Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
theProf

Drafttek's Feb. 1 seven-round mock draft

1.   A.J. Epenesa  DE  Iowa

Since arriving in Atlanta as GM, Thomas Dimitroff has struggled to find an impact edge rusher --despite employing two head coaches who started as defensive line coaches. Only Vic Beasley's single season in 2016 qualifies as a success, and one that proved unrepeatable. He's been much more adept at finding interior rushers like Grady Jarrett and his 22% pass-rush win rate , which was second only to Aaron Donald's this season. They've also found success with players like Adrian Clayborn and Jack Crawford, who can play inside on clear passing downs and outside in base packages.

Enter AJ Epenesa. Unlike Beasley, who he would be tasked to replace, his game is about power and surprising quickness. He's a high motor player with a massive wingspan and the ability to disrupt in both the run game and the passing game. When you're drawing comparisons to Trey Flowers and (gulp) JJ Watt, I think it's safe to say you can be an asset for a defense that has struggled to collapse the pocket. Pairing Epenesa's power game with a (hopefully healthy) Takk McKinley and Pro Bowler Grady Jarrett could give Atlanta a defensive front stout enough to help out a young secondary.

2a.  Jake Hanson  OC   Oregon

Last year's draft plan was to rebuild the entire right side of the offensive line to help protect Matt Ryan and open holes in the running game. Chris Lindstrom's Week One injury scuttled that plan; Matt Ryan was hit like a pinata; the running game covered less ground than a picnic blanket. However, there were some encouraging signs after he returned, and Caleb McGary should improve in his second season.

Left Guard, however, remains a problem despite the signing of two veteran free agents. The O-Line ranked 29th in pass blocking win rate. Jake Hanson is a technically-sound player who can eventually take over for Alex Mack at the pivot. Perhaps the Falcons sweat it out and try to nab a player like Matt Hennessy later, but that approach got them in this jam in the first place.

2b.  Julian Okwara  Edge  Notre Dame

If the Falcons could combine a power rusher like Epenesa in the first round with a speed rusher like Okwara in the second, they would have to be ecstatic with this draft. Okwara has a lot of Vic Beasley in his game, for better or worse. He's a speed rusher off the edge with little ability to set the edge against the run or play the power game. He has struggled to translate his athleticism to production --only 4 sacks this year-- but the intensity and football IQ are there to become the LEO edge player that Dan Quinn has needed since the 2017 season opened.

3.  Hunter Bryant  TE  Washington

4.  Dele Harding  OLB  Illinois

5.  Olohi Gilman  S  Notre Dame

7.  Bryce Perkins  QB  Virginia

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

I like it. Not entirely sold on the 3rd rounder. I'm vs the masses here by thinking Freeman should return and see what's left in the tank with a fully healthy offensive line so I see an early rb pick as a waste so I applaud skipping that all together here. Depth at the lb and safety front and pick up a nice insurance if Hooper leaves in FA. 

2 hours ago, EastCoastFalcon902 said:

I like it. Not entirely sold on the 3rd rounder. I'm vs the masses here by thinking Freeman should return and see what's left in the tank with a fully healthy offensive line so I see an early rb pick as a waste so I applaud skipping that all together here. Depth at the lb and safety front and pick up a nice insurance if Hooper leaves in FA. 

The selection of a TE in the third round makes sense,  if the Falcons do not re-sign Hooper.  I tend to think that a deficiency of this particular mock draft is in not drafting a RB though. So I suppose I'm with the "masses here" by thinking that Freeman is probably done.

2 hours ago, Romfal said:

really pulling straws here complaining about a 7th round pick. Its just a glorified UDFA

Don’t matter what anyone thinks of where the pick is, if I say I don’t like it I don’t like it. I don’t need validation my man. I need to say what I’m gonna say. Period.

13 hours ago, Knight of God said:

It’ll work. I don’t like the QB pick

If we could get him in the 7th round,, jerk his arm off,, But no way will he last till the 7th round.. NO WAY. But hey,, if we could get a great deal on a QB we do need to get one.. to let him study under Ryan for a couple of years,, then he'd be ready to take over when Ryan does retire.. You never know when your back up will have to take over the rest of the year.. So I'm all for drafting a Great QB in this Draft in the Right Round for the player.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here yet is the likelihood of a trade-up with our second-round picks. I'm not talking about combining all three for a top-six pick. I mean our using New England and Atlanta's second-round picks to get up to #22 in the draft. We could feasibly do that and take two front-seven players. Personally, I'd prefer us to trade down, but the value flatlines around #8 this season. Then, it flatlines again around #25. I wouldn't be surprised if TD did this.

21 hours ago, theProf said:

The selection of a TE in the third round makes sense,  if the Falcons do not re-sign Hooper.  I tend to think that a deficiency of this particular mock draft is in not drafting a RB though. So I suppose I'm with the "masses here" by thinking that Freeman is probably done.

Plus, you can use an upgrade at the RB position, whether Freeman has something left in the tank or not. 

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

If we could get him in the 7th round,, jerk his arm off,, But no way will he last till the 7th round.. NO WAY. But hey,, if we could get a great deal on a QB we do need to get one.. to let him study under Ryan for a couple of years,, then he'd be ready to take over when Ryan does retire.. You never know when your back up will have to take over the rest of the year.. So I'm all for drafting a Great QB in this Draft in the Right Round for the player.

I’d rather not but that’s just me. Realistically I’m not even sure if I care anymore