Rico had shoulder surgery

CADirtyBird

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/30/ricardo-allen-had-shoulder-surgery/

Falcons safety Ricardo Allen bounced back from a torn Achilles to play in all 16 games during the 2019 season, but he wasn’t 100 percent by the time the year came to an end.

Jason Butt of TheAthletic.com reports that Allen had shoulder surgery recently. Allen had pain in his shoulder over the final weeks of the season and the decision to have surgery was made after he went to doctors when the year was out.

Allen is expected to need multiple months of rehab, so his availability for the offseason program could be compromised.

Allen had 84 tackles, four tackles for loss and two interceptions during the 2019 season. He’s under contract through the 2021 season.

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

Sure, but this is expected to take several months to heal & rehab... which could mean he sits out a large chunk of the offseason stuff once again this year.

What were the options for this situation?

He played through pain until the end of the season... 

Are you saying they took too long to actually have the surgery?

5 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Can’t  believe this is just now coming out 

It wasn’t necessarily a secret.  Anyone who follows him and his wife on social media(I don’t but my wife does and told me) would know he had this about a week or so ago.  Reason she posted about it was because on flight back from his surgery the plane had an issue(smoke coming from plane or something) and they had to turn around for emergency landing.   Apparently a pretty scary event and when they landed they said forget getting on another plane and rented a car and drove back.  This was a couple days before the Kobe incident.  Crazy world.

14 hours ago, Dukeduke211 said:

What were the options for this situation?

He played through pain until the end of the season... 

Are you saying they took too long to actually have the surgery?

I’m not saying anything. Just pointing out to the poster I quoted why some folks may be concerned about this particular situation vs the idea that players regularly have surgery after the season.