MOCKDRAFT - The Danish Edition 2020

FalconOdense

MY GOAL for this offseason plan:

1. Make an O line that can run the ball when we need to.

2. Make a D line that you cant run against and can attack the QB at any given time

3. I want that bloody Super Bowl

Free Agency:
 - Cut Deconte Freeman 1st of July
 - Cut Brown and Carpenter if possible moneywise.
 - Say goodbye to Beasley,  Campbell
 - Extend Hooper
 - Use the money on LG Brandon Scherff - complete that O line and make it top 5 potential worthy.

- THe remaining amount should be use on cheap vets and the Draft.

DRAFT - BASED on CBS Sports Ranking:

1. Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

• Put him next to Grady Jarrett and consider our DT combo set for the next 5 years. A pure beast.

2a. Terrell Lewis, Edge, Alabama

• Without the injuries he is going in the first round. This guy will be a beast opposite Mckinley

2b Zach Baun, OLB, Wisconsin

- My replacement for Campbell. Undersized, but range to cover tight end. Nice match with Deion.

3 Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

- I will cut Desmond Trufant next year. So Johnson will play behind the three starters this year. Ready to take over 2021.

4 Logan Stenberg, G, Kentucky

- Mack will play out this year. Next year we will move Lindstrom to center and put Stenberg as RG. This year he will be back up
5. Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

- I have always hated the Devonta Freeman contract, Benjamin will be a part of the rotation at running back in 2020. With a good O line he will good.

7. Oluwole Betiku Jr, Edge, Illinois
 - Another edge defender. He will need to learn at the next levet, but has potential.

STARTING LINE UP – DEFENSE:

DE: Terrell Lewis

DE: Takk McKinley

DT: Javon Kinlaw

DT: Grady Jarrett

WLB: Foye Oluokun

MLB: Deion Jones

SLB: Zach Braun

DB: Desmond Trufant

DB: Isaiah Oliver

SS: Keanu Neal

FS: Ricardo Allen

STARTING LINE UP – OFFENSE:

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Ito Smith

TE1: Austin Hooper

WR1: Julio Jones

WR2: Calvin Ridley

WR3: Russell Gage

O Line: Jake Matthews, Brandon Scherff, Alex Mack, Chris Lindstrom, Kaleb McGary

4 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

I wouldn't mind it, but I would draft a RB. 

He did actually.

11 minutes ago, FalconOdense said:

MY GOAL for this offseason plan:

This is probably more realistic than a lot of offseasons. No gutting the team and one big FA. Not what I expect as much, given the "game wrecker" focus, but hey. I'd love if we could land a lot of those players in the draft...think almost all go earlier, but who knows at this point? We'd be in good shape for sure.

Also, don't think Jamon Brown can be cut while saving any money rn.

starting to think Javon Kinlaw won't drop all the way to #16 - if he does, no-brainer solid pick - would be my choice as well.

The two other guys I would consider at #16 are legit Defensive Ends w/ size - AJ Epenesa and Yetur Gross-Matos.    I actually like Gross-Matos a little more as he looks like he has a little more speed and athleticism over Epenesa while still having legit size.   Both guys are about 6'5"-ish but Epenesa is closer to 280 and Gross-Matos 265.   Both have motors that rev high which is a requirement.

My only issue w/ YGM is this off-field lawsuit and the hazing - that could hurt his draft stock and cause him to not pass the Falcons filter.  I would do an exhaustive background check on him and, if I felt it was isolated, would pull the string there unless Kinlaw or Derrick Brown unexpectedly dropped to #16.

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He did actually.

This is probably more realistic than a lot of offseasons. No gutting the team and one big FA. Not what I expect as much, given the "game wrecker" focus, but hey. I'd love if we could land a lot of those players in the draft...think almost all go earlier, but who knows at this point? We'd be in good shape for sure.

Also, don't think Jamon Brown can be cut while saving any money rn.

He can't be cut to save any money THIS year, BUT if we cut him and Carpenter this year we end up spending like an extra 1.5 million dollars on top of what we already are going to be paying them this year, but we save 14 million dollars in 2021.as well as an additional 6 millionin 2022.

If we cut Brown, Carpenter, Schaub, Stocker, Bailey, and Sambrailo, our 2020, 2021, and 2022 caps jump from 6.7, 17, and 49 million to 18, 36, and 55 million.

Also to be factored in are trades/cuts/extensions/restructures for Freeman/Mack/Trufant which could get us 16, 25, and 22 million dollars minimum added onto our cap space in next three years. My problem with this is that we end up losing numerous players for the sake of money, and having to replace most if not all.

Id love to see us extend Mack, making his cap lower, trade Freeman, and cut Brown, Carpenter, Schaub, and Sambrailo.

Leave Trufant alone, keep Bailey, and bring in DP/FA to round out the roster.  Youth will play a key role on this team in 2020. I have faith that the trio of Tru, Sheffield, and Oliver will be much better, and keeping Neal, Allen, and Kazee at S will be a wise choice going forward. 

Oline LG is main focus along the offense, as solidifying the line will go a long way determing how our running game goes (along with play calling)

Defense has more holes, but I could see us filling most of those with our first three picks and bringing in a veteran for rotation strengthening depth.  

Just now, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Worked well in 2016

Banking on 3 rookies from your draft to hit, be in your starting line-up, and transform your defense immediately, is a really bad strategy, and it doesn't matter if it worked in the past or not. It would take all of the stars to line-up, and that hasn't happened very much in our history.  This team needs to take advantage of MR & JJ's last few years, and that means win now. Starting 3 rookies doesn't line-up with winning now.  (Win I say win, I mean playoffs & Super Bowl Contention.)

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I wouldn't hate it other than I think that is quite a few rookies starting on defense.  I am not sure that is a recipe for immediate success, and this team needs to be in "win now" mode.

We had Debo, Campbell,. Neal, and Poole all play either starters or key roles/snaps for the 2016 defense that took us to the SB.  Add in Hooper on offense, and most of our offense was thrown into the fire almost from the start.  I know Hooper wasn't a starter, but he played a vital role and grew with the team as it went along. 

We likely wouldn't have to play many starters this year either, LG, DE, LB, and DT would be the only spots, but it doesn't mean they have to be starters.  

If we draft a LG it wouldn't be bad because we now are back to a pretty solid Oline with the other 4.

DE would most likely be a higher draft pick so he'd be expected to take a good number of snaps, but depending on who we bring back or bring in, he'll be rotating for the most part anyways.

Foye can settle into Campbell's spot if they let him go for the time being if he wins out in TC.

If we bring back Davison, he can play a big part in the rotation with Senat, Bailey, Cominsky and a DP.

I'm just saying this year shouldn't be as big a need for Rookie Starters, but we'v succeeded with them before and I have faith we can again.

Logan Stenberg is a BEAST and is going to make somebody's line NASTY.

That being said, he's a 3rd rounder at the very latest. Probably more like a 2nd rounder. I'd take him with either of our 2nd round picks.

Been a while since we had a Harvey Dahl-ish enforcer on the line. This guy is really a road-grading fire breather.

33 minutes ago, Doug Carlton said:

Logan Stenberg is a BEAST and is going to make somebody's line NASTY.

That being said, he's a 3rd rounder at the very latest. Probably more like a 2nd rounder. I'd take him with either of our 2nd round picks.

Been a while since we had a Harvey Dahl-ish enforcer on the line. This guy is really a road-grading fire breather.

why not in the 1st round if he is such a beast? just curious...

12 hours ago, emc008 said:

why not in the 1st round if he is such a beast? just curious...

I only anticipate 3-4 OGs selected thru the 1st and 2nd rounds due to the other position talent in this ear's draft.

C is a BIG need higher in the draft and names like Cushenberry, Harris and Biadasz are sure to be called before Stenny.

20 hours ago, Osiruz said:

Must have skimmed it, great draft. The only pick I don't like is RB I want a marquee back but other than that I love this. 

I didn't read much at all, kinda hard to really once I had to stop and try to search the roster for Deconta Freeman and hit the NFL site to search for anything relevant to July 1st cuts. Plus the inability to cut our FA OL acquistion from last year has been discussed ad nauseum around here for a while now

:ninja: