Falcons Fan MVP

What do you think the chances are Austin Hooper is still a Falcon in 2020?

59 posts in this topic

What do you think is the likelihood that Austin Hooper will still be a Falcon in 2020? Has Thomas Dimitroff or any of the Falcons players or Front office given you any clues on how big of a priority keeping Hooper is?

Probably 50/50 right now.  I would hate to lose him, though, after Ryan and him put in all that time together in Cali. a couple of seasons ago.  It really seemed to help Hoop a LOT, and he has progressed every season, since!!!  And too, if Hooper were NOT to be signed, that's taking a valuable weapon away from MR2.  It would remind me of Brady losing Gronk (not comparing the two, but...), and we all saw how TB12 looked this past season --- was it because of no Gronk, or just "Father Time" finally catching up with him?  Who knows... 

6 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Our front office is stupid, we are more likely to bring Vic and Freeman back and let Hooper walk cause TD is an idiot

Unless Arthur Blank publicly says "Austin Hooper will be a Falcon for life!" before the contract negotiation. LOL

Doesn't look promising IMO. TD is usually not shy about showing his enthusiasm (or lack thereof) regarding our own players. If they wanted Hoop back, there would have been smoke in that direction, but the opposite has been the case. Right now I'm thinking a 35% chance of keeping Hoop. 

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Doesn't look promising IMO. TD is usually not shy about showing his enthusiasm (or lack thereof) regarding our own players. If they wanted Hoop back, there would have been smoke in that direction, but the opposite has been the case. Right now I'm thinking a 35% chance of keeping Hoop. 

so did you change your name just for this post???

:ninja::lol:

Hoop will stay.  The Falcons FO will or have talked with Matt Ryan before making a decision this big on offense.  Matt would definitely express his desire to keep Hoop.  It has taken this long to get Hoop to this level and no one wants to start that process over.  This offense, as is, has a very high ceiling if the run game is corrected.  By "as is", I assume some of our failed experiments on the OL will be corrected, i.e. no Brown, no Carpenter, no Harlow, no Schweitzer.  Gono needs to move up.  And, some assistant coach needs to step up and do what Chris Morgan is incapable of doing.  OK, getting off track.

Hooper is too important.  The above mentioned OL failures need to be cut to make room for Hoop and some new OL who can actually play in the NFL.  TE is a very critical position for the Falcons.

0 percent he’s in Atlanta unless it’s a great deal for the Falcons. Not for hooper, not for both sides, strictly a team friendly deal and I have no doubt that will not happen.

Julio, Ridley and the emergence of Gage makes Hoop a no go. I’m sure there’s a solid vet TE out there we can get in FA that will not cost near as much as Hoop but that can do just enough in the pass game to help out.

I think TD makes his “tough decisions” this year and finally uses the money gained on the defense. 

No reason an offense with those 3 WRs, a vet TE and what’s hopefully an early round RB can’t dominate.

I like Hooper, but he's not a game changer like the upper tier TE's (the guys in the Super Bowl).  But he will get paid like those guys though, and that alone will make it hard for the Falcons to keep him.  I think he'll get avg $10M per year.  I hope they let him walk. Not because he's not good, but because he will just demand too much on the open market.  I don't see him signing a one sided deal for the Falcons, and I hope we don't pay him like a top TE.  I hope 100% let him walk, but reality is probably 70/30 let him walk.

AlabamaFalconFan likes this

58 minutes ago, 32wood84white said:

0 percent he’s in Atlanta unless it’s a great deal for the Falcons. Not for hooper, not for both sides, strictly a team friendly deal and I have no doubt that will not happen.

Julio, Ridley and the emergence of Gage makes Hoop a no go. I’m sure there’s a solid vet TE out there we can get in FA that will not cost near as much as Hoop but that can do just enough in the pass game to help out.

I think TD makes his “tough decisions” this year and finally uses the money gained on the defense. 

No reason an offense with those 3 WRs, a vet TE and what’s hopefully an early round RB can’t dominate.

There is a lot of really good wide receivers in the draft this year I hear in case we want another weapon.

7 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

What do you think is the likelihood that Austin Hooper will still be a Falcon in 2020? Has Thomas Dimitroff or any of the Falcons players or Front office given you any clues on how big of a priority keeping Hooper is?

I don't know, lets flip a coin.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Td would be out in front talking about a deal if it was a possibility. 

Hooper is a product of the system, he is not worthy of the 10m he will get.

Get our 4th round comp pick, use money on defense, profit. 

20% stay 70% goes 10% who the **** knows

2 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Td would be out in front talking about a deal if it was a possibility. 

Hooper is a product of the system, he is not worthy of the 10m he will get.

Get our 4th round comp pick, use money on defense, profit. 

20% stay 70% goes 10% who the **** knows

Hooper.has been solid in more than one season and was on pace for 100+ receptions  before the injury.

Mid-Nite-Toker and primetime like this