Carter

February 2020 UGA Recruiting Thread - National Signing Day edition

550 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Beef said:

Campbell has elite size and speed, and he is going to have a stellar year if he stays healthy.  Kid was a 5* for a reason.  Even if he goes 2nd or 3rd day, he's likely gone because his family is pretty poor, is what I believe I've heard.

Who mentioned that his family is poor? Tyson’s family is far from poor. They are your classic middle class family 

Tyson Campbell, I cant see him being any lower than a 2nd rounder...length and burst are elite. All I’ve seen negative from him is a little grabby on beer routes. I do think, though, he’d be a better zone corner than man vs nfl speed. I’d like to see him at robber/free safety...maybe way off base but I do think he’s an elite read and react downhill guy. Could be an absolute weapon with lecounte at strong. Won’t happen, but I’d love to see it. I’m confident Ben Cleveland can be the best run blocking guard in the draft eligible pool if he wants...but even more confident in tc. I’d have to hear some real convincing not to be high on him. 
speaking of corners and dbs...my god. Tc, Lcine, lecounte, Daniel, stevenson, Kellee...I mean...where the **** are you gonna throw? Kimber can physically mirror anyone in ncaa and might not see the field? Come on...such a fun time to be a dawg.

Honestly think sack and pressures could very well double for us vs last year with 1) those dbs forcing progression reads and holding the ball 2) our elite edge guys and the 3) very good chance that we could be forcing teams to air it out to catch up with our offensive changes

Wardog357 and L.A.Falcon Fan like this

5 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

....and you left off our best corner, Stokes!

our secondary is gonna be straight nasty this year

starters:

Cornerback - Eric Stokes

Cornerback - Tyson Campbell   (main backup:   Kelee Ringo)

Free Safety:  Richard LeCounte   

Strong Safety: Lewis Cine   

Nickel/Star:  Tyrique Stevenson  ( main backup:  Mark Webb / Divaad Wilson)

Is there a better returning secondary in the Power5 conferences than those 5?

it looks to me if Kirbster can close on James Williams and a few top corners next year to go along with what we have now at UGA - that the Dawgs is gonna crash the LSU/OhioSt/UF party on DBU.

sdogg likes this

53 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

our secondary is gonna be straight nasty this year

starters:

Cornerback - Eric Stokes

Cornerback - Tyson Campbell   (main backup:   Kelee Ringo)

Free Safety:  Richard LeCounte   

Strong Safety: Lewis Cine   

Nickel/Star:  Tyrique Stevenson  ( main backup:  Mark Webb / Divaad Wilson)

Is there a better returning secondary in the Power5 conferences than those 5?

I don't see how they keep Ringo off the field even as a freshmen.  Dude looks like an NFL CB already when you watch him.  On top of the size and crazy speed, he's got near flawless technique too, plus he loves to hit and tackle.

Where we're thin is at safety.  I suspect we'll see Webb, Wilson, Speed, Brini, and Poole all cross-training at the safety spots.

Chris Smith is the obvious immediate backup at safety, and he's really good, too.  There's some video out there of him getting right to off-season training and workouts with some pros and at camps, and the dude has bulked up and looks like a freak athlete.

But behind him, there's virtually nobody except Burns, who luckily EE'd, but the dude is skinny and needs a good year or so to bulk up.

That all said, we're crazy deep either way.  I mean any of these guys could step in at CB, Star, or Safety and we'd probably not miss a beat.  We could have 3-4 injuries and even though there would be a noticeable difference, it would still be a top tier secondary in college football.  Which is just crazy awesome to consider.

16 minutes ago, Beef said:

I don't see how they keep Ringo off the field even as a freshmen.  Dude looks like an NFL CB already when you watch him.  On top of the size and crazy speed, he's got near flawless technique too, plus he loves to hit and tackle.

Where we're thin is at safety.  I suspect we'll see Webb, Wilson, Speed, Brini, and Poole all cross-training at the safety spots.

Chris Smith is the obvious immediate backup at safety, and he's really good, too.  There's some video out there of him getting right to off-season training and workouts with some pros and at camps, and the dude has bulked up and looks like a freak athlete.

But behind him, there's virtually nobody except Burns, who luckily EE'd, but the dude is skinny and needs a good year or so to bulk up.

That all said, we're crazy deep either way.  I mean any of these guys could step in at CB, Star, or Safety and we'd probably not miss a beat.  We could have 3-4 injuries and even though there would be a noticeable difference, it would still be a top tier secondary in college football.  Which is just crazy awesome to consider.

You know Kelee will play but Stokes/Campbell are likely at least 2nd/3rd rounders with 2+ years experience as starters.   As great as Ringo is, he's not walking into a starting spot - Campbell did but that was because we didn't have anyone legit opposite Baker.

Beef likes this

2 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Yea he will likely just crush Daniels hopes as next man up- 

Daniels crushed his own hopes with all his grabbing 

Beef likes this

mlockwood123
Posted on 14 hrs, , User Since 94 months ago, User Post Count: 0
  • 14 hrs
  • 94 months

Found myself looking at the all time recruits list and got lost in the minutiae. Kirby is responsible for 23 out of 50 of UGA’s all time 5 stars! With the earliest 5 star in Albert Hollis dating back to the 2000 class, in 16 years before Kirby’s arrival, we’d signed 27 total five stars. 23 five stars in 5 years is crazy and puts things even more so into perspective. Transfers aside, this alone should put to bed the Richt/Kirby comparisons. Kirby can’t help but literally stumble his way into a few championships if he continues to recruit on this level

18 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

Daniels crushed his own hopes with all his grabbing 

Look for Daniels to possibly move back to play some safety this year 

g-dawg likes this

2 hours ago, 95Dawg said:
mlockwood123
Posted on 14 hrs, , User Since 94 months ago, User Post Count: 0
  • 14 hrs
  • 94 months

Found myself looking at the all time recruits list and got lost in the minutiae. Kirby is responsible for 23 out of 50 of UGA’s all time 5 stars! With the earliest 5 star in Albert Hollis dating back to the 2000 class, in 16 years before Kirby’s arrival, we’d signed 27 total five stars. 23 five stars in 5 years is crazy and puts things even more so into perspective. Transfers aside, this alone should put to bed the Richt/Kirby comparisons. Kirby can’t help but literally stumble his way into a few championships if he continues to recruit on this level

Debbie Downer says "and still no national championship."

We need to figure out a way to translate this into championships and stay there. If Clemson can do it, there's absolutely no reason why we can't.

Wardog357, sdogg and L.A.Falcon Fan like this

4 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Debbie Downer says "and still no national championship."

We need to figure out a way to translate this into championships and stay there. If Clemson can do it, there's absolutely no reason why we can't.

I agree.   For my whole life (56 years) Clemscum has been our beotch.   If you look at the head to head record, its not even close. 42-18-4.   They are on a roll now and to their credit they have recruited very well, but they are taking advantage of Miami, FSU, UNC, and VT being down for the past few years.   With that situation, they are given an  almost automatic berth in the playoffs every year.  Get to be one of the 4 every year and you are gonna win a few Nattys.   I have a feeling that we will win 2 of the next 4 championships starting with 2020.   Newman outduels Lawrence in the Championship game and Dawgs back on top!

sdogg, SacFalcFan, LawDawg and 3 others like this

5 hours ago, 007dawg said:

I agree.   For my whole life (56 years) Clemscum has been our beotch.   If you look at the head to head record, its not even close. 42-18-4.   They are on a roll now and to their credit they have recruited very well, but they are taking advantage of Miami, FSU, UNC, and VT being down for the past few years.   With that situation, they are given an  almost automatic berth in the playoffs every year.  Get to be one of the 4 every year and you are gonna win a few Nattys.   I have a feeling that we will win 2 of the next 4 championships starting with 2020.   Newman outduels Lawrence in the Championship game and Dawgs back on top!

I like the way you think brother!

007dawg likes this