  Dimitroff has never crapped the nest worse than 2012.  Not one of those guys could play.  Not one.

didn't Ewing get hurt before he could prove he could or not? and Konz was billed as the best center in the class.

NOT taking up for TD for that draft at all, because like you I was coming to see if anyone posted that mess

2013 draft was arguably worst in NFL history, but we got Tru, Alford, Toilolo and Ish out of it.

» Complete draft class 
» Pro Football Hall of Famers: None 
» On the road to Canton: None 
» Other notable stars: Sheldon RichardsonEric ReidKyle LongLe'Veon BellEddie Lacy 
» Number of players who made at least one Pro Bowl: 7 
» First-rounders who made at least one Pro Bowl: 5

The 2013 draft is on the fast track toward becoming recognized as one of the worst in NFL history. The only reason it is not in the top spot here is because it happened just two years ago. The 1992 draft listed above produced no talent worthy of Canton; there is still time for the 2013 draft to redeem itself. The small pocket of talent that came out of the 2013 draft can still rise to excellence. 

The top two selections in the 2013 draft -- Eric Fisher to the Kansas City Chiefs and Luke Joeckelto the Jacksonville Jaguars -- have yet to establish themselves as reliable NFL starting offensive tackles. The third overall selection, Dion Jordan (picked by the Miami Dolphins), has been suspended for the 2015 season for another violation of the league's substance-abuse policy.

36 minutes ago, papachaz said:

didn't Ewing get hurt before he could prove he could or not? and Konz was billed as the best center in the class.

NOT taking up for TD for that draft at all, because like you I was coming to see if anyone posted that mess

Yes, Ewing was looking Bob Christian-esque but suffered a career ending knee injury in preseason.  He was wowing everyone in camp.

papachaz likes this

15 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, 2012.

We went into the 2012 draft without a 1st or 4th rounder.

Second Round. 55th pick - Peter Konz - OL - Wisconsin. 

Third Round. 91st pick - Lamar Holmes - T - Southern Mississippi. 

Fifth Round. 157th pick - Bradie Ewing - FB - Wisconsin. ... 

Sixth Round. 164th pick - Jonathan Massaqoui - DE - Troy

Sixth Round. 192nd pick - Charles Mitchell - SS - Mississippi State. ... 

Seventh Round. 249th pick - Travian Robertson - DT - South Carolina

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/amp/2013/4/22/4251802/looking-back-the-falcons-2012-draft-class

I remember the word on Lamar Holmes was that he was "raw."  I think he was projected as a 7th round pick.  Real head scratcher.  Yeah, he was "raw" as ****.

I've always subscribed to the thought process that if you end up with 2 starters from a given draft class then you're batting 0.500. Don't ask me where I heard it as my memory fails me, but to provide some context between 2005 to 2014, 2,465 (non-kickers) were drafted and only 629 of them went on to become starters for at least half their career - that's approx 25%.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

ukfalc likes this