Rewatched several full games from this past season...my thoughts and notes on all of our players

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matt Ryan - Let's get this out of the way first - I want Ryan next year, and I think he's a good quarterback. That being said, he was not very good this year. This was easily his worst year since 2015

Good post and honest. Now I’ll see myself out before someone quotes it

I'll go back and read the rest later, but I wanted to make this comment about Matt Ryan, yes he was off and missed a lot of throws we're used to seeing him make, but I attribute that to the change in

Definitely agree, Ryan is pretty bad at this point of his career.. Oline needs a new coach and we've got a bottom basement bum passrush.. Our entire oline blocking scheme is just bad.. We never have linemen down field blocking on run plays.. Just a few times they break out to block on screens.. Just horrible concept imo

Great post.  When you focus in on individual players it's interesting how much different things seem. Quarterbacks always look worse when you focus just on them. The truth is that on most plays there's an open receiver. But two seconds goes by pretty quickly and it's tough when there are five reads or options.  Ryan has always had Happy feet which has always been my main criticism of him. there will be two or three games a year where he simply gets rattled.

P

I agree with everything. Apparently you and I were watching the exact same Falcons team all season. Your criticism of Ryan was spot on. He looked befuddled and often lost his composure well before the pass rush got to him. His throws were often off-target and generally had a very poor season for him.

Taking a second look at Mack you feel better about his play, which I definitely find reassuring. Toward the end of the season I really thought he was a liability out there on too many plays. Great to have some renewed confidence he can still be the glue that holds the OL together.

Agree our running back corps is nothing special and it's time for Free to find a new team. A lot of RB's look vely intelesting in the draft. Swift will be long gone before we start looking to select a RB, but we could still grab somebody pretty good ~ Zack Moss, J.K. Dobbins, A.J. Dillon, etc.

You feel Dirk didn't suck as bad as we all thought? Good to hear! lol Admittedly he couldn't be as bad as I've had him pegged. I really hope he's able to expand his playbook and get a running game going.

This was a good job analyzing these games with your second look. Sounds like a few tweaks here and there and some good talent out of those first four picks for DL, G/C, CB and RB and we could be a much more competitive team this year. Hopefully there will be enough urgency in preseason to get off to a decent start this time around.

good post. in re-watching the games the thing i noticed more than anything ...  we got screwed big time by refs in like 5 games. the worst being the infamous 16 penalty game again the Colts. the game before that was pretty bad but after the Colts game, guys were missing and whiffing on tackles or not engaging on blocks because they were scared of getting penalized. 

the only thing I disagree on was the defensive play-calling was pretty bad early in the season. this is gonna be an unpopular opinion but I think we should go ahead and move Wes to OC permanently and if we don't draft an O-lineman, put Gono in as the starter at LG and let him get all the reps. the right side and LT is locked. if Mack is staying, name Gono or Wes as starter and let them get the reps necessary to make the starting 5 as cohesive as possible early

Strong analysis there sir.

I wish we had more info on what the organization has in plans for Commisky offseason. Heavier? Lighter? Interior or edge? His potential and showing in limited snaps is undeniable. Specifically as a position of need.  Atlanta pundit coverage is weak, always has been, really irks me.

Wes in my opinion is a must re sign, agree that his play was solid.

Pairing either Grady or Deon with pick number 16  (Murray, Chaison, Kinlaw, Gallimore) would I think really move the defense forward. Grady especially.

I refuse to share any more thoughts on how bad the Carpenter signing was. The sooner he is off the books the better

Good job FYM....agree pretty much 100% with your player takes. Matt was off most of year, freeman ran tentative, Wes was much better than TAFT claims. McGary was mucho better than D-Led/media claims as well. 

Cominsky should have gotten more snaps IMO. 

Only place I disagree is the OC/DC performance. I thought Both DK and especially DQ were god awful coordinators last season.

46 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Strong analysis there sir.

I wish we had more info on what the organization has in plans for Commisky offseason. Heavier? Lighter? Interior or edge? His potential and showing in limited snaps is undeniable. Specifically as a position of need.  Atlanta pundit coverage is weak, always has been, really irks me.

Wes in my opinion is a must re sign, agree that his play was solid.

Pairing either Grady or Deon with pick number 16  (Murray, Chaison, Kinlaw, Gallimore) would I think really move the defense forward. Grady especially.

I refuse to share any more thoughts on how bad the Carpenter signing was. The sooner he is off the books the better

This. I agree and feel like that has to be our aim with the first pick. Wouldn’t be mad if our first two picks were front seven. 

listen mannnnn.... im glad someone we looked at the games also and saw alot of the things i saw.

Kalib McGary: He had a couple of really rough games (at the end of certain games) that makes his year look downer then it was... He had more good then bad and i was encouraged... Coaching plus a year under his belt plus development and conditioning .. If i remember it correctly the 2nd saints game... He had a solid game until the very end where he looked tired and technique and everything was just off... I really like what we have in he and Lindstrom

John Cominsky: Seeing him again at the end of the year has me excited in what he can become.... Dude disruptive... I still dont get why he and Gono didnt get more snaps.... I know he had a injury but man it doesnt make sense

Deion Jones: Dude is just a STUD.... Its a reason why RBs didnt kill us like they did whenever he is not playing.... He didnt have those insaneints (except the last game) so ppl think he had a bad year but dude was good... Couple he be even more of a playmaker... Yes... But dude was good like year

I agree with mainly everything... The only thing  i kinda disagree somewhat is its hard to to really judge the DBs during those 1st 8 games..... The whole **** secondary just looked flat out confused.. IDK what the **** was going on..... Play Calling and execution.. The only thing i could say for sure after those 8 games was that Kazee is 10000000% a FS.

But yea i dont know how to judge the the Secondary at all during the 1st 8 games.. Was it coaching ?.. Was it play calling ?..... Its hard to say it was just the players because EVERYYYYBODY improved at the same time..lol

I also disagree with the Tru statement....I think we are a better secondary with Tru back there next year.

Overall this was real dope read man.... Good post..... Im about to rewatch the Eagles, saints, and 49ers games as we speak

7 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Right on point!! Said many of the same things this past season, about Freeman and our RB situation, along with McGary and his conditioning giving-up most of his sacks in the 4th. 

I never expressed it, but unfortunately do agree with you about Neal. Need to look for his replacement. We have a chance at having 3-5 of our drat picks making an impact next season, but can't see us drafting a Safety with one of those picks. Way too easy to pick-up good Safeties in FA for a reasonable price tag.

There are a lot of patterns you can pick up on by watching consecutive snaps of consecutive games one right after another, fast forwarding through halftime and commercials. I did that last year and some patterns emerged of some things I hadn’t noticed just watching games live.

Interesting observation on McGary wearing down late in games. Fatigue can cause mental mistakes or make a player slower to react creating the illusion he lacks physical talent.

I also believe Free’s best days are long behind him and we need a new primary RB. 

Having said, "Way too easy to pick-up good Safeties in FA for a reasonable price tag" makes me think about something.

At the time, the high 6th round pick we gave NE for a 1-year rental on a washed-up Safety, makes me wonder if this was not part of the Sanu trade? A high 6th for a Safety not seeing playing time, and a 2nd for Sanu, do not make sense by themselves. Put them together and they both do make more sense. Who knows how TD and Belichick work? 

This is the reason I like coming here.  

Thank you for the insightful write up on the players FYM. Wished we had this kind of analysis from any of the media. 

Could anyone give me their opinion on Jordan Miller?   I know he was suspended....but as the Patriots have demonstrated....if you are not cheating, you are not trying.

Said it before and I will say it again.  We ain't got no run game.  Not winning any playoffs or superbowl without a run game.  Freeman might give it the old college try but 3.6 avg yds does not cut it. None of our RB's break 5.... with Ito being close with I think 4.6 yds per carry.

We are 30th folks in rushing yds.

Ryan would do better if the Oline wasn't so porous.  He spends more time looking over his shoulder at the other teams defense chasing him down, then setting up and finding an open player.  Its not Matty's job to block and be quarterback.  I watch other teams and their QB's have enough time to have a coffee before they set and pass.  Our wr's are fine if not above caliber.

DQ gets outplayed... period.  He should spend more time studying the opposing coaches than just playcalling.  He is not a solid strategist. He needs to get in the other coaches head.

Koo saved our kicking play.  He should come back.  Vic Beastly is Mr inconsistently.  Never know if he is going to show up.  Keep him or cut him.. everything comes down to the cap.

Something no one mentions lately.  Penalties.  We improved a lot in that area.  We were giving away 100 yds in penalties.  By end of the season that was vastly improved.  Made a difference.

37 minutes ago, duckhoa said:

Could anyone give me their opinion on Jordan Miller?   I know he was suspended....but as the Patriots have demonstrated....if you are not cheating, you are not trying.

He really didn't get a chanice to show anything last year.

I still have high hopes with him tho... I remember he looked like a  high round draft pick before he broke his ankle in 2017.. 

Dude is a 4.4 guy at 6'1 with long arms.. Good ballskills... He needed to get stronger tho

But I think he is a prospect ppl are just over looking but he has the tools... The suspension sets him back but I wouldn't count him out.

I'll go back and read the rest later, but I wanted to make this comment about Matt Ryan, yes he was off and missed a lot of throws we're used to seeing him make, but I attribute that to the change in systems. In the WCO QB's are taught to throw to spots and trust that the receiver will be there. Ryan played 4 years in that system and had his 2 best years of his career. Then we switched back to Dirk Koetter and now we're back to Ryan trying to throw to receivers instead of spots on the field. It takes two completely different set of mechanics and timings to run each system. Just go back to 2015 and Ryan's first year under Shanny and look at all the missed throws. It was the same issue, but the opposite side of the coin. He missed a lot of throws he normally makes because he was so used to throwing to receivers and the WCO is all about throwing to spots. I think in year two under Koetter we'll see a much better year from Matt Ryan. Ryan is not "done" as "severely declining" as some folks are trying to push. His arm strength also isn't in severe decline. Anyone that believes that is a fool.

This ball traveled 50 yards in the air.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'll go back and read the rest later, but I wanted to make this comment about Matt Ryan, yes he was off and missed a lot of throws we're used to seeing him make, but I attribute that to the change in systems. In the WCO QB's are taught to throw to spots and trust that the receiver will be there. Ryan played 4 years in that system and had his 2 best years of his career. Then we switched back to Dirk Koetter and now we're back to Ryan trying to throw to receivers instead of spots on the field. It takes two completely different set of mechanics and timings to run each system. Just go back to 2015 and Ryan's first year under Shanny and look at all the missed throws. It was the same issue, but the opposite side of the coin. He missed a lot of throws he normally makes because he was so used to throwing to receivers and the WCO is all about throwing to spots. I think in year two under Koetter we'll see a much better year from Matt Ryan. Ryan is not "done" as "severely declining" as some folks are trying to push. His arm strength also isn't in severe decline. Anyone that believes that is a fool.

This ball traveled 50 yards in the air.

Good post. I think some of the happy feet and frustration came early, like you stated, due to a scheme change. May have had some shanny stuff, but wasn’t it. He’s already adjusted and done well under sark as well. The running game—or lack thereof—certainly didn’t help.

Excellent write up OP! To be honest, I hope we go boom or bust to get Calais Campbell. I wanted him when he was leaving Arizona and still want him now. I think him being paired up with Grady will make Takk adrian Cominsky and whomever we draft look above average. If it means letting Hooper go, im not shedding tears.

It's amazing that the staff has been able to get solid results from the defense with the little amount of cap allocated to that side of the ball. When they get their act together they play like a top 5 or top 10 defense.  Yet with all the money the offense consumes, with the exception of Kyle's time here, they always underperform. That's why I don't mind losing Hooper. I think we are much closer to being elite on the defensive side of the ball in terms of performance and team impact than on offense despite it having elite talent. Let's tip the cap balance towards the defense for once under Quinn and get him some game changers for once. 

Im tired of trying to get every toy and every thing perfect for Ryan. Let's get this team a defense that can be carried by game changers.