What if Austin Hooper is just another Jacob Tamme level player?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We may not keep Hoop because of our cap situation, but gimme a break, he is legit. He can do it all. Dude is an all around very very good TE. Dude is way better than Tamme and he hasn't even shown all

Everyone hates that guy 

This is my thing: Hooper is being mentioned with the Travis Kelce, George Kittle, and Zach Ertz. He's the youngest of the three. You'd assume him and Kittle have the biggest upside. In an offense

Hooper is a great player.  I would love to keep him on the roster.  However, if we sign him for ten million a year, then between him, Ryan, and Julio, we will have 60 million a year tied up.  (30% of the salary cap)  That leaves 70% of the cap for the other 50 players.  That's a train wreck.

Our record for the past two seasons with Ryan, Jones, and Hooper was 14 and 18.  Considering the results, why do we want to throw even more money at those guys?

We have no run game.  Our OL can't open holes or protect the QB.  Our defense can't stop the run.  Our secondary is the walking wounded.  Our leading pass rusher (who is an underachiever) is out the door.  We have about 20 million in cap space, and everyone wants to use about half of it to re-sign our 3rd option.

We have Jones, Ridley, Gage, Hardy, and Graham.  We can bring in FA or draft someone for far less that Hooper will cost us.  It just doesn't make sense to continue to pump money into things that are not resulting in W's.  If the organization is smart, they'll franchise Hooper and then trade him for more draft picks.  If Hooper's as great as we all think, then someone would be willing to part with some high draft picks to grab him, right?

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

I see Hooper as a younger Zach Ertz, is Ertz worth top dollar? 

I'm not big on them bringing Hooper back if he's resetting the market simply because of the amount of money already being spent on offense. 

One thing that has to be taken into consideration as far as the bolded is concerned is the amount of players on offense that have been in the league long enough to receive their big payday. That's not fully the case on defense until next season at the minimum. No one ever mentions that. And signing free agents to big deals is as big a crap shoot as the draft

18 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Sounds good to me. You don't have to be athletic to be a successful TE. It's a great addition but your main job is to be the QB's best friend, even more of a best friend than the receivers. People tend to think you need to run a 4.4 in order to get separation, that's not true. Also helps if you can contribute in the run game but out of all 32 starting in the NFL people can only name maybe 4-5 off the top of their head that are superb without looking at analytics. 

Yep

Prime said it best last week as a guest on Skip & Shannon Undisputed. 40 speed is different than game speed. Jerry Rice wasn't a fast receiver based on just raw speed, but he was very fast and hard to keep up with blowing by people on the field during games.

Some players speed don't carry over to the game itself, while some are just faster at playing the game.

16 hours ago, vel said:

I have a hard time with that. Is Hooper worth $10MM per year by himself or will they spend that $10MM on keeping Jamon Brown and Ty Sambrailo?

With a FO who's been very much more miss than hit in free agency, I don't know if you can truly look at the opportunity cost of the $10MM without factoring in track record. 

If you could cut those knuckleheads, and include carpenter as well, I'd be for keeping hoop. That said, Id want a vet edge first and foremost

11 hours ago, birdz4i said:

bad comparison. 

tamme 9 years, rec 259,  yds 2570, td 14. 

hooper 4 years, rec 214, yds 2244, td 16.

I disagree, I think its a valid comparison...Hooper has been the number 1 TE receiving threat 3 of his last 4 seasons....Tamme was on/off as the number 1 who had to battle with Dallas Clark and Julius Thomas

Hoop is above average, but I personally dont think top billing;

Kittle, Kelce, Ertz are locks above

Guys that are on par or better but have question marks include Mark Andrews, Waller, Fant, Hunter Henry, Delanie Walker(hes got the Benjamin Button in him)

IMO, it's foolish to pay $10M to a 3rd recieving option when you already have Julio and Calvin. We have too many holes on the defense. We need a legit edge rusher, LT, DT and possibly SS way more than we need a 3rd recieving option. 

Edited by RubberDucky
13 hours ago, Vandy said:

Hooper isn't Tamme. You guys make yourselves look silly posting all this dumb **** trying to make the point of not wanting to pay the guy .....

I don't know if he is or isn't. I just know when the Falcons give a max contract to a homegrown player, sometimes it works out well and sometimes you get Devonta Freeman and Desmond Truffant. I want to avoid the latter so the tough questions must be asked. 

6 hours ago, Summerhill said:

I don't know if he is or isn't. I just know when the Falcons give a max contract to a homegrown player, sometimes it works out well and sometimes you get Devonta Freeman and Desmond Truffant. I want to avoid the latter so the tough questions must be asked. 

Tough questions, yes. Lame comparisons, no. 

9 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

It’s amazing isn’t it?

The notion that the two are on par with one another is disingenuous at best.  

I know man. It's a very lazy way to argue not paying him. 

On 2/4/2020 at 11:40 AM, vel said:

This is my thing:

Hooper is being mentioned with the Travis Kelce, George Kittle, and Zach Ertz. He's the youngest of the three. You'd assume him and Kittle have the biggest upside. In an offense with Julio, Sanu, and Ridley for most of this year, he was a clear 3rd/4th option.

If you want a clean comp, he's Zach Ertz. They put up the same kind of stats. Ertz has consistently been considered a top 3 TE in the league. Same size. Same speed. Same athleticism. Win in the same areas on the field. 

Hooper is a much better player than Tamme was and has more potential to develop into an even better player. He was literally on pace for a 1,000 yard season if he hadn't gotten hurt and missed 3 games. He's probably the best TE in the league that's 25 or younger. 

Exactly and why it blows my mind folks don't want to pay to keep him but we'll blow money left and right on completely useless players. It's ridiculous.

I don't think Hooper is going to cost as much as some of you are projecting. Hooper is not going to get Kelce, Ertz or Kittle money. Why? Hooper has yet to have a 1000 yards in a season or has ever caught more than 75 balls in a season. I really like Hooper, but he is nowhere near the same class of TE that Kelce and Kittle are. Yes, Hooper is currently ranked #5, but he is seen as being a good player, not a game-changer. Many of you thought it was going to take a huge amount to sign Grady, but instead, it was a fair amount and possibly undervalued. The  Falcons will resign Hooper because there is a steep drop off at the position behind Hooper and because he is not likely to get the sort of attention that many here think he will get on the open market.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:56 PM, birdz4i said:

bad comparison. 

tamme 9 years, rec 259,  yds 2570, td 14. 

hooper 4 years, rec 214, yds 2244, td 16.

Obviously those are the numbers. This argument is asking a hypothetical what would Tamme's career look like if he didn't get drafted by the team that already had Dallas Clark and he didn't sign with a team that had Julius Thomas? It's not a stretch to think Tamme could have had 500+ yards per season in 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2014 when he wasn't playing much. 

18 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I don't think Hooper is going to cost as much as some of you are projecting. Hooper is not going to get Kelce, Ertz or Kittle money. Why? Hooper has yet to have a 1000 yards in a season or has ever caught more than 75 balls in a season. I really like Hooper, but he is nowhere near the same class of TE that Kelce and Kittle are. Yes, Hooper is currently ranked #5, but he is seen as being a good player, not a game-changer. Many of you thought it was going to take a huge amount to sign Grady, but instead, it was a fair amount and possibly undervalued. The  Falcons will resign Hooper because there is a steep drop off at the position behind Hooper and because he is not likely to get the sort of attention that many here think he will get on the open market.

The way the NFL works now is whichever player is a top 10 player at his position and is a free agent, will usually sign the new highest paid contract for his position whether he's the best or not. 

10 hours ago, Summerhill said:

Obviously those are the numbers. This argument is asking a hypothetical what would Tamme's career look like if he didn't get drafted by the team that already had Dallas Clark and he didn't sign with a team that had Julius Thomas? It's not a stretch to think Tamme could have had 500+ yards per season in 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2014 when he wasn't playing much. 

yes but you can also make the argument that he is being hampered by being a 3-4th option, he could have done better on some teams. the commitment to the run game and julio's 200 targets a year and now throw in ridley. i am not insisting that he is a world beater but he has the potential to be a top 5 tight end as he continues to grow.

The thing that to understand is when signing a free agent; his age, has he stayed healthy is he trending up....Hooper meets all of those definitions and will make a lot of money by the Falcons or another team

In other words, Hooper's best years are in front of him, not behind him. This loss on the roster is upsetting because he is the one getting the short end of the stick because of a bad contract with Freeman, poor negotiating with Julio, holding onto Beasley one year too long.

Edited by SOI

If wants anywhere near Ertz money or what Kittle is going to get, he's got to go.

Those guys are number one options on their teams not 3/4. While he is capable, Hoop does a lot of his damage finding spaces in zones, not by creating separation. He has gotten a lot better with his Gonzalez like post up catches though. 

You can argue "who cares" production is production but it means you should be able to find a less expensive replacement and get enough productivity. 

Also, you may want to empty out space underneath to get a receiver some of those catches where they will probably produce more YAC.

I like Hoop and have been rooting for him from the jump but TE is not as important as other positions that are a need. But for God's sake he's better than Tamme.

Edited by Run 'n' Shoot

I love Hoop.  I think he's an above-average chain mover with big ol mitts that snares in most everything.  That being said, and I've said this in the last few years, us Falcons fans are typically not used to being in this situation with our FA's.  For the longest time, our roster has been garbage and often players didn't even see the end of their contract and were cut. We can't pay all of our talent It's just not possible.  If the going rate for above-average TE's is 10 mil, he's worth every penny but tough decisions have to be made and I really liked what I saw out of Jaeden Graham last year and is the drop off from Hooper to Graham worth 10 mil? I dunno.

45 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

I love Hoop.  I think he's an above-average chain mover with big ol mitts that snares in most everything.  That being said, and I've said this in the last few years, us Falcons fans are typically not used to being in this situation with our FA's.  For the longest time, our roster has been garbage and often players didn't even see the end of their contract and were cut. We can't pay all of our talent It's just not possible.  If the going rate for above-average TE's is 10 mil, he's worth every penny but tough decisions have to be made and I really liked what I saw out of Jaeden Graham last year and is the drop off from Hooper to Graham worth 10 mil? I dunno.

Sensible post but I don’t let a 2 time pro bowl TE who’s only 25 walk.