Monoxide

A story about Vic Beasley, and why this one stings

50 posts in this topic

This is awesome and yes, this part gets lost far too frequently in football chatter.  These are people under the helmets, they have feelings and emotions like the rest of us.  Vic was a great dude off the field and this just proves it.  How cool is this story (mainly for your salvation CONGRATS but also the response).

I wasn't the biggest Vic fan on the field but off the field I respect the crap outta the guy.  I wish him well wherever he goes.  I do think Quinn held him back and stunted his growth.

Vic the human being may be a great guy but Vic the football player was nothing to write home about. You can hate that opinion all you want. Everyone doesn’t get caught up in stats. We care about overall production. He didn’t provide anything special in that category. Nice that he gave you his autograph 

Rings, IamFRESCO1, Borat and 3 others like this

7 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

*DISCLAIMER: religious post*

As most know, I've been one of the residential Vic Beasley homers since he was drafted. I badly wanted him prior to the draft, and purchased his jersey from NFLShop at 9 AM the following morning of the draft. Even though I loved Vic's athletic abilities and college production, I was admittedly blinded by Vic Beasley the person. A good friend of mine who was a student at Clemson had told me stories about Vic's ability to communicate with everyone he met and a persistent attitude when it came to sharing his faith. This is something that has continued into Vic's professional career as he's never been afraid to express his identity in Christ.

Last year, I felt moved to write Vic Beasley a short letter. As someone who hadn't been a Christian my entire life, I've looked up to Vic Beasley and considered him a role model at a time in my life where I felt it was difficult to share my faith publicly. In the short letter, I thanked Vic for his inspiration and briefly shared my testimony. I sent the letter to Atlanta, never anticipating a response. Less than two months later after almost forgetting about the letter, I received an envelope in the mail with an autographed picture: "To Roger, Congrats on your salvation!"

I share this simply to hopefully shed some light on Vic Beasley the human being. As much as I'll have fond memories of his breakout 2016 year, it's often times what players do off the field that leave the most lasting impressions. I don't plan on retiring my #44 jersey anytime soon.

Sometimes, it's more than football. Atlanta is losing a solid dude, and I wish him the best wherever he goes (praying it's not New Orleans).

vb.jpg

So this is a big loss because he believe in a God and because he responds to fan mail?  There are lots of good guys in the NFL and I would imagine upwards of 95% of them believe in a God. Vic wasn't on a short list of the most admirable people in the NFL, rather he was just one of many solid dudes in the game.  Good luck to him and his future endeavors, but hopefully we replace him with someone who is a more solid player and equally solid  of a human.

Flying Falcon likes this

13 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

*DISCLAIMER: religious post*

As most know, I've been one of the residential Vic Beasley homers since he was drafted. I badly wanted him prior to the draft, and purchased his jersey from NFLShop at 9 AM the following morning of the draft. Even though I loved Vic's athletic abilities and college production, I was admittedly blinded by Vic Beasley the person. A good friend of mine who was a student at Clemson had told me stories about Vic's ability to communicate with everyone he met and a persistent attitude when it came to sharing his faith. This is something that has continued into Vic's professional career as he's never been afraid to express his identity in Christ.

Last year, I felt moved to write Vic Beasley a short letter. As someone who hadn't been a Christian my entire life, I've looked up to Vic Beasley and considered him a role model at a time in my life where I felt it was difficult to share my faith publicly. In the short letter, I thanked Vic for his inspiration and briefly shared my testimony. I sent the letter to Atlanta, never anticipating a response. Less than two months later after almost forgetting about the letter, I received an envelope in the mail with an autographed picture: "To Roger, Congrats on your salvation!"

I share this simply to hopefully shed some light on Vic Beasley the human being. As much as I'll have fond memories of his breakout 2016 year, it's often times what players do off the field that leave the most lasting impressions. I don't plan on retiring my #44 jersey anytime soon.

Sometimes, it's more than football. Atlanta is losing a solid dude, and I wish him the best wherever he goes (praying it's not New Orleans).

vb.jpg

Most of these players are really good guys -, especially on the Falcons. AB has always brought high-character guys on board. I wish Vic all the best, unless as you said, it's in NOLA. 

6 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

So this is a big loss because he believe in a God and because he responds to fan mail?  There are lots of good guys in the NFL and I would imagine upwards of 95% of them believe in a God. Vic wasn't on a short list of the most admirable people in the NFL, rather he was just one of many solid dudes in the game.  Good luck to him and his future endeavors, but hopefully we replace him with someone who is a more solid player and equally solid  of a human.

It's a big loss for the OP...and there's nothing wrong with that. 

21 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Vic the human being may be a great guy but Vic the football player was nothing to write home about. You can hate that opinion all you want. Everyone doesn’t get caught up in stats. We care about overall production. He didn’t provide anything special in that category. Nice that he gave you his autograph 

I'm a proud Christian myself and Vic did a nice gesture by signing his picture.

But there were so many times where the guy looked like didn't have it on the field. That image of him in the tunnel before the game was over is commonly brought up, but people always forget he retweeted that 28-3 joke right after that Super Bowl loss in playoff games he didn't show up for. Never looked at him the same.

Didn't know all that about Beasley --- Thanks for sharing! 
Sounds like a good dude off the field.  Just couldn't seem to reach his potential, and be consistent, after a great 2016. 
I wish him the best, though!  Now watch him go to another team, and be a world-beater --- just hope it's not the Aints, which it very well could be! 

The OP is sharing his personal story of why he liked Vic. This has nothing to do with X’s & O’s and idk why some of y’all are feeling the need to make it about Vic the ball player when this was supposed to be about Vic the man. There are plenty of threads dedicated to his play 

Cool story man 

papachaz, dardan, Vandy and 8 others like this

1 minute ago, TheFalcoholic said:

The OP is sharing his personal story of why he liked Vic. This has nothing to do with X’s & O’s and idk why some of y’all are feeling the need to make it about Vic the ball player when this was supposed to be about Vic the man. There are plenty of threads dedicated to his play 

Cool story man 

Sincerest apologies. From the heart

Flying Falcon likes this

21 minutes ago, stizz said:

I'm a proud Christian myself and Vic did a nice gesture by signing his picture.

But there were so many times where the guy looked like didn't have it on the field. That image of him in the tunnel before the game was over is commonly brought up, but people always forget he retweeted that 28-3 joke right after that Super Bowl loss in playoff games he didn't show up for. Never looked at him the same.

He retweeted a joke about 28-3??  First I have heard of that.  If that is true that is definitely not the type of mentality I want from any player on this team, especially one who was on the field during that game and didn't show up.  I know this thread is getting derailed, but that is shocking if he was retweeting something about the worst day in Falcons history and of his professional career.

3 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Great story and post. Some of you ******s need to learn to just hit the back button instead of responding.

Was it really a great story?  A grown man telling a story about getting an autographed picture from his favorite NFL player.  That is a story I would expect a 10 year old to get excited about.  

GeorgiaBoyz likes this

One of the many things that I like about being a Falcons fan is that almost all of our players seem to be "good humans". Although rare exceptions occur, I almost never have to feel the need to apologize for their off-the-field actions. Victories in games come and go, but being inspirational to others in life has lasting consequences. Thanks for sharing your story! I'm hoping Vic will end up in a good place and be successful.

So he sent you a picture of his groan and autographed it? Hmm

Anyway, just to let you know.. Alot of falcons players are Christian.. And several of those actually work hard and earn thier paychecks.. Probably one of those guys would be better roll models? 

Flying Falcon and Osiruz like this

3 hours ago, ATL_666 said:

Was it really a great story?  A grown man telling a story about getting an autographed picture from his favorite NFL player.  That is a story I would expect a 10 year old to get excited about.  

It was meaningful to him so yeah, it's great. It had nothing to do with the football player but the man but you all insist on making it about that. If you don't like him just leave the conversation alone. 

3 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

So he sent you a picture of his groan and autographed it? Hmm

Anyway, just to let you know.. Alot of falcons players are Christian.. And several of those actually work hard and earn thier paychecks.. Probably one of those guys would be better roll models? 

Did you really just say 'roll' model?

kaiser-roll.jpg