Welp messed up my shoulder need advice from my Falcon brothers

Xfactor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Used to work in orthopedics (guy with the laser pointer telling the doctor where to put the stuff).  Shoulder surgery is no joke, your going to be out of commission for 6 weeks if they do A,B, or C. 

It sounds to me that the doctor is unsure how much damage was done to the joint and is basically preping you for a total joint.  The recovery time for AB and C are all about the same length so if I was in your shoes I would:

Get a second opinion.  If they are still unsure, just get a total done and get on with your life.  You dont want multiple surgies if option A doesnt work. 

I had surgery on my right labrum, AC joint, and rotator cuff in December 2013. There are lots of other pain drugs not in the morphine family. You'll be fine there. For the first two weeks, you'll likely be house-bound and on painkillers. Follow the doc's instructions. They will save you from unnecessary pain.

The biggest thing to remember is that you MUST REHAB!!!!!!! You'll start to feel better and want to stop rehabbing, but you should keep going. Make it a part of your routine (even if you do it on your own) for at least an entire calendar year. It sounds excessive, but its not. If you don't, you'll never get close to 100% in that shoulder.

10 minutes ago, djbrough said:

I had surgery on my right labrum, AC joint, and rotator cuff in December 2013. There are lots of other pain drugs not in the morphine family. You'll be fine there. For the first two weeks, you'll likely be house-bound and on painkillers. Follow the doc's instructions. They will save you from unnecessary pain.

The biggest thing to remember is that you MUST REHAB!!!!!!! You'll start to feel better and want to stop rehabbing, but you should keep going. Make it a part of your routine (even if you do it on your own) for at least an entire calendar year. It sounds excessive, but its not. If you don't, you'll never get close to 100% in that shoulder.

Thanks for sharing your experience the other problem I’m on a benzo which takes out any opioid painkillers so between morphine and benzodiazepines I feel like I’m screwed. Not worried so much about the surgery as I am the post op pain after the nerve block and once I get home.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Doctors won't tell you about any holistic approaches. Most just know what they were taught.

Because they're not approved by the FDA and there is no clinical trial data to support them, I'm not saying they don't work (CBD almost certainly does work for pain relief), but in this sort of thing go with what the professionals say. Hospitals deal with all sorts of allergies all the time - there are plenty of alternative, approved pain relief drugs out there. As for the surgery itself, only the consultant can say what the best option is.

Orthopedics since 1999, therapist and then implant sales since 2008.

A total shoulder replacement the MD probably found arthritis all in the joint, and you maybe would need one anyway in coming years. If not they should be able to decompress with a scope, usually total shoulder are just for major arthritis, like a total knee replacement. 

Whatever surgery you get, make sure you get full external rotation (washing the back of your hair) and internal rotation (tucking shirt in at back). Those motions will feel painful with passive motion and you will think something is wrong, but don't fight it. Pain will be there until you get motion back so roll with it.

5 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

A total shoulder replacement the MD probably found arthritis all in the joint, and you maybe would need one anyway in coming years. If not they should be able to decompress with a scope, usually total shoulder are just for major arthritis, like a total knee replacement. 

Whatever surgery you get, make sure you get full external rotation (washing the back of your hair) and internal rotation (tucking shirt in at back). Those motions will feel painful with passive motion and you will think something is wrong, but don't fight it. Pain will be there until you get motion back so roll with it.

Great advice.

19 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Because they're not approved by the FDA and there is no clinical trial data to support them, I'm not saying they don't work (CBD almost certainly does work for pain relief), but in this sort of thing go with what the professionals say. Hospitals deal with all sorts of allergies all the time - there are plenty of alternative, approved pain relief drugs out there. As for the surgery itself, only the consultant can say what the best option is.

You can so both. Like you just said, no doc is likely going to mention CBD but it works.

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

You can so both. Like you just said, no doc is likely going to mention CBD but it works.

Some do. I had an aunt that said a doctor recommended. He didn't offer any brands for recommendations though. I told her about the high dosage capsules and she said they helped. I prefer 20 mg or better gummies or capsules. The oil takes a few days to a week to actually kick in and start doing it's job.

But at the same time everyone's body is different. If you've never had it before you definitely want to find the dosage that fits you best. I know people that get extremely relaxed off of half of a 10 mg gummy. 

10 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

CBD works. It's helped my wife immensely during her chemo treatments. Her oncologist is the one who recommended it to her. Like @ya_boi_j and others have said, make sure you get a quality product. 

yup. I would drop a link but I know that's against the rules so I won't cross that line but the company I trust most is CBDmd. They were a sponsor for The Big 3 League this past year. 

3 hours ago, Xfactor said:

I appreciate everyone’s advice I’ve never had this type of injury just wanted to hear from people who unfortunately went through this concerning their recovery, pain and the journey back

just to say a little more about my other comment. I've had two back surgeries on the same spot. Now, the disc below that one and possibly the one below IT all need work. The issue they have with me, is they've already removed 2/3 of that one disc, so fusion and/or 'instrumentation' will be required.

By instrumentation, that's just the fancy name the surgeon uses for plates, screws, rods, etc etc etc. My surgeon told me to do the surgery I need, will require it at multiple levels, and every time they put in anything at all, it raises the risk of 'failure'. 

he told me the failure rate for the type surgery he says I need is get this, 95%....now I ain't the smartest fellar in the world, but I can do simple math.....then he explained by 'failure', that's just their term for 'EVERYTHING' did take and heal correctly. any part of it that doesn't heal and grow back correctly with the hoped for results is deemed 'failure'. Kind of like that one screw in Julio's foot that broke loose.

So God's speed my fellow Falcon fan Brother, hope for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I don't have any specific advice, other than to say listen to this man.

However, I did want to pop in to say if I ever need a shoulder surgery, I will be going to see Xavier Duralde, M.D., at Peachtree Orthopedics.  It will take a while to get in, but he is a phenomenal shoulder surgeon and he has gotten good results for my clients over the years.