FalconsIn2012

What is your preference?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather

• Trade Up For Simmons (5th): cost both 2nd round picks
    • Stay Put: Delpit
    • Move back to 26th for Swift or Murray and add a 2nd
    • Move to 8th for Brown: coat 2nd & 5th

In the TD era the Falcons have always opted to move up in the first round. In fact, he has never moved back in the first round to accumulate additional top 100 pics. Oddly, with the exception does Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, our best selections have been in rounds two through five. Trading up for Baker, Takk, and trufant all have shown to be unwise waste of draft capital. Not that the players aren't good, but the cost was too much.

So what is your preference this year?

8 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The players are irrelevant in this question... I am asking more draft philosophy.

I honestly doubt Simmons will be available at 8 which is where I'd have us moving up

My philosophy is always to trade down unless you’re in love with a prospect. I would trade up for Simmons though. 

5 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

My philosophy is always to trade down unless you’re in love with a prospect. I would trade up for Simmons though. 

My biggest issue with trade up is injury risk.  Baker, Julio, Takk, Trufant, Neal & Lindstrom are all first round picks that missed significant playing time.  It's such a risk

I think we should stay right where we are. We can get a pretty good player at 16, keep them for 5 years on the cheap, and we have two second round picks who are still much better potential picks than later rounds than the third we can have for four years. Then we can fill depth and special teams the rest of the draft and hopefully find a diamond in the rough like Oluokun.

45 minutes ago, Vandy said:

All this TAFT love for Simmons reminds me a lot of how it was in here with Haason Reddick a few drafts ago.

Stay put. If the 2-3 guys you wanted at 16 are gone, trade down. God knows this team could use more depth.

While Simmons is a more established prospect, the analogy of riddick is spot-on.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The players are irrelevant in this question... I am asking more draft philosophy.

I honestly doubt Simmons will be available at 8 which is where I'd have us moving up

Just don’t know I’ve seen mocks with Simmons going as low as 5 to as high as 10. I think he’ll end up in that 5-10 range depending on how many QB strapped teams like what they see.

Right now Love and the Oregon kid could quite be on the move up which is good for Simmons falling in range.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

You'd be the first one to cry when we draft a wr and wr will be bpa the majority of rounds in this draft.

He was pumping up Hopkins as the best player in the 2013 draft and said that we should have gotten him instead of Tru......we would have had to trade up for him but some how that was ok.

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It is..   to put it into context

Option 1:. Simmons.  No second round picks

Option 3:. Draft Murray or Swift along with three second round picks

I love Simmons but I'll go option 3

I highly doubt a move up for Simmons would cost us both seconds. We can get up to the 7-8 range with just one and I would hope we wouldn't be willing to go any higher than that.

As far as the question.......it depends.

The draft is such an interesting thing because the miss rate is so high.

If you can trade back and get an extra 2 or 3 good players...awesome

But is that a guarantee?not really

On the flip side is one truly dominate player who can make a unit better worth it??