Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

February 2020 UGA Recruiting Thread - National Signing Day edition

26 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Ohh that's right you know all because you read Jeff Sentell and watch Brooks Austin. Carry on. 

Dude, there's an interview where McConkey said this all himself.  The whole "doctors said my growth plates are still open" and weight and size where all out of his own freaking mouth,

So bite me, ignoramous.

Edited by Beef

23 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

Yes, he has a big upside imo.   Will be able to help out as soon as 2021 after a redshirt year.  I'm excited to see what he can do and hopefully he can get on the field some in 4 games this year.  

Let him be the "Joker" come play off time! :ninja:

56 minutes ago, Beef said:

Huh??

Kendall Milton and Daijun Edwards arent pure RB’s??  What?

The only reason Milton isn’t a 5* is because he committed way early, shut down his recruiting, and didn’t go to a single allstar game (turned them all down after being asked to attend every one of them).

Recruiting sites don’t like you when you don’t help them generate clicks with storylines.  But mark it, Milton will be a first round draft pick in 3 years and another Todd Gurley in the NFL.

And Edwards will be a better version of Elijah Holyfield for us.  Actually, a much better receiver, so will end up with more ap yards.

Huh?  I'm talking about Ohio State, my bad...:lol:  Georgia is LOADED at running back.  Ohio State is hurting in that area..

Just now, Spts1 said:

Huh?  I'm talking about Ohio State, my bad...:lol:  Georgia is LOADED at running back.  Ohio State is hurting in that area..

I see that now.  Yeah my bad, man.  I forgot you were an OSU fan.  Your sentence made it sound like you were speaking only about the Dawgs.  My fault. :tiphat:

13 hours ago, Beef said:

He’s 170-175. Guess you didn’t see his interview with Jeff Sentell.

He was 5’6 115 just 2 years ago, and grew 6 inches and gained 55-60 lbs since.  And he said his mother was worried and took him to the doctor who after xrays said his growth plates were still open and he will likely grow a couple more inches and pack on more weight.

Ladd will be 6’1 200 within a year, most likely.  His brother is 6’2 220, same as his dad.

Someone pointed out (don't remember who) that he's the same size as Hardman was coming out of high school.  Most freshman aren't ready to contribute right out HS but size shouldn't be a concern with this kid. 

12 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Someone pointed out (don't remember who) that he's the same size as Hardman was coming out of high school.  Most freshman aren't ready to contribute right out HS but size shouldn't be a concern with this kid. 

This is basically what has been said. Literally no one said size would be an issue for him long term. Has been said multiple times he just needs to add weight. Which he will.

People really get caught up talking past each other.

I don’t think size will be an issue.   Also, fairly certain the kid is 5’11 1/2” and 175lbs because when I saw in article that is exact same size as my 18yr old son who is well built but lean.   

Probably this time next year the kid will be pushing 190-195 with the UGA training table.  He will be fine at that weight.

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

This is basically what has been said. Literally no one said size would be an issue for him long term. Has been said multiple times he just needs to add weight. Which he will.

People really get caught up talking past each other.

Yes I was able to read what has been said regarding Mcconkey's weight.  Generally  "size" refers height AND weight and was only mentioning because the comparison with Mecole Hardman if that's ok with you?

4 hours ago, frankly88 said:

Yes I was able to read what has been said regarding Mcconkey's weight.  Generally  "size" refers height AND weight and was only mentioning because the comparison with Mecole Hardman if that's ok with you?

It’s not ok. Nothing is ok. Burn this place to the ground! :argh:

8 hours ago, Beef said:

Huh??

Kendall Milton and Daijun Edwards arent pure RB’s??  What?

The only reason Milton isn’t a 5* is because he committed way early, shut down his recruiting, and didn’t go to a single allstar game (turned them all down after being asked to attend every one of them).

Recruiting sites don’t like you when you don’t help them generate clicks with storylines.  But mark it, Milton will be a first round draft pick in 3 years and another Todd Gurley in the NFL.

And Edwards will be a better version of Elijah Holyfield for us.  Actually, a much better receiver, so will end up with more ap yards.

He’s suddenly not a UGA fan anymore..

2 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Yeah I don’t know how Helton is supposed to recruit kids to USC when everyone and their mother knows he’s skating on borrowed time. The administration out there is a hot mess.

6 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

He’s suddenly not a UGA fan anymore..

Decided to just go along with us telling him to go be an Ohio State fan because of his constant whining about Fields. Didn’t even know OSU hasn’t recruited RBs worth a crap lately until Sac told him a while ago. Bad internet. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Yeah I don’t know how Helton is supposed to recruit kids to USC when everyone and their mother knows he’s skating on borrowed time. The administration out there is a hot mess.

Yep... Poor leadership across the board. In an effort to avoid pressure to hire Urban, they postponed making a decision it seems. The old saying that comes to mind:

"That which will be done eventually should be done immediately..."

They're going to be so far behind when they finally pull the trigger.

Love that attitude. I was admittedly pretty meh about him flipping but the more I read about him the more I like the addition. Even if he doesn’t break through to a starting role, which he very well may, but even if he doesn’t he seems like a guy who is going to push everyone to up their game. Under appreciated aspect of quality depth. 

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Decided to just go along with us telling him to go be an Ohio State fan because of his constant whining about Fields. Didn’t even know OSU hasn’t recruited RBs worth a crap lately until Sac told him a while ago. Bad internet. 

If he can change teams that easy, he was never a fan to begin with. 

my .02

16 hours ago, Carter said:

Love that attitude. I was admittedly pretty meh about him flipping but the more I read about him the more I like the addition. Even if he doesn’t break through to a starting role, which he very well may, but even if he doesn’t he seems like a guy who is going to push everyone to up their game. Under appreciated aspect of quality depth. 

yep he is a heck of a pickup.. too many guys are into stars only, but watching his tape he is a heck of a talent.  we flipped him over a week ago so that explains we told charles bell no. 

Nice little write-up from SoFl Dawg....ranking impact recruits (no transfers) from 1-25 from the 2020 recruiting class:

2020 proved to be another great haul of collective talent and high character young men. Can’t sleep and thought I’d type something up to pass the time. I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge our haul, while ranking them excludes transfers in.

1.    Jalen Carter-IMO he’s the best player of this class. Former TE, with perfect blend of speed and power. 300 lbs capable of a windmill dunk. Elite athletically. Explosive, stocky, well built player that will out leverage interior OL by getting under them. Capable of running through them or around them. Immediate impact player that will push the two deep early on. Likely best 3T we’ve had in long time.

2.    Kelee Ringo-Not many DBs are made like him. Best DB in 20 imo. Most talented DB we’ve taken in Kirby era. Big, long, fast, will strike you, and has solid ball skills. Rarely challenged in HS. Versatile, can play all 6 positions in defensive backfield. Would expect immediate impact on ST, may eventually settle into the Star role.

3.    Broderick Jones-prototypical LT. Raw, not technically sound yet which screams incredible ceiling. Super athletic with great feet and lateral mobility. Ridiculous frame. I do think he may need a year, but I fully expect him to be 3 and done in Athens. Huge pickup.

4.    Mekhail Sherman-personal fave of mine. I really like this kid. Perseveres through adversity, focused and driven, with equal talent to match the mental makeup. This is the type of player that’s a two year captain and you win championships with. Lateral mobility is still coming back, but legit 4.5-6 speed at 240. Can play DE, OLB, or drop into coverage. Huge get, could emerge as the best in that room despite being the most talented room on team.

5.    Kendall Milton-we’re still RBU. You can repeat everything about Mekhail here. Mental makeup matches elite talent. Smooth strider, with wiggle and power. Reminds me of Willis Mcgahee and Arian Foster. Gets knocked for his long speed but 4.7 40 is plenty at 235 lbs. He gets plenty of reps this season, especially if Zeus isn’t quite right. Future UGA captain.

6.    Jermaine Burton-I’ve thought he was the second most complete WR this cycle for a long time. Dangerous with ball in his hand. Physical, fast, strong hands, chip on his shoulder and has that Pickens like edge to his game. Really like the comparison to Jarvis Landry here. Can play all positions at WR, versatile. Need to find ways to get him the ball.

7.    Tate Ratledge-don't be surprised if he ends up being the best of the OL haul. Huge kid, nasty demeanor, plays the game the right way. Future RT for us. Lots of parallels to Cade Mays, equally as versatile. Can see him being a swing OL off the bench mid season.

8.    Marcus Rosemy-I think he’s the most ready to play from a polished standpoint. Great body control, strong hands. Compared to Ridley often but he’s more explosive imo, despite not having top end speed. Immediate impact player that will be a possession WR, first down machine.

9.    Sedrick Van Pran-Granger-First thing comes to mind is leader. Incredibly mature. Epitome of a C. Repeat everything I’ve said about Mekhail and Kendall. Can mirror, hold point of attack, and climb to second level with ease. More powerful & athletic Galliard. Might be RS candidate, but I think he’s the starting C in 21.

10.  Carson Beck- might be natural to be concerned with QB ranked this low. I think this kid is a gamer. I think he’ll be better with the talent around him. Showed accuracy challenges during camps, but also showed how resilient he is. Physically big with mobility, good-very good arm. He’s not likely to win the job in 20, but based on what I’ve heard on him, he’s going to push that room to be better.

11.  Justin Robinson- soon enough everyone will understand why he was our first priority at WR. Physical mismatch that brings explosiveness to the X position. More polish than he gets credit for because of limited tape. Might push 215 by year end with 4.5 speed. High ceiling, high floor kid. Already wowing in workouts. This is a huge advantage. Might end up being the best of the WRs at careers end. I can easily see him being drafted the highest of WR corp.

12.  Darnell Washington- so five star at 12 right? Obviously physically and athletically gifted, without question. Really raw imo, going to have to learn to play the position but should be a green zone nightmare. Love the physicality but want to hear about how physical he is when he doesn’t dwarf the man across from him. Route running currently a concern but when you’re that big, maybe not that big of a deal as you can box out defenders. I do think he’s a player that will learn from others on when to be serious, how to be a professional amateur that’s required at UGA. Hopefully he’ll lean on guys like Kendall, Sherm, SVPG, and Robinson. I dropped him here primarily because of that. Top 5 raw talent though.

13.  Jalen Kimber-I really think this is a kid who will be a star eventually. I like him in the same mold as E. Stokes. Long, athletic, fast, but will take some time to develop his body. Nice frame to fill out though. I love the confidence he plays with, so FL DB swag from the heart of TX. Could be a RS candidate but I have him this high because I think he’s a 2 year starter at some point.

14.  Arian Smith- what more needs to be said than speed kills? He’s more polished than many think while still being incredibly raw. Football player. Game changing speed with improving hands. Under Monken philosophies, Smith is the type of player that will get national recognition by consistently going over the top. His YAC could be game changing especially if he can work inside. Huge get.

1. Chad Lindberg-admittedly I probably have him too low. Epitome of RBU OL. Big and nasty, likely projects inside. Firmly on two deep next year inside, likely RG.
  2. Warren Brinson- I’m excited about Warren. Comes out of a great program at IMG and consistently improved. Going to be a gap filler NT, capable of collapsing the pocket occasionally. As an EE, he might earn some snaps and bypass a RS in 20.
  3. Ladd McConkey- it’s not often that the least talented of 5 WRs sparks the type of interest this kid has with me. Under the old system, I’d wonder how he could get on the field being slight. Under Monken, I’d question how you keep this kid off the field? Quick feet, great hands, can create separation quickly. I like the McKenzie comparison here better than Hardman, but I also see a lot of Antonio Brown route running ability and separation (don’t kill me).
  4. Jared Zirkel-despite the blue shirt, this kid can boom it. With Hot Rod leaving, Zirkel has some big shoes to fill. On leg talent alone, he has a decided advantage.
  5. Major Burns- lots to really like about this young man too. Love his why, really like his game. Drips swag as well. I do see him as a safety here but he’ll get a look at CB. Should be RS candidate but as EE, he has the opportunity to change that.
  6. Daijun Edwards- very talented back. Brown paper lunch bag type kid. Just shows up to work, ready to work, doesn’t say much. Dell’s been high on him for a long time. I see a lot of Herrien to his game with his ability to catch out of the backfield, might have a little more bounce and wiggle than Herrien though.
  7. Nazir Stackhouse- quality DL depth piece that showed some flashes in a few games this year. Offers ability at 1-3T. I think comparable player to Julian Rochester with potential to be more impactful. We’ll see how it goes here.
  8. Austin Blaske- all I know here is that staff was really excited about this pickup. Kid always wanted to be at UGA, likely projects inside, but athletic and powerful. Going to take a while but I do think he starts for us at some point ~22 season.
  9. Daran Branch- on the hoof, impressively built DB. Long and athletic, lacks top end speed. Good film though. Plays with passion and should push those in front of him.
  10. Devon Willock- both CSP and CML really liked his athleticism. He’s going to need some time here, maybe 2+ years but we’ll have a better idea of what he can really do then.
  11. Cameron Kinnie- honestly I don’t know much about him. Was recruited as C, capable of playing DL as well. High character kid. Let’s see how he develops.

what I like is we have three bonafide class leaders in Mekhail Sherman, Kendall Milton and SVPG - obviously talent is most important thing but you need some bonafide leader types as well - SoFl points this out above and stands out for me.