Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vel

How the Chiefs defense went from TRASH to amazing almost overnight and How the Falcons did the same

I know I know. It's a video about the Chiefs defense. But if you take the time to watch/listen, a LOT of what Brett talks about in this video applies to the Falcons defense. 

The Chiefs defense was absolutely terrible the first 10 games of the year. Particularly their run defense. Here are the stats:

Total Rush YPG: 148.1 
Total yards per carry: 5.1
Inside rush yards per game: 103.9 (5.6 YPC)
Outside rush yards per game: 44.2 (4.8 YPC)

To put it plainly, they were getting straight ran over, through, around, you name it. 150 yards per game on the ground alone is embarrassing. Spags was trying to figure it out, given this was his first year as DC in KC. He didn't know the best scheme to maximize his players. He was running a lot of 4-3 Over fronts and putting guys in very difficult positions to execute. When they didn't, which inevitably is going to happen, big plays were leaking everywhere. Then, he made some scheme changes to help his guys out and the run defense improved to:

Total Rush YPG: 95.0 
Total yards per carry: 4.4
Inside rush yards per game: 55.0 (3.9 YPC)
Outside rush yards per game: 40.0 (5.7 YPC)

The only place they didn't improve was the YPC on outside runs. Other than that, they legit shut the run down. Spags made the adjustments and put his guys in great positions to succeed. It's what turned that unit around. But for ten weeks, it was UGLY. BAD. No different than the Falcons. 

The Falcons defense was allowing 31.3 points per game, but dropped that to 18.6 points per game after the bye. That's MASSIVE. They were allowing a 53% conversion rate on third downs before the bye, dropping to 25.8% after the bye. Again, drastic. They allowed 68.7% red zone conversions before the bye, dropping to 42.8% after the bye. They caused 16 turnovers after the bye, after only having 4 turnovers for the first eight games. 

All of this is to say, maybe Morris has a better feel for schemes that work in the NFL today. Maybe he's got a more critical eye of where guys win on the field and who to play. Yes, some will say "Well it helps to play [insert bad team]" as if the Falcons defense was some good defense before then. Discounting their performance because of who they played ignores how terribly they played before then. They couldn't even hit Watson when he was behind the worst OL in the league. They couldn't get Mariota to make a mistake, when he eventually got benched midseason. They played some bad units the first half of the year and couldn't do anything to capitalize on it. The second half of the year, they played good football. They also lost Trufant in the process, which should have made things harder but it actually seemed to make things easier for the secondary. Sheffield blossomed. Oliver showed he's a capable NFL corner. Even Blidi Wreh showed he can be a good reserve CB. Kazee started getting picks. Even Rico got a couple. Things changed. For the better. 

My hope is Raheem, since he didn't pick these guys, can look at the second half, see who responded positively to the changes he was implementing and build from there. Again, it most likely won't be a top ten unit. But if they can at least be close to 16th, I'll take that improvement. 

Here's Brett's break down of the Falcons defense early in the year for reference. It's bad, like we all know, but you can see some clear examples of "WTF is DQ trying to do?!"

1 hour ago, JetJones11 said:

Didn’t watch ... but i can tell you now the difference is the Chiefs swung big on a young QB and it worked out perfectly they will win multiple Superbowls 

End of thread...:lol:

1 hour ago, JetJones11 said:

Didn’t watch ... but i can tell you now the difference is the Chiefs swung big on a young QB and it worked out perfectly they will win multiple Superbowls 

Helps to also have a good coach. I remember bringing his name up on this board when the Eagles fired him and posters here shut that up quick saying that Mike smith was better. Coaching matters above all

Good video.  He was saying the niners werent going to be able to run on them but they did.

The fact we pressed more changed a lot. Not forgetting morris disguised a lot more than quinn does. You have to switch it up. 

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Good video.  He was saying the niners werent going to be able to run on them but they did.

The fact we pressed more changed a lot. Not forgetting morris disguised a lot more than quinn does. You have to switch it up. 

Exactly. Morris made QBs hold the ball and hesitate and actually have to read the coverage. When you just line up and run Cover 3, a QB doesn't have to do anything but wait for his windows. It was remedial. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

Exactly. Morris made QBs hold the ball and hesitate and actually have to read the coverage. When you just line up and run Cover 3, a QB doesn't have to do anything but wait for his windows. It was remedial. 

This.  The first half of the season literally looked like they were playing a scrimmage game on defense...nothing but those soft zones and no blitzing.

9 minutes ago, skullkrusher07 said:

This.  The first half of the season literally looked like they were playing a scrimmage game on defense...nothing but those soft zones and no blitzing.

it was not the scheme  though that was the point of the video. It was the coaching communication and technique. We even pointed this out early in the year that our defenders were covering grass for a majority of the snaps. 

3 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

yep they got the guy, there defense could have sucked the whole year kc was gonna score when they wanted

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

End of thread...:lol:

I'm sorry, since when does Patrick Mahomes play defense? I mean, for all the credit you guys are showering on him, if the Chiefs defense was as bad as they were the first 10 games of the season, that game is a blowout in favor of the Niners.

This topic is about defense. Like, stop slobbering the guy's nuts for a moment and actually try to appreciate what the Chiefs defense did en route to winning the Super Bowl.

Chief didn’t win the SB due to QB plays.  They won because they had a good team and their D kept them in the game.  Put Maholmes performance onto the Falcons team and they would lose by double digits instead of won the SB.  Ryan played almost perfect and Falcons still lost the SB so no chance they would have won with Maholmes plays in the SB.

24 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

yep they got the guy, there defense could have sucked the whole year kc was gonna score when they wanted

The defense in collaboration with their offense is the reason why the Chiefs are SB champs.

People like to talk about Mahomes and that fast scoring offense but forget to mention that defense.

Frank Clark had to be the biggest addition of any team last offseason. Clark had 8 sacks during the regular season and had 5 during their postseason run. He's had at least a sack in of each of the Chiefs postseason games(including SB) in very crucial situations.

Chiefs won big getting defensive leaders Clark and Mathieu last offseason.

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The defense in collaboration with their offense is the reason why the Chiefs are SB champs.

People like to talk about Mahomes and that fast scoring offense but forget to mention that defense.

Frank Clark had to be the biggest addition of any team last offseason. Clark had 8 sacks during the regular season and had 5 during their postseason run. He's had at least a sack in of each of the Chiefs postseason games(including SB) in very crucial situations.

Heck of a redemption story for Mathieu. Really turned himself around.

Happy for Shady McCoy for finally getting a ring.

9 minutes ago, No.11 said:

Heck of a redemption story for Mathieu. Really turned himself around.

Happy for Shady McCoy for finally getting a ring.

Yep. From what I know about Mathieu, he is a good dude who had the wrong people around him early on. Proud of him doing something that many athletes and celebrities fail to do until it's too late (see Antonio Brown).

Happy for Shady McCoy, Andy Reid, and the Chiefs fanbase. Their fanbase has dealt with much high profile heartbreak over those last 50 years, especially during the Marty Schottenheimer years. They are way more humble than most NFL franchise fanbases that have won a SB.

28 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Chiefs won because of an offense that could score at any giving moment, 24-0 10-0 20-10 the offense is amazing, there is a reason no body mentions spags or that defense but carry on

5 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Yep. From what I know about Mathieu, he is a good dude who had the wrong people around him early on. Proud of him doing something that many athletes and celebrities fail to do until it's too late (see Antonio Brown).

Happy for Shady McCoy, Andy Reid, and the Chiefs fanbase. Their fanbase has dealt with much high profile heartbreak over those last 50 years, especially during the Marty Schottenheimer years. They are way more humble than most NFL franchise fanbases that have won a SB.

more humble? I live in KCMO and this has to be the most arrogant fan base I have ever been around. I go to many UGA games and deal with fla fans usc fans clemson fans, the chiefs and royals fans are the worst sorry to break it to you

7 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

Chiefs won because of an offense that could score at any giving moment, 24-0 10-0 20-10 the offense is amazing, there is a reason no body mentions spags or that defense but carry on

If that Chiefs defense don't make adjustments and stop those opposing offenses from scoring, then how do that Chiefs offense make those comebacks?

The Chiefs defense has been vastly underrated. They may give up points early on, but they eventually make adjustments and hamper down to help aid their comebacks.

The Chiefs defense even picked Jimmy G off twice to give Mahomes and that offense back the ball and pretty much sealed the game on that 2nd pick.

3 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

more humble? I live in KCMO and this has to be the most arrogant fan base I have ever been around. I go to many UGA games and deal with fla fans usc fans clemson fans, the chiefs and royals fans are the worst sorry to break it to you

I've never gotten that from them.

I guess our experiences are different.

15 hours ago, freefall said:

Chief didn’t win the SB due to QB plays.  They won because they had a good team and their D kept them in the game.  Put Maholmes performance onto the Falcons team and they would lose by double digits instead of won the SB.  Ryan played almost perfect and Falcons still lost the SB so no chance they would have won with Maholmes plays in the SB.

Are you serious ? Mahomes played his worst game 3 quarters in then flipped the switch and led 3 straight scoring drives in under 8 minutes including converting a huge 3rd and 15 after the 2nd and 15 was called back ... I’m not trying to make this into a bash Matt Ryan thing but we all know he can’t do what Mahomes just did Mahomes is already more clutch than MR2 has ever been sorry 

16 hours ago, red falcon said:

The niners had to use gadget plays to run successfully on KC. Their leading rusher was a wide receiver until the final moments of the game. Between the tackles there wasn't a lot of success to be found really. 

It was shocking how little credit the pundits were giving KCs defense leading up to that game. Anyone who has been watching that team could tell you that their defense was a serious force to be reckoned with by years end.

15 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The defense definitely helped but the 49ers have a better defense than the Chiefs but their QB doesn’t even compare that was the difference in the game the QB play in clutch time ... man i hope I’m wrong but right now this team feels old with Matt and DQ rumors are the Panthers are looking at Lawrence and Fields next year with their new young coaches and all in owner honestly if we don’t switch it up i see us being a Chargers with Philip Rivers kind of team good but never good enough ... again i hope I’m wrong