Carter

February 2020 UGA Recruiting Thread - National Signing Day edition

550 posts in this topic

Well it’s a new month, so we get us a new thread. :D We should have a busy week of posting here and then it’s probably gonna die off with the recruiting dead period after NSD going into March.

Not too much drama heading into NSD. Not totally sure how many we will take since none of them will be added to the scholarship numbers until summer, except for the early enrollees, and we always seem to take one or two more than we thought we could.

We should have no issues with our unsigned commitments (Broderick Jones, Sedrick Van Pran, Daijun Edwards)... beyond that, not totally sure. Ladd McConkey might be the next safe bet. Appears Bell (no offer) and Lundy might be headed elsewhere. We shall see.

Go Dawgs! I just wanna ****in eat! HBTFD!

sdogg, g-dawg, AutumnEffect and 5 others like this

Great way to start the 2020 february thread.. our midnight meeting ended and no visit for Broderick Jones to auburn.. no OV.. lololol.  

Just now, SacFalcFan said:

Great way to start the 2020 february thread.. our midnight meeting ended and no visit for Broderick Jones to auburn.. no OV.. lololol.  

Some Auburn folks seem to think he could still show up some time today or tomorrow, but don't know if that's true yet.  On the Rant/AU someone said he's supposedly bringing his mother to the AU basketball game tonight.

Trent Smallwood article on Mekhail Sherman. Me likey. ^_^

ORLANDO - Rivals100 linebacker 

Mekhail Sherman made his decision in the spring of 2019 to commit to the University of Georgia. In late December, he explained what it meant for his signing to finally be official. 

“Stress free. I already knew where I was headed to next. It's easy to sleep at night, because my dream is playing at the Georgia football field and in that stadium," Sherman told UGASports. "I've been knowing this ever since I committed in May.”

Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning played a big role in landing the No. 39 nationally-rated prospect.

“Great coach, great friend, great father figure. I like him a lot, and he's a reason why I chose that school," Sherman said. "That's the type of person when he was talking to me throughout the years and recruiting me, I would go to war with him. That's part of the football game, and that's what I like him for.” 

Sherman explained that his process was over in May, and other schools knew that. 

“No, and I didn't want them either," Sherman said, affirming that other programs stopped pursuing him. "They already knew my attitude. When I was going to commit and my family was going to commit, it was going to be shutdown. There was no reason for anyone to come peek their head in. Of course, Maryland did, because that's the hometown school, but at the same time, there's no need for all that, because I feel like my future is going to peak at Georgia.”

We asked Sherman what type of player the Bulldogs were getting when he arrived in Athens. 

“Being a four-down back. Making myself more valuable and more versatile. Just doing whatever I have to do to be a contributor to the team so I'll do whatever I have to do," Sherman said. "If I have to play up on first and second down, I can do that, if they want me to blitz on 3rd down, I can do that as well.”

Sherman was hesitant to name his strongest feature. 

“I'm a raw talent. I don't think any of my abilities are the best abilities," Sherman said. "I feel like I can work on everything. I haven't really reached my peak yet, so that's why I call myself raw. I cannot really tell you what my best ability is.”

The No. 2 rated prospect in the Washington D.C. area discussed the rest of his signing class.

“Zoned in. We want to be that class. It was the same thing when I went to St John’s. We were that class that brought a championship to St. Johns. I want to do that at Georgia," Sherman said. “They all want the same thing I want. I'm not the type of person to go to a losing tradition. I want to go somewhere I can win, and everyone has the same mindset. To win. The bridge is built, we just have to cross it.”

There's one particular prospect he's closer to than others.

Kendall Milton. I'm really close with him. We were talking all the way back when he was high on Oklahoma and he was telling me to come there. I told him, ‘Nah bro, I'm not feeling that.' At the same time, I think we already had the mindset that we were going to go somewhere together, because if you have a running back and a linebacker together on different sides but on the same team, you're going to be working on each others' craft. Iron sharpens iron," Sherman said. “He's an alpha. He wants to work, and he wants to be that dude. D’Andre Swift is a guy he admired, and he wants to be that dude, he wants to be in that role. We have a 3rd and short, give it to Milton. We have a 2nd and long, give it to Milton. We have a 1st and 15, give it to Milton. When you want that and want the pressure to be on you like that, automatically you get respect from me.”

What are their goals, coming in as a class?

“We all have individual goals. Mainly everyone’s end goal is going to the NFL. The main goal we all have together is a championship. Like I said, we want to be that class. We want to be that group that came in to Georgia and didn't just shift the culture but helped the culture," Sherman said. "It's already an established culture, but we can help that. We can build on it more, we can make it stronger, basically make it a fortitude. We would love to do that and basically make it a dynasty.” 

Sherman looks at the LSU loss in the SEC Championship as a positive moving forward.

“I'm going to be honest with you, I was not complaining when we lost to LSU. It makes the team that much more hungry. It makes the team want to work that much harder in the off-season. It brings out the best in you," Sherman said. "When you're winning consistently, it is kind of hard to have that hunger when you're already being fed every day. When you're not getting fed by not going to the playoffs, you starve, and I like that starvation that Georgia is in. I want to help get them get fed.”

https://uga.rivals.com/news/linebacker-signee-mekhail-sherman-wants-to-eat

4 minutes ago, Beef said:

Some Auburn folks seem to think he could still show up some time today or tomorrow, but don't know if that's true yet.  On the Rant/AU someone said he's supposedly bringing his mother to the AU basketball game tonight.

yeah he might show up, but doesn't matter.. they know it's done.. no OV, it will just be an unofficial which is completely different in what they can and can't do for him and his family. 

4 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yeah he might show up, but doesn't matter.. they know it's done.. no OV, it will just be an unofficial which is completely different in what they can and can't do for him and his family. 

Does an official have to start at a specific time?  Can't he show up there this afternoon and begin an official visit?  Wasn't he supposed to stay overnight from Friday night through Sunday day?  Couldn't he just start this afternoon and stay through tomorrow?  Or am I missing something?

“I'm a raw talent. I don't think any of my abilities are the best abilities," Sherman said. "I feel like I can work on everything. I haven't really reached my peak yet, so that's why I call myself raw. I cannot really tell you what my best ability is.”

Just him saying that has made him my favorite recruit in this entire class

Watched Pryors film thought he was the best back in 2021, very fast but elusiveness more impressive. Be fine w just him- thought he looks more impressive than Evans 

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Evan Pryor is at UGA today. HUGE target for us in 2021. Guy runs an under 4.4 forty. You read that correct, under. And a 10.5 100 meters. 

Give me Brown and Pryor at RB, and you can keep Shipley. 

Yeah we are going after Pryor very hard. I would be happy with Brown and Pryor. Been hearing the Michigan kid, Donovan Edwards, is #1 on our RB board for 2021 right now. Gonna be hard to pull him away from Michigan or Ohio State imo since he’s from there and they both have playing time to sell at his spot.

RB is very deep next year.

From Chad Simmons:

Talking to sources throughout the day today, it is clear Matt Luke “KILLED IT” with Jones.

One source told me, “Matt Luke made a quick connection with Broderick and I think he may like him even more than he did Sam Pittman.”

Another told me a few minutes ago: “Matt Luke killed it with Broderick. He was very personable and the two just hit it off. Broderick decided Friday morning that he wasn’t going to visit Auburn, and I think he really knew that last weekend when he left his official visit to UGA.”

One of the sources mentioned Dell McGee too, and said he played a role in this as well.

Looks like Luke is off a good start in Athens.

Let me just say that it so amazing that we lost Sam mother ******* Pittman, and the only OL recruit we lost was Braun, and, not only that, we appear to have not lost any significant (if any) ground with our 2021 GA OL recruits

We lost the one recruiter who everyone said we absolutely could not lose, and didn't miss a beat.

That is some **** impressive recruiting, as well as some **** impressive hiring by Kirby

Dell is our designated hitter. I remember when people considered him to be Kirby’s most questionable original hire. Turned out to be the best. Hope he’s here forever, because I think he would absolutely tear it up as the head man at Auburn. 

FalconsIn2012 and g-dawg like this

55 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Let me just say that it so amazing that we lost Sam mother ******* Pittman, and the only OL recruit we lost was Braun, and, not only that, we appear to have not lost any significant (if any) ground with our 2021 GA OL recruits

We lost the one recruiter who everyone said we absolutely could not lose, and didn't miss a beat.

That is some **** impressive recruiting, as well as some **** impressive hiring by Kirby

So true.  I thought the Pittman loss was going to set us back a good bit with our Ol recruiting.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, Lennon said:

Dell is our designated hitter. I remember when people considered him to be Kirby’s most questionable original hire. Turned out to be the best. Hope he’s here forever, because I think he would absolutely tear it up as the head man at Auburn. 

I remember questioning the Dell McGee hire.  I remember looking at his resume’ and thinking it was thin and unimpressive.

I will never doubt Kirby again on coaching hires.   

mike teevee likes this

18 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Rusty tease

filmed commitment video that is going to freak us out

also at the same time as a membership push

hmm

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mansell247/status/1223751627749961729?s=20

I don't think I've ever seen Rusty himself film a commitment video for a kid that wasn't from GA

I'll be surprised if this isn't Amarius Mims

Just now, Carter said:

Are we sure it’s not a kicker?

Rusty still gets **** for his "big July" a couple years back

and people wonder why we refrains from calling things big or getting excited very often, because when he does, and he's wrong, he never lives it down lol

Carter and 95Dawg like this

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

Are we sure it’s not a kicker?

He actually came out and said it’s not a punter this time

lol

Carter likes this

50 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

Is it the video that’ll freak us out or the person committing? 

:lol:

Some people think the DB Williams and others Mims. Both 2021. Hopefully it doesn’t matter in the end and both end up Dawgs.