February 2020 UGA Recruiting Thread - National Signing Day edition

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Yep. Was gonna make a post just like this. Bean counting Kirby's class size is a big waste of time. Let's all remember that next year, and remind those that forget by then :lol:

i so get sick of that crap done by rusty and other boards.. they have no clue what we will do number wise. 

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kirby quote on recruiting guys with character concerns... “It should never be the only thing, but it’s definitely the most important thing. The older I get, the more wiser I get, the more you rea

From Chad Simmons: Talking to sources throughout the day today, it is clear Matt Luke “KILLED IT” with Jones.One source told me, “Matt Luke made a quick connection with Broderick and I think he m

Posted Images

Such a strange recruiting cycle. 

The ESPNU guys think Evans commits to Tennessee tomorrow.

That would suck. Do not want to face that kid. Was really hoping he goes JUCO or to something like Ole Miss or Arkansas if he’s going to stay in the SEC.

And Burch still hasn’t sent in a LOI.  Just a weird situation. 

2 minutes ago, Beef said:

Such a strange recruiting cycle. 

The ESPNU guys think Evans commits to Tennessee tomorrow.

That would suck. Do not want to face that kid. Was really hoping he goes JUCO or to something like Ole Miss or Arkansas if he’s going to stay in the SEC.

And Burch still hasn’t sent in a LOI.  Just a weird situation. 

Never listened to ESPN regarding inside information and nobody knows what Evans is doing or where he’s going. Anyone who says they know are lying 

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

Never listened to ESPN regarding inside information and nobody knows what Evans is doing or where he’s going. Anyone who says they know are lying 

yep agreed.. ESPN is horrible.. right now no one has a clue what Evans is doing.. if he commits to the vols i could care less.. he is so very talented, but on a team like that with no leaders he will be a big cancer.  regarding espn i wish the 247 composite would remove their rankings from the equation.  the fact that we are #1 in every other service except for espn is ridiculous. 

Trent Smallwood closing notes on 2020 stuff with things you might not know...

Today is the day that we flip the pages to the class of 2021. Before we do that, here are some things you might not have heard that went on behind the scenes.

- Georgia made a run at Bryce Young right before the Early Signing Day period. I talked with Andrew Bone and Young's dad admitted that the Bulldogs came after him hard late. I was told by a source that saw Young's name badge when he was "supposedly" in Athens for an official visit. The Young family denied visiting. Either way, there was some noise on this the weekend before Early Signing Day but the five-star quarterback from California signed with the Tide. 

- There are not many people that realize how close Georgia was to pulling off the upset for Noah Sewell. Over the summer into his official visit for the Notre Dame game in September, the Bulldogs led over Oregon and it seemed at the time would be the destination spot for the Utah linebacker. There was no other team in it and that is why I told you all this was strictly a two team race throughout. I believe that period from September to late November is what decided this decision. The momentum of Oregon reeling off 9 victories in a row and being able to get on campus a couple of times while not being able to get in Athens really decided this one. I will be honest, it would be tough not being a Duck with my brother but it shows just how good Dan Lanning and Glenn Schumann are at this recruiting thing. 

- Back in the summer, Andy Boykin was dead set on flipping his commitment to Georgia from Auburn. When he backed off from the Tigers, he planned on announcing his pledge to the Bulldogs two weeks following. I never heard anything else on him until I saw he announced he was signing for Arkansas. That was a weird situation, but seemed like the Bulldogs were not ready to take his commitment at that time. Glad he landed on his feet in the SEC with Sam Pittman. 

- I am expecting Zach Evans to announce his commitment to Ole Miss very soon. Another component of this weird recruitment was three-star offensive tackle Brady Ward. Anyone taking Evans needed to take Ward as well because they are a package deal. I do not know how, do not know why, but I was notified months ago about this. I was told Georgia was going to try and bring him in as a preferred walk-on before deciding to part ways with Evans. Alabama would not take Ward either, but I saw he announced his commitment to Ole Miss yesterday. I am expecting Evans to join the Rebels as well. How a Texas running back and Alabama offensive tackle are a package deal I have yet to figure it out, but I can assure you that this is true. 

- Was told that Sedrick Van Pran actually was the second guy to send his LOI in yesterday. Of course Georgia held it until he made it public. This commitment was never in jeopardy and I told you all that following my conversation with him in Orlando. Matt Luke did a great job here, but Van Pran just loves the Bulldogs and was dead set on coming to Athens.

- This is not only a great class from an "star" standpoint, but there are some outstanding kids in this class. Kendall Milton and Mekhail Sherman are two great young men who will give their all for this University over the next three years. I was really impressed with both Marcus Rosemy and Arian Smith. Both are well spoken but just want to work. Of course you have Tate Ratledge who is just a good ole country boy that will put you on your tail. Broderick Jones is an outstanding kid, just does not talk much. Same with Daijun Edwards. Jalen Kimber, another outstanding kid. Kelee Ringo, outstanding kid. Jermaine Burton, outstanding kid. The list goes on in this class. These are just some of the kids that I was able to get to know throughout this recruiting process and these kids are just hungry to play football and come from great families. 

- Let's get to 2021. Hope to have a class prediction up in next couple of weeks. I am expecting a few commits to jump on board around then as well.

54 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Not that this is much of a surprise but it’s at least official 

yep this was expected.. taking 7 oline didn't help, but we have guys higher on our board.. i think we take 1 less interior guy due to the 7 oline we just took. 

- I am expecting Zach Evans to announce his commitment to Ole Miss very soon. Another component of this weird recruitment was three-star offensive tackle Brady Ward. Anyone taking Evans needed to take Ward as well because they are a package deal. I do not know how, do not know why, but I was notified months ago about this. I was told Georgia was going to try and bring him in as a preferred walk-on before deciding to part ways with Evans. Alabama would not take Ward either, but I saw he announced his commitment to Ole Miss yesterday. I am expecting Evans to join the Rebels as well. How a Texas running back and Alabama offensive tackle are a package deal I have yet to figure it out, but I can assure you that this is true. 

This feels a somehow wildly appropriate way to close out this recruitment... :lol: Love Smallwood's commentary here, as I too would be baffled in his shoes by a package deal for 2 kids from different areas.

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah since UGA class complete, the only thing to look forward to now is Zach in Oxford on the Lane Train followed by a quick hard meltdown on VolNation.

evans at ole miss is terrific for lane.  a great start for him.. can you imagine him with those qbs and lane's offense?  will be a fun offense to see. 

great breakdown of the 2020 class by hholland. 

Each year I watch the film on these guys and hear things about them and tell y’all what I think of their potential as a player at UGA. Let’s get to it.

Kelee Ringo - stallion. They didn’t wanna look his way in the All Star game. They don’t look his way in HS. He rarely ever gets beat off the line and his closing speed is so freaky that it almost don’t matter if he does get beat. I really like Elias Ricks and he’s gonna blow it up at LSU, but Ringo is the top CB this class. Richard Sherman size with legit 4.3 speed and physical. Will be starting by his sophomore year.

Broderick Jones - Upside, upside, upside. He hasn’t tapped into his full potential at all, but has shown why he is so coveted. Lean and long and athletic, almost looks like a thick TE in pads. I’m not so sure he takes that LT job with him not being an EE, but when the light comes on it’s gonna be hard to keep him off the field.

Jalen Carter - May be my favorite player in this class. He’s a bull. His game isn’t refined at Bresee, but he is stronger imo. Was a force at Under Armour and had a fantastic season his senior year. 12 sacks this year. Someone is about to lose a lot of PT at DT. Will see a lot of him in 2020 barring injury.

Darnell Washington - It gets lost in the fray about landing him bc he wasn’t as fluid or as in shape as he was during his senior season and camp circuit. Not really concerned about it tbh. Freaky size and athleticism. I would prefer him at DE, but this is where he wants to be. Should make a pretty early impact, but McKitty will likely start in 2020. I prefer Gilbert a little, but DW can be big for UGA if he buckled down.

Mekhail Sherman - Locker room leader. Handled his recruitment the right way. True 4.5 guy at 235 lbs when healthy. Prolly doesn’t have true flexibility all the way back yet and that affects in his own confidence but he should be good for UGA. Had a better game than practice at UA game. May be his soph year, but will see plenty of time at OLB.

Tate Ratledge - He was a major priority in this process, grew up UTk fan and Bama made it interesting early. I think he’s a RT all the way. He may Damn near 6’7 actually. Don’t shoot me, but reminds me a little of Cade Mays maybe a little better technique. Strong as an ox.

Kendall Milton - Sites dropping his ranking after his best season as a RB is mind blowing. Film looks so much better as a senior. Not too worried about his speed, he has great balance and can get skinny for a big guy. Nice vision. Great attitude. Will see a lot of snaps at UGA.

Marcus Rosemy - Most polished WR in UGA class. Game reminds me of Riley Ridley, not as strong but just as fast. Great hands. Nagging injury at UA game. Will see a lot of snaps at UGA.

Arian Smith - Speed. Have to work on his routes, but his hands have improved. Excited for his development and he has been a priority since April. Ppl don’t talk about his size enough when they make the Meco comp, dude is legit 6’1 maybe 2. Quiet kid. Staff was excited about this one.

Sedrick Van Pran - 90% of places he could start day one. His game is that refined. I’d put him at center, but could play guard. He’s a dog. Will be GREAT for UGA...

Jermaine Burton - Probably my favorite WR this class. Crisp routes, elite speed, good hands. Biggest flip this cycle. Get excited about this one boys. Talent is there I’m telling you.

Jalen Kimber - Solid. At first I thought he was a rich mans Tyrique McGhee but I think there’s more to him than that. Not ideal size, but VERY fast and good cover skills. Bringing in studs at DB so will see where he shakes out in the depth chart these next few years.

Major Burns - Love his size. Great kid and attitude. LSU regrets letting him go after a few surprising whiffs on ESD. Versatile and strikes when he his hits. Ppl that’s seen him play thinks he’s a helluva player. Wish we coulda saw at All America game but glad he’s healthy and on campus right now.

Chad Lindberg - One of the more underrated guys this class. Huge dude. He may be RT too but will probably play Guard at UGA. Was very good at Under Armour. Big nasty.

Carson Beck - rough year but not all his fault. Athletic and big and has a strong arm but accuracy is a concern. Will be tough for him to beat out Vandagriff imo. Great mindset tho and wants to compete.

Nazir Stackhouse - had a great senior season. A lot of his stats were compiled in a few games tho. Solid player and the way UGA rotates on the DL will see plenty of minutes at UGA when the time comes.

Justin Robinson - BIG guy... and explosive. Looked great on film this year. I don’t understand his ranking? Don’t like size and athleticism and good hands? Injured during camp season but UGA prioritized him early, only guy on campus at a few points and sat with Kirby an entire bball game. It was over early. Great kid. Doing well already, hope he blows it up bc the potential is there.

Warren Brinson - Productive guy at IMG. UF really thought they had him right before announcing. He’s not gonna wow anyone when compared to guys like Dexter and Carter, but he’s a good depth piece and has nice technique. Good frame too. Good that he’s an EE.

Daijun Edwards - Dell loves him. Not elite speed. Great balance. Good vision. Good ball skills. Really quiet, is gonna go to work. May be a guy like Herrien for us. Like I said, Dell liked him pretty close to as much as Tank. Always been a backup plan for Evans. For whatever reason, the preference was him over Gibbs and our staff evaluated Gibbs in person more than once...

Austin Blaske - underrated. Guy may see key time at UGA before it’s all said and don’t. Strong and can move. Pretty raw but interesting guy here and have heard good things since he signed with us.

Daran Branch - Most ppl wasn’t too excited when we flipped him, but his film shows reason to be excited. Good size and a striker, may end up at Safety or Star. Close friend is a Miami guy, he was fired up about him being a Cane before flipping to Ole Miss. Said “can for sure play for UGA. Way better than Speed, Brini, probably Poole and some more guys UGA has took at DB”

Devon Willock - Huge human. Pittman almost pulled the trigger on an offer back in the spring and early summer. Will see how he develops.

Ladd McConkey - Playmaker, will see if he can pack on the weight. Monken may find ways to use him. Crisp routes and great hands. Size is concerning but he may better than expected.

Cameron Kittie - he’s a project and will start on the OL but may end up on the DL. Good size for either position and decent film on both. Will see if he sees time here.

Jared Zirkel - can boom.

Feel free to discuss yall’s opinion on them too.

Death, taxes, and Kirby recruiting.

A friend of mine argued with me about all the talent Kirby is stockpiling. And stated how Kirby better start winning titles in the next few years. I agreed with him. But I gave him some other things to think about.

I said, in many ways, Kirby is a prisoner of his own success. Remember Nick Saban didn't play for his first National Championship until being a head coach for nearly 8 years!! Dabo Swinney took 8 years to play for his first National Championship (which he lost by the way).

Kirby Smart got there in his second year after going 8-5 his first!

Let that sink in for a second.

You've got well-oiled, well-established programs that have a longer tradition of stable and productive championship pedigree, i.e., Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, etc. And while UGA has been successful, I'd place the overall program's success slightly below the aforementioned programs in terms of sustained eliteness.

And while I get the impatience of the fan base (count me in that number), I have to be pragmatic too. Sustained greatness often takes time. Five years is really just the beginning mark. And as we saw with both Nick and Dabo that's still 3 years ahead of the curve!

I see what Kirby has learned and is not implementing. He sees having great recruiters but not necessarily having great developers is no short cut or recipe for sustained success. He sees there are flaws with the "Old Bama Way." And he's becoming his "own person" in the coaching ranks! I love the speech he gave. It was a reckoning of sorts! I truly believe he sees the light coming on.

Now let's see how it turns out. I'm willing to wait at least two more years and possibly 3 to see our next National Championship because that's probably going to be how long it takes (barring catching lightning in a bottle like LSU did this year) before we see one! So let the trolls and haters do what they do! We got the best thing going top to bottom (in my humble opinion) in the entire SEC!!

Go Dawgs!!

7 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Kelee Ringo - stallion. They didn’t wanna look his way in the All Star game

Im thinking this guy gets the Campbell treatment of every chance to start. Probably at Campbell position to push them both? That would be so Kirby.

Ringo is one stout/lean CB.

Any chance one of these wideouts can pump the return game? Im sure they all did in HS but realistically?

9 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Guys Ladd is going to have to put on 20+lbs of bulk before he plays. He's in the 150-160 range right now.

Yep I agree. People like to compare him to Edelman and I think that’s fair as an early projection, but Edelman has played at 190-200 lbs ever since college. Got to carry enough mass and be strong enough to not only take the hits but avoid getting pushed around by those DBs and LBs he will have to deal with across the middle of the field.

Ringo might be the only freshman they put out there as a return man in 2020 imo. I wouldn’t trust McConkey to do anything more than fair catch as a freshman. He certainly has potential fielding punts but like you said he will need to add weight.

19 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yep I agree. People like to compare him to Edelman and I think that’s fair as an early projection, but Edelman has played at 190-200 lbs ever since college. Got to carry enough mass and be strong enough to not only take the hits but avoid getting pushed around by those DBs and LBs he will have to deal with across the middle of the field.

Ringo might be the only freshman they put out there as a return man in 2020 imo. I wouldn’t trust McConkey to do anything more than fair catch as a freshman. He certainly has potential fielding punts but like you said he will need to add weight.

I don't think folks realize exactly how big these guys are. Even the "small" DB's and WR's. There are typically only a handful of freshmen that show up and are physically ready to play. We might have 7-8 guys who are ready to go and that's because several will have gone through winter workouts and spring practices. Ringo, Washington, Carter, Robinson, Rosemy, and Milton might be the only ones truly ready. Ratledge and Van Pran could both probably hang but they'll probably tell you they could use some time after they get a look and some reps against guys like Davis, Walker, and Ojulari.