Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spts1

NBA rule changes are why the Hawks are struggling

14 posts in this topic

The Hawks are suffering from what every young team in the NBA that can't outscore you or play elite defense is suffering from,  rule changes that opened up the game and turned it into the NBA's version of Arena League Football.  Up until the rule changes,  it would take a good day on offense to crack the 75 point mark by the end of the third quarter.  Now teams are scoring 75 points by halftime.  Its a joke but something the NBA wanted because they wanted more scoring. 

Players are coming into the NBA after one or two years in college and are required to adjust on the fly from a more half court college game that still emphasizes defense, to a wide open NBA style where even great defense is punished because of the rule changes.  I'm seeing DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish play excellent defense, but its not rewarded because of the PACE and transition of the game emphasizes a wide open style of offense that increases the number of possessions on offense and punished the defense:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/30/18038802/nba-defense-offensive-boom

Ahead of the 2001–02 season, the league pushed back by instituting new rules to open up the floor and promote skill over strength: illegal defense was eliminated, and defensive three seconds was introduced; the time allotted to advance the ball past midcourt was also decreased, from 10 seconds to eight. Three years later, hand-checking and body-checking calls were re-emphasized to further promote freedom of movement.

“The special committee on the rules anticipated when we implemented the package back in 2001 that, fundamentally, it would change the game,” said Stu Jackson, the former NBA executive vice president of basketball operations. “Collectively, all three of those [rules] allowed the game to breathe.”

Offense is more dynamic these days, but Golden State defensive guru Ron Adams argues that it’s also less complex. In years past, when teams could play through the post, “your offensive menu was quite vast,” he said. “Coaches required players to learn a lot of plays.” Modern athletes have transitioned the game more into the open court, and with that comes an emphasis on pace, the word that has come to define this current leg of an ongoing revolution.

Pace is defined as the number of possessions a game contains per 48 minutes (or a full regulation game’s worth) of play. The average NBA team has nearly 13 more possessions per 48 minutes than it did two decades ago. As a result, most possessions turn into fire drills for the defense. “There’s not a set script for it,” Adams said. “The court is really spaced. People are scrambling to initially slow down the ball and then go back to your assignment once things are safe. You’ve got quick-shooting teams, you’ve got guys who can really drive to the basket in transition. A lot of things are happening there.”

Edited by Spts1
therawest likes this

The rule changes make it nearly impossible to hold a team to 100 points or less. It's ridiculous. Defense is part of the game. Score and stop the other team from scoring.

Teams are scoring 130+ points in regulation more often now than ever before and I hate it. 

Drew4719 and Spts1 like this

11 hours ago, No.11 said:

The rule changes make it nearly impossible to hold a team to 100 points or less. It's ridiculous. Defense is part of the game. Score and stop the other team from scoring.

Teams are scoring 130+ points in regulation more often now than ever before and I hate it. 

I agree. The one foul call i hate the most is when an offensive player makes body contact with he defensive player on the way to the basket, a foul is called every time on the defense. It was disgusting to watch when Denver played in Atlanta and Jocic banged and elbowed his way to the basket while we were in perfect defensive position and they called a defensive foul every time. 

13 hours ago, No.11 said:

Another thing it does is encourage bad play and bad fundamentals.  Instead of having a game of beautiful halfcourt sets and plays, you have a game full of mad scrambles up and down the court that look like pick up basketball games.  This encourages the players to not properly develop low post fundamentals, blocking, etc.   Its a ugly game but thats what they wanted. 

On another note, football, baseball and basketball felt like more scoring would make the games more popular.  What would make the games more popular is a fundamentally sound games and not high scoring games and leagues where only two or three teams are in the running for the championship every season.

Edited by Spts1
therawest and Mr.11 like this

While I agree that it’s impossible to play defense now without being called for a foul, the Hawks have more problems than just that.

Our shooting percentages are horrid.  Especially Cam the golden child, along with our Center’s and most of our bench.

All below league average shooting rates.  And some drastically low.

Spts1 likes this

4 hours ago, Beef said:

While I agree that it’s impossible to play defense now without being called for a foul, the Hawks have more problems than just that.

Our shooting percentages are horrid.  Especially Cam the golden child, along with our Center’s and most of our bench.

All below league average shooting rates.  And some drastically low.

That's why I said in my post that UNLESS they can outscore you OR play defense, a team has no chance in today's NBA...

Edited by Spts1

Even Bob Rathbun and Dominque Wilkins are starting to comment on emphasis on touch fouls. I dont know if this is the leagues way of generating more interest, but its borderline Allstar gamish. I like offense like the next guy but i am not try to watch a hundred free throws in a game. 

8 hours ago, therawest said:

Even Bob Rathbun and Dominque Wilkins are starting to comment on emphasis on touch fouls. I dont know if this is the leagues way of generating more interest, but its borderline Allstar gamish. I like offense like the next guy but i am not try to watch a hundred free throws in a game. 

It's already all star crap. Look at these scores. Teams are scoring 140, 150 points on the regular. We've been the victim of those outbursts too many times already.

therawest and Spts1 like this

9 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Damm I’m old enough where I remember that game.  These guys today don’t believe in playing great defense.  I remember when it was a big deal to block a shot into the stands or give someone a little forearm shiver!!!:lol:

Yeah it’s completely unrecognizable now compared to today’s game. I grew up with that physical nature. And no Steph curry wouldn’t survive in that climate.  

blkbigdog35 and jeffro2000 like this

3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

OMG....I'm laughing. I remember most of these.

Can't say I'm a fan of the after foul fistacuffs, but those hard fouls were glorious.

Jordan is the GOAT...he took his beating like a champ and kept on going.

The Laimbeer windmill fouls were egregious

and seeing these remind me that yes Jordan is the goat.  

blkbigdog35 likes this

I was listening to Doug Gottlieb on tv today talking about Trae Young and he said " I don't care how much offense you put up if you are the worst defender in the league.  There is a reason they are losing."   I have said the same thing.  When your point guard doesn't play defense, its a dominoe effect for the WHOLE DEFENSE.  You combine that WITH the points made in this thread and thats how you are a terrible team.   The Capela signing should help but the main thing is communication and recovery defense because with Trae at the point, the defense is gonna be in continous switching and recover mode.

Doug Gottlieb...

Image result for doug gottlieb