What is your preference?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather

• Trade Up For Simmons (5th): cost both 2nd round picks
    • Stay Put: Delpit
    • Move back to 26th for Swift or Murray and add a 2nd
    • Move to 8th for Brown: coat 2nd & 5th

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

You'd be the first one to cry when we draft a wr and wr will be bpa the majority of rounds in this draft.

No I won't. Didn't cry when we drafted Ridley instead of a DT. I'm one of the few who believes you should go BPA even at stacked positions because the draft should be a long term strategy. Not a needs based Dimi hole filling strategy. Rooks usually get their ases handed to em and some even into year two and three. TATFers are true needs based drafters like Dimi. Many even want to tank for rookie saviours.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Not a player I would give up the first and 2 seconds for (since we don’t need a QB). I would stay put, on trade back. Them maybe move back into late 1 with our 2nd and 3rd...have 2 firsts and 2 seconds.

This.

The only way we stay at 16 or move up, is if a player at 16 or one we see as a clear BPA falls to 10-14 range...Kinlaw or Simmons is there do you do it?

Otherwise weigh who is at 16 and see if a trade down is an option over the available choices vs what is gonna be lower 20-32...which you basically grade those guys as similar to 2nd round prospects at that point.

20 hours ago, Vandy said:

All this TAFT love for Simmons reminds me a lot of how it was in here with Haason Reddick a few drafts ago.

Stay put. If the 2-3 guys you wanted at 16 are gone, trade down. God knows this team could use more depth.

This.  There is never just one guy.  It's certainly arguable that Jarrett is the steal of the 2015 draft and he is a 5th rounder.  Takk and Beasley have never lived up to their draft slot.  Matthews is really solid, but arguably hasn't lived up to his either (imagine if we'd traded up to get him to see my point more clearly).

The way I see it is we look at what players would most improve our roster and we draft those players.  If they fall to us, great.  If they don't, trade down or pick the highest guy on your board.  Dynasties are not built by trading up every few years.  Ultimately, quality drafting is minimizing risks, which means not going after one guy who may or may not work out.  Quality drafting is trying to get as many good players on your team as possible and constructing the team from the best of those.

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

This.  There is never just one guy.  It's certainly arguable that Jarrett is the steal of the 2015 draft and he is a 5th rounder.  Takk and Beasley have never lived up to their draft slot.  Matthews is really solid, but arguably hasn't lived up to his either (imagine if we'd traded up to get him to see my point more clearly).

The way I see it is we look at what players would most improve our roster and we draft those players.  If they fall to us, great.  If they don't, trade down or pick the highest guy on your board.  Dynasties are not built by trading up every few years.  Ultimately, quality drafting is minimizing risks, which means not going after one guy who may or may not work out.  Quality drafting is trying to get as many good players on your team as possible and constructing the team from the best of those.

/End thread. 

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Agree with everything other than Matthews, I think he gets crapped on more than he deserves.  He has played well overall and compared to other tackle play in the league, been one of the better ones the last few years.  Let’s not forget Greg Robinson went 2nd to the Rams and has been horrible, had the Rams taken Jake at 2, we likely end up with Robinson at 6 instead, so maybe I’m just thankful we by far got the better of the two in that scenario.  

1 minute ago, Rings said:

Agree with everything other than Matthews, I think he gets crapped on more than he deserves.  He has played well overall and compared to other tackle play in the league, been one of the better ones the last few years.  Let’s not forget Greg Robinson went 2nd to the Rams and has been horrible, had the Rams taken Jake at 2, we likely end up with Robinson at 6 instead, so maybe I’m just thankful we by far got the better of the two in that scenario.  

That's why I tried to structure my words where I was not crapping on him, but only farting in his general direction -- heck, I didn't even unclog my nose at him :D

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cab43b5dd94d731941

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Very well said.  We draft better than most, but it's still an educated guess and a hope the player stays healthy. Yu minimize risk by giving  yourself more turns at bat.  Diversify your portfolio

Since 2010 the Patriots have had 14 more top 128 picks than us.  That's a huge gap