TD has never picked or signed a Successful Edge Rusher since he has been here

MAD597

Let that sink in, TD has never picked in the draft or signed in Free agency a consistently successful Edge Rusher since he has been our GM. No Edge Rusher has had multiple good years since being here while TD has been GM.

Several reasons for this, TD has never put a focus on the interior DL, our interior trenches on the DL and even the OL are usually under weight, weak and get pushed around. Grady is about the only example against this. The opposing QB can easily step up in the pocket to avoid our Edge Rushers because our DL does not consistently collapse the pocket. We've seen this for 12 + years.

TD himself and his scouts cannot evaluate Edge rush talent to save their lives. I mean it is pretty clear by now that TD himself and the scouts he hires are pretty clueless in acquiring edge rushing talent. Combine that with a weak interior DL year after year and this is why we ALWAYS suck at pass rushing.

It's certainly not coaching either, we've had 2 defensive minded coaches, a dozen or more DC's and position coaches and the only common denominator is TD and his scouts

So you guys want us AGAIN to waste another 1st rd pick on an Edge rushers when time and time again TD has shown he can't evaluate talent at the Edge and he always neglects the interior DL which makes life ALOT harder for Edge rushers.

It is literally INSANE to think we should keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

My suggestion is to double up on DT's in the first 3 rounds, sign a decent experienced edge rusher under 30 to help Takk out and focus more on interior DL defense and collapsing the pocket from the inside which will allow our edge guys to perform better. 

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Would you guys be open to trading #16 for an established 10 sack guy that you need to pay, ala John Abraham?

We got Abraham for pick #28 I think?

If those 10 sacks were guaranteed to follow him to Atlanta I wouldn't be against it. Abe himself wasn't necessarily consistent. He feasted most against low to mid tiered Tackles. But that's exactly what he was supposed to have done. 

Big problem is he wasted a lot of drafts and money on one WR.  That makes it hard to find good FA.  he did sign Dwight Freeney but he was old by then,  TD  made some good things happen but also failed at somethings.  I think they don't also  pick good coaches  Mike smith , DQ not exactly good at grooming young talent on the D  I say Mike Smith is better then DQ

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

If those 10 sacks were guaranteed to follow him to Atlanta I wouldn't be against it. Abe himself wasn't necessarily consistent. He feasted most against low to mid tiered Tackles. But that's exactly what he was supposed to have done. 

That’s what most Edge rushers do.  On the interior it’s different.  You earn your sacks there.  But most edge sacks are ir ti coverage in the secondary, poor technique by a tackle or a missed assignment

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

That’s what most Edge rushers do.  On the interior it’s different.  You earn your sacks there.  But most edge sacks are ir ti coverage in the secondary, poor technique by a tackle or a missed assignment

That's why I added the last part. You gotta take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves and he's one that did. Since he's been gone that has been absent from Atlanta outside of Clay's 6 sack game against the 4th stringer on Dallas and Vic's 3.5 against Ty in 2016. 2008 was the year for Abe. After that the production was not the same sack wise except 2010. 

32 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Guess you’d need to define successful.  Clayborn has been successful for his cost.  Vic was an All Pro but had two bad years. 

If you are stating he has never drafted a perennial pro bowl player then you are correct

He has never drafted or signed an Edge Rusher that was good consistently multiple years in a row.

TD has had 12 + years, it is pretty pathetic

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Would you guys be open to trading #16 for an established 10 sack guy that you need to pay, ala John Abraham?

We got Abraham for pick #28 I think?

I think Yannick Ngakoue would be that guy, has had no less than 8 sacks a season since he came into the league in 2016.

Still only 24 years old and he may want out of Jacksonville if they franchise tag him.

I'd trade that #16 pick in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I think Yannick Ngakoue would be that guy, has had no less than 8 sacks since he came into the league same season as Beasley in 2016.

Still only 24 years old and he may want out of Jacksonville if they franchise tag him.

I'd trade that #16 pick in a heartbeat.

The only issue with that is that they aren't taking less than 2 firsts for a player like that. 

TD hasn't shown me a consistent track record in selecting anyone on the defensive line. Other than Grady, there really hasn't been anyone we can rely on for any sort of consistency to generate the pass rush. Sure up other positions and make them better, leave DL to FA, and get a proven veteran. I really don't see any rookie coming in and giving us a better pass rush in their 1st season. Personally I think we need to focus on the secondary. If there aren't quality picks then go OL, or LB.

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Only way they take that is if things get ugly and they get desperate for compensation lol. 

Lol

Could happen. Ngakoue has been tweeting cryptic messages. Many Jags fans believe he wants to test FA and wants out of Jacksonville.

To his credit, Jags franchise has been a mess recently. Especially internally.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Lol

Could happen. Ngakoue has been tweeting cryptic messages. Many Jags fans believe he wants to test FA and wants out of Jacksonville.

To his credit, Jags franchise has been a mess recently. Especially internally.

Don't fall for those tweets. **** can be anything from a movie or song quote to a simple troll just because you know how the reactions will be. Since they fired Tom Coughlin I think a lot of the internal issues have cooled. Now they just have to find a way to win

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Don't fall for those tweets. **** can be anything from a movie or song quote to a simple troll just because you know how the reactions will be. Since they fired Tom Coughlin I think a lot of the internal issues have cooled. Now they just have to find a way to win

True.

The only hope I have is that it's Jacksonville lol.

13 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

If possible, I'd give the Jags the #16 1st round pick, the 2020 2nd the Falcons got from the Pats or Sanu, and a 2021 2nd.

That’s too steep.  You’d get him for a 1st because he is an UFA and we would have to pick up the franchise tag or pay huge money to extend him.  He isn’t Khalil Mack.

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That’s too steep.  You’d get him for a 1st because he is an UFA and we would have to pick up the franchise tag or pay huge money to extend him.  He isn’t Khalil Mack.

Yeah

His best football is definitely ahead of him too. Hope whatever the Falcons would give up for him would look like a steal in due time.