Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ya_boi_j

30 for 30: Michael Vick

Don’t get me wrong, it is fantastic having Matt Ryan, I don’t get into all the talk about if he’s elite or not because to me he absolutely is. Deserved to beat the Patriots and if he had a defense in 2012 that could have held up against the Niners, I believe he would have stomped the Ravens with public enemy number 1 DK calling plays.

But for me at least, I wonder time to time what we could have been if he had the same effort and drive he had with the Eagles. He was electric and fun to watch.

But you got to hive it to him, he did wrong, did his time and from what we can see on the outside, was a strong and good enough person to turn it around and get right. A lot of respect for someone like that.

11 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Good post. I also was a fan and then disgusted.

But his story since he left Leavenworth is what fascinates me the most. Not many convicted felons are given anything close to that opportunity....and even fewer take advantage of whatever opp they are given ...like he has. I respect him more for that part of his life than anything he did on the football field.

I think that really has to do with Vick not really being a criminal.

Yeah he did commit a bad crime, but he's more of a usually law abiding person who just steered towards a wrong act than a complete criminal, so it was really easy for him to make such a successful transition back positive progressions.

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

Got into Hokies football because of him, just watching him dominate games in college. Watching the FSU bowl game, was so stoked when the Falcons traded up to get him. Such fun to watch was a huge fan LOL so was my daughter and nephew( he would always be the Falcons on Madden cause he loved watching VIck). LOL my daughter wore her #7 jersey to school alot LOL.

Yeah I mean what are the odds he plays at my school and my nfl team. With the first pik overall. I was at the super dome for the national championship. I figured it would be our only shot. He was a wild ride and changed the game. It all started with a backflip into the end zone st the JMU game. 

Other side of the trade... Chargers drafted not one but two Hall of Famers...

Atlanta sent the 5th overall pick, a 2001 third-round pick, a 2002 second-round pick and Tim Dwight to San Diego for the 1st overall pick. With the selection, they made Michael Vick a Falcon. The Chargers took LaDainian Tomlinson, who they had eyes on throughout the entire draft process, with the fifth pick.

Drew Brees was the second quarterback, behind Michael Vick of Virginia Tech, selected in the 2001 Draft, chosen by the San Diego Chargers as the first pick of the second round and 32nd overall.

14 minutes ago, lee sunset said:

Atlanta sent the 5th overall pick, a 2001 third-round pick, a 2002 second-round pick and Tim Dwight to San Diego for the 1st overall pick. With the selection, they made Michael Vick a Falcon. The Chargers took LaDainian Tomlinson, who they had eyes on throughout the entire draft process, with the fifth pick.

Drew Brees was the second quarterback, behind Michael Vick of Virginia Tech, selected in the 2001 Draft, chosen by the San Diego Chargers as the first pick of the second round and 32nd overall.

It's weird because the Falcons were being hyped to make those same picks but traded out. 

Meanwhile the chargers didn't keep Brees. Which I still find strange, though Rivers was a decent comp.

Takeaways from the first segment:

1.  Vick grew up rough, REALLY rough.

2.  Vick was generous to a fault with his friends.

3.  Dan Reeves said he was fired DIRECTLY because of the injury Vick sustained in that preseason game.  The losing streak had nothing to do with it.

4.  Dan Reeves said that his only career regret was not being able to coach Vick for a long time.

5.  D.J. Shockley said the Falcon coaches ( Mora, Knapp) were afraid to coach up Vick out of fear of getting fired. Vick was VERY arrogant during the 2006 season. Shockley said Vick didn't prepare for games.

6. Jim Mora Jr. admitted he failed Vick as a coach.

7.  Dan Reeves personally had called one of his "friends" and told him to stay away from Vick to no avail.

Edited by Spts1

2 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Takeaways from the first segment:

1.  Vick grew up rough, REALLY rough.

2.  Vick was generous to a fault with his friends.

3.  Dan Reeves said he was fired DIRECTLY because of the injury Vick sustained in that preseason game.  The losing streak had nothing to do with it.

4.  Dan Reeves said that his only career regret was not being able to coach Vick for a long time.

5.  D.J. Shockley said the Falcon coaches ( Mora, Knapp) were afraid to coach up Vick out of fear of getting fired. Vick was VERY arrogant during the 2006 season. Shockley said Vick didn't prepare for games.

6. Jim Mora Jr. admitted he failed Vick as a coach.

It’s a shame Vick didn’t have a father figure in his life growing up. It really showed in how ignorantly loyal he was to idiot friends 

13 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It’s a shame Vick didn’t have a father figure in his life growing up. It really showed in how ignorantly loyal he was to idiot friends 

He didn't have one until Reeves.  I added the part to my post where Reeves said he personally called one of Vick's "friends" and told him to stay away from Vick to no avail.  The moment Reeves was let go from the Falcons, that was the end of Vick's career in Atlanta.  Its a shame...

Edited by Spts1

30 minutes ago, Jesus said:

It's weird because the Falcons were being hyped to make those same picks but traded out. 

Meanwhile the chargers didn't keep Brees. Which I still find strange, though Rivers was a decent comp.

Chargers drafted Rivers(really Eli and swapped for Rivers) because their GM at the time AJ Smith wasn't enamored with Brees. Schottenheimer loved Brees and wanted him as the starting QB.

AJ Smith and Schottenheimer bumped heads and it started a feud between the two in which Chargers owner Spanos sided with Smith.

Brees got hurt with a thought to be at the time a potential career ending shoulder injury, which also made it even easier for Smith and the Chargers to cut bait with Brees in favor of Rivers. 

5 hours ago, lee sunset said:

Drew Brees was the second quarterback, behind Michael Vick of Virginia Tech, selected in the 2001 Draft, chosen by the San Diego Chargers as the first pick of the second round and 32nd overal

How was on he first pick of the 2nd rnd not #33. Someone lose a first that year?

5 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

How was on he first pick of the 2nd rnd not #33. Someone lose a first that year?

Texans didn't start as an expansion team until a year later in 2002. It caused the realignment of the divisions to which they are currently today.

That's what caused the Seahawks to switch conferences from the AFC to the NFC.

22 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The college highlights will be insane.

People forget how fast he was in the NFL.  In college.... it’s unbelievable.

he was just as fast w/ Falcons - it's just the NFL players so much faster than college players.

19 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

Don’t get me wrong, it is fantastic having Matt Ryan, I don’t get into all the talk about if he’s elite or not because to me he absolutely is. Deserved to beat the Patriots and if he had a defense in 2012 that could have held up against the Niners, I believe he would have stomped the Ravens with public enemy number 1 DK calling plays.

But for me at least, I wonder time to time what we could have been if he had the same effort and drive he had with the Eagles. He was electric and fun to watch.

But you got to hive it to him, he did wrong, did his time and from what we can see on the outside, was a strong and good enough person to turn it around and get right. A lot of respect for someone like that.

I don't like the "deserved to beat the Patriots" as, while it was a team loss and a lot of the mistakes weren't his - Matt was the QB - make 1-2 extra plays here and there and we still win.

19 hours ago, Vandy said:

Good post. I also was a fan and then disgusted.

But his story since he left Leavenworth is what fascinates me the most. Not many if any convicted felons are given anything close to that kind of opportunity...and few take advantage of whatever opp they are given ...like he has. I respect him more for that part of his life than anything he did on the football field.

I never wanted the Vick thing in Atlanta to ever happen. I wanted LT to replace Jamal because we badly needed a RB because Jamal wasn't the same guy after he blew out his knee the first time in 99. I was also still partial to Chris Chandler. But Vick's passing skills left a lot to be desired. He came out of college too fast IMO, he wasn't ready for it. But he felt forced to because of his family situation and he couldn't turn down that kind of money. Vick was fun to watch but I never thought the Falcons would ever win anything with him, especially after Mora was hired and let Vick do whatever he wanted. Vick would have been so much better off had we kept Reeves but Vick was part of the reason Reeves got fired. Vick took forever to come back from his broken leg and by the time he decided to come back Blank had already made up his mind about Reeves.

But all that is water under the bridge. I'm proud of the man Vick has become and glad that he made himself into a better person.

21 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I never wanted the Vick thing in Atlanta to ever happen. I wanted LT to replace Jamal because we badly needed a RB because Jamal wasn't the same guy after he blew out his knee the first time in 99. I was also still partial to Chris Chandler. But Vick's passing skills left a lot to be desired. He came out of college too fast IMO, he wasn't ready for it. But he felt forced to because of his family situation and he couldn't turn down that kind of money. Vick was fun to watch but I never thought the Falcons would ever win anything with him, especially after Mora was hired and let Vick do whatever he wanted. Vick would have been so much better off had we kept Reeves but Vick was part of the reason Reeves got fired. Vick took forever to come back from his broken leg and by the time he decided to come back Blank had already made up his mind about Reeves.

But all that is water under the bridge. I'm proud of the man Vick has become and glad that he made himself into a better person.

Another Good post. Reeves was the closest thing MV had to a father figure in ATL. 

Mora/Blank/McKay et al were all enablers. 

57 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't like the "deserved to beat the Patriots" as, while it was a team loss and a lot of the mistakes weren't his - Matt was the QB - make 1-2 extra plays here and there and we still win.

On the blame list for SB51, Matt Ryan is way down come on now.  He really shouldn't even be on the list.

10 minutes ago, athell said:

On the blame list for SB51, Matt Ryan is way down come on now.  He really shouldn't even be on the list.

A lot of things went wrong, the one player that could have made a play to stem all the bad juju was Matt.   I 100% know the playcalls, the missed Freeman block, the Jake penalty, the defense collapse, etc etc but Matt wasn’t a bystander in the process.

45 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That comment says a LOT about your true feelings for Vick.  You sprinkled in some other nuggets to show it but that was the big one...

Just now, g-dawg said:

A lot of things went wrong, the one player that could have made a play to stem all the bad juju was Matt.   I 100% know the playcalls, the missed Freeman block, the Jake penalty, the defense collapse, etc etc but Matt wasn’t a bystander in the process.

He wasn't...I agree with you there, but he did his part.  I'm not even mad at Matt, and not because I am some Matt defender because he has his flaws, but that collapse was a collective crapping of the bed by everyone from the HC down.  Looking back, of course wish he would have said screw this and kneel 3 times and kick the field goal, but who would really do that ya know?

Funny enough I just watched SB51 for the first time since it happened, the other day.  Man it was a great 3 quarters.  Shame.