The Value Of Running Backs | PFF

Sidecar Falcon

Interesting topic to consider. I firmly believe that RBs are integral to having a potent offense. I am also not opposed to selecting the right one, given the right circumstances in the 1st round. All that being said, you can still find great value in RBs via the draft/FA/trades.

Earlier this season I made a suggestion to trade for Kenyan Drake. I was immediately met with "knowledgeable" posters who said he isn't good, that we have RBs just as good on our team, etc.

Fast forward...Drake put up 643 yards rushing, 8 TDs, 5.2 YPC, 171 receiving yards. All this in 8 games. Point to all of this is that value can be found anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Earlier this season I made a suggestion to trade for Kenyan Drake. I was immediately met with "knowledgeable" posters who said he isn't good, that we have RBs just as good on our team, etc.

Fast forward...Drake put up 643 yards rushing, 8 TDs, 5.2 YPC, 171 receiving yards. All this in 8 games. Point to all of this is that value can be found anywhere.

Further proof scheme/o-line matter more than the back.

Happens all the time.  Bell goes to the Jets and craps the bed and a fifth round pick takes over in Pitt seamlessly.  An undrafted free agent filled in perfect for Gordon in LA to start the season completely back firing Gordon’s hold out and any leverage he had to get paid.

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

I wish...unfortunately it’s a Coryell which is far less QB & OL friendly.  Todd Monken runs a blend of both which is what I hoped Koetter would do

Gotcha. Either way I think that Drake could have been a potent piece in our offense. I think he’ll get a decent pay day from the Cardinals. This also makes DJ expendable. 

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

Kingsbury also runs 4 WR sets 33% of the time, by far the most in the league, we are at 4%.

To be fair, KK’s 4WR set high percentage is head and shoulders above anyone else. So it really isn’t an indictment on us for only running 4%. 

Statistically speaking Drake could have found success in other systems as well. Having watched him with the Dolphins a number of times, I could see his talent. So I agree that scheme does make a difference. And I believe he would have had success in ours. 

5 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

To be fair, KK’s 4WR set high percentage is head and shoulders above anyone else. So it really isn’t an indictment on us for only running 4%. 

Statistically speaking Drake could have found success in other systems as well. Having watched him with the Dolphins a number of times, I could see his talent. So I agree that scheme does make a difference. And I believe he would have had success in ours. 

For sure, was just saying it is different from that alone, he is doing something has never done in the NFL, taking it to a new level.

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I see this a lot but Koetter regularly has short routes. Just going through the highlights of our games you can see he has as many as 3 guys underneath at times.

There were plenty of times where an underneath guy was open and Ryan elected to throw the ball downfield. Sometimes into double coverage. 

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

I agree to an extent however the player still needs to be talented. 

So do the people in front of him. There's not many guys like Saquon that can make magic without the wand. Even the most productive backs in the league have operate with a good offensive line. Take David Johnson as a great example, his production has dropped significantly behind that trash line in Arizona. Everyone has to do their part

What got me is we didn't use our backs enough,, Yes I've got about 3 backs I'd love for us to get in the draft.. But if they know that they are not going to run the ball more than they did last year.. Then why draft another one?? if they are not going to use a back any more than they did last year.. We don't even need to draft one. Do I want us to draft another back ? Yes I do,, But if we do ,, I want our O# to start running at least 15% more than we did last year.. IMO , it was a big mistake to not run the ball more. The more a back gets the ball , the higher his ypc will rise.. Lot of people on here throwing off on our backs,, But it's not their fault the OC don't give them time to even warm up in a game.. To me,, that's a huge mistake.. Running Game opens up passing game and vsvs. 

2 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

What got me is we didn't use our backs enough,, Yes I've got about 3 backs I'd love for us to get in the draft.. But if they know that they are not going to run the ball more than they did last year.. Then why draft another one?? if they are not going to use a back any more than they did last year.. We don't even need to draft one. Do I want us to draft another back ? Yes I do,, But if we do ,, I want our O# to start running at least 15% more than we did last year.. IMO , it was a big mistake to not run the ball more. The more a back gets the ball , the higher his ypc will rise.. Lot of people on here throwing off on our backs,, But it's not their fault the OC don't give them time to even warm up in a game.. To me,, that's a huge mistake.. Running Game opens up passing game and vsvs. 

Running more would help, or if not, at least use the backs in the passing game more other than just check down options, seeing Juice catch a TD pass in the Super Bowl as a full back and we can’t even get more than a couple designed routes to our RBs a game.  

28 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

So do the people in front of him. There's not many guys like Saquon that can make magic without the wand. Even the most productive backs in the league have operate with a good offensive line. Take David Johnson as a great example, his production has dropped significantly behind that trash line in Arizona. Everyone has to do their part

Football is definitely a team sport. However, not every play is a trash play. There are times when you can see a player's talent level for what it is. No RB on our teams looks to be viable at this point. RB should be addressed at some point this off-season. Rolling with what we have didn't pay off this season at all.

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Football is definitely a team sport. However, not every play is a trash play. There are times when you can see a player's talent level for what it is. No RB on our teams looks to be viable at this point. RB should be addressed at some point this off-season. Rolling with what we have didn't pay off this season at all.

I saw things different with the running backs when the line actually did their jobs. You also have to take into consideration that there's not a scheme in place that allows the line or the running backs to look like world beaters. It's just line up, snap the ball, block straight up, pray for a hole. Dirk is a bigger problem than the RB's IMO

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

I saw things different with the running backs when the line actually did their jobs. You also have to take into consideration that there's not a scheme in place that allows the line or the running backs to look like world beaters. It's just line up, snap the ball, block straight up, pray for a hole. Dirk is a bigger problem than the RB's IMO

I agree that DK is the main reason our offense was awful. However you can still see the flashes of talent a player could have within non-complementary offensive systems. Case in point, Devonta Freeman. DK's system is not a good fit for Freeman's skill set. In 2014 Freeman looked pretty mediocre when looking at things from a macro level, but there were plays where you could see that he had a next level talent. The next season he blew up and looked incredible. This kind of coincides to both of our points; scheme and talent. Of everyone on the RB depth chart, I'm willing to give Ollison the most slack since he is a rookie, scheme, and minimal opportunities.

19 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

So when line did their jobs who looked the best? I go with Hill as I saw Freeman tripping over his own feet to much