Falcons Safety plans? Thoughts?

So I just read on NFLN that Eric Berry is ready to come back to the NFL after taking a year break to recovery his mind and body.

Could he be a big improvement, and does he fit in our plans at all?

we have Neal, Kazee, Rico on the roster. Some good draft prospects, and Berry coming back to the NFL. Kazee is cheap, Neal can be cut, Rico can be cut or traded.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on how we should address the S spots for 2020? keep what we have, add a top pick, add a FA like Berry (or other)...post em up.

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Between Rico & Neal, Falcons will have $14M in 2020 cap invested there.

Yep...do you think the team moves on from one or both of them, or roll w that duo? We have Kazee who is solely a FS, Neal who is purely a SS, and Rico who IMO is a FS despite filling in at SS. 

I just can’t see one of these 3 on the bench. Especially not the 2 w big contracts.

I guess it’s not hard for a team to have that much invested, especially if you have a top safety getting $10+ (I know we don’t, but could we if Neal balls out on his 5th year)

9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

If we draft one high do you get rid of 1-2 of the ones we have?

Maybe Allen, neal is top safety in this league when healthy. It would be hard for me.to choose between Kazee and Allen. They both have their strengths, but I would say Allen because there wasnt really a long term deal nor any enormous amount of money being handed out. Should be able to get out of the contract pretty easy 

3 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep...do you think the team moves on from one or both of them, or roll w that duo? We have Kazee who is solely a FS, Neal who is purely a SS, and Rico who IMO is a FS despite filling in at SS. 

I just can’t see one of these 3 on the bench. Especially not the 2 w big contracts.

I guess it’s not hard for a team to have that much invested, especially if you have a top safety getting $10+ (I know we don’t, but could we if Neal balls out on his 5th year)

I don’t see how we can my man, the dead cap hits are too significant.

Even though I was a fan, I never understood the Rico extension. We should have moved Kazee into that slot. This team fails when it doesn’t allow for JAG players (Beasley/Campbell/Rico) to be purged by cheaper draft picks.

Neal is a little more complicated.

17 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I don’t see how we can my man, the cap hits are too big.

Even though I was a fan, I never understood the Rico extension. We should have moved Kazee into that slot. This team fails when it doesn’t allow for JAG players (Beasley/Campbell/Rico) to be purged by cheaper draft picks.

Neal is a little more complicated.

I think there are net savings to be had cutting, and especially trading Rico.

i also wouldn’t want to move on from Neal yet. He is great when on the field, and $6m is fair. I like Rico, but would get rid on him before Neal, mainly because we have Kazee for cheap, and Rico isn’t a full time SS.

the FO really values Rico’s leadership and being a smart field general, so he may be the last to go of them all. They already showed when all are healthy Rico is their guy over Kazee at FS

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Duggar and Chinn both had great weeks. I'd like either on this team, though they're definitely still works in progress.

May make sense to grab one, let them learn on the bench while we see how things play out for Neal this year. They should be late day 2 or day 3 picks I would guess.

He could very well bounce back and be the Neal we all know, or injuries could have had their toll. He is too good to just walk away from this offseason though.

1 hour ago, caponine said:

Nahhh , just draft a safety. He kind of reminds me.of the situation with Earl Thomas last year. He will probably want a big contract. I rather get some home grown talent 

I honestly think that a lot of teams will shy away given the time away from the game and age.  We might be able to sign him relatively cheaply IMO.  I would be in favor of signing him and cutting Neal while still drafting a safety pretty early.

Allen had an outlier year in 2019, I think it's highly likely he returns to his high level of play in 2020 under Morris. Neal is iffy. Two devastating injuries in back to back seasons can obviously have a huge effect on a players abilities. I don't think we need Berry or any big name really, but we do need to either sign quality depth or draft a safety in the mid-rounds. 

Regards Berry? If he takes a close to vet minimum okay but I’m sure a team will throw more at him if a bid war happens...

Regards Falcons existing Safety situation? I could see them staying status quo for one more year, but also take a Draft pick to upgrade/invest in the spot given injury history.

I believe the front 7 overall has more need so depends on how much resource allocation is sacrificed to upgrade S when other areas on defense have yet to fill out in FA...but we could grab a solid DB through round 2; BPA type situation.

I’m more interested in our roster shaping before the draft at this point as that will clear up the puzzle a bit.

42 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Allen had an outlier year in 2019, I think it's highly likely he returns to his high level of play in 2020 under Morris. Neal is iffy. Two devastating injuries in back to back seasons can obviously have a huge effect on a players abilities. I don't think we need Berry or any big name really, but we do need to either sign quality depth or draft a safety in the mid-rounds. 

His down year may have had a lot to do with him playing out of position as well. Simply the different responsibilities may have not put him in position for some opportunities. 

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

So I just read on NFLN that Eric Berry is ready to come back to the NFL after taking a year break to recovery his mind and body.

Could he be a big improvement, and does he fit in our plans at all?

we have Neal, Kazee, Rico on the roster. Some good draft prospects, and Berry coming back to the NFL. Kazee is cheap, Neal can be cut, Rico can be cut or traded.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on how we should address the S spots for 2020? keep what we have, add a top pick, add a FA like Berry (or other)...post em up.

Cut Rico and Neal. Sign Anthony Harris and add a draft pick. Would finally get the takeaways Quinn has been cryin for for years.