Kubiak Takes over Vikings OC vacancy

Ergo Proxy

Just to anyone that said he wasn’t interested in this sort of thing anymore and was never an option for the Falcons to even attempt to bring in after he left Denver...

But we fired Sark for Dirk!

Man, I really hope we get a “year 2” jump. Ryan was on fire all year in 2018 and we changed OC to “fix the run game”...something better coaching helped propel the Vikings run game in 2019.

Why we decided to go away from outside zone and try to be a power team to validate bringing in Dirk...

Sark wasn’t Shanny but why not give him the OL attention? Dude never had a line like 2016. Not while Andy was on IR, RG was a revolving door and Schraeder had a mid career crisis...no FB...hurt Free...

But to fix the run game fire Sark and try to interview Gary...WHOOOOOPS better go with our real plan “A” Dirk x Mularkey because... :bang:

/endrant 

Dirk better be worth losing out on Kubiak and at least jumping us back into a lethal passing team otherwise what’s the point?

Oh well there goes that theory @Schwarzwald I feel we are 3 years late the decision to try and continue what we were with the right people has past us.

I get it we are married to Koetter and now it feels like the offense is in rebuild mode and finding itself again.While all in all our best players are a further year down the career path.

I don’t understand this sought of decision or how we’ve got to this but right now we are right in the middle of it.

We talk about windows and for me this Falcons window is closing quickly unless the only way around it like @Vandy said yesterday TD and co bail the situation by hitting some more Grady Jarrett Deion Jones HRs in the draft.

IMO, Kubiak was the best possible hire for us after losing Shanahan and scapegoating Sarkisian. Then we go and hire literally the 2nd worst possible choice in Dirk Koetter, and bring back the worst possible choice as a position coach (Mularkey). Why on earth we thought a 4-verts, vertical passing power run OC for a zone running WCO personnel structure is completely mindboggling to me. Especially since Koetter has gotten WORSE in successive years every step of his career and displayed terrible 70/30 balance in his first tenure in ATL. Why on earth would they think it'd be any different this time?

We rush hired Koetter for no reason, no one was going to line up for him. We could have interviewed 20 candidates and took our time and Koetter would still be there. I loathe his offense and how our players play in it, it's idiotic no YAC 7-step drops with a weird staggered LT (ZBS) - LG (Power [in reality just fat and slow]) - C (ZBS) - RG (see LG) - RT (Power??) no cohesion with slow fat ******** inbetween agile ZBS blockers and then wonder why Matt Ryan got hit 12+ times a game.

Heck, Darrell Bevell would have been better, at least he ran a WCO before. Wish Koetter would have retired with Mularkey.

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You’re missing out not just on Kubiak, but also his son and possibly Dennison.  It would have been a complete overhaul on the offense coaching staff.

I mean, maybe I’m just salty and he wanted out of Denver solely to join up with family in Minnesota...but being denied by Elway at interviewing and a few weeks later after we pick Dirk then they agree to part ways??

Maybe he was never an option here but the vibe I got last year this time was Elway had the right to deny interviews; regardless of Kubiak’s wishes, and my personal opinion is that Gary left Denver in part because of wanting to control his own path once again moving forward.

By then, we were out of the running...

But still, we lost Sark after he improved enough and we still threw how many contracts/draft capital at the OL??

If it was that bad, why did you fire Steve without KNOWING you could upgrade?

2 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

I mean, maybe I’m just salty and he wanted out of Denver solely to join up with family in Minnesota...but being denied by Elway at interviewing and a few weeks later after we pick Dirk then they agree to part ways??

Maybe he was never an option here but the vibe I got last year this time was Elway had the right to deny interviews; regardless of Kubiak’s wishes, and my personal opinion is that Gary left Denver in part because of wanting to control his own path once again moving forward.

By then, we were out of the running...

But still, we lost Sark after he improved enough and we still threw how many contracts/draft capital at the OL??

If it was that bad, why did you fire Steve without KNOWING you could upgrade?

Keeping Sark woulda been 100x better than hiting Koetter back at that point. At least we could have signed ZBS linemen at that point instead of two fat, slow, wannabe power "maulers" that fit Koetter's terrible "scheme" if you can even call it that.

There wasn't really anything we could do, we got blocked from interviewing and rolled with another candidate that we interviewed.

Even if we fired Dirk, he wouldn't have made the jump here this season anyway. Why leave the place where you've established your system and have rapport with the players and staff? He'll basically pick up where they left off as opposed to having to start over on another team.

Edited by The Architect

12 minutes ago, The Architect said:

There wasn't really anything we could do, we got blocked from interviewing and rolled with another candidate that we interviewed.

Even if we fired Dirk, he wouldn't have made the jump here this season anyway. Why leave the place where you've established your system and have rapport with the players and staff? He'll basically pick up where they left off as opposed to having to start over on another team.

This thread is more about lamenting Sark really...but it’s a shame we couldn’t get a guy like Kubiak that TAUGHT Kyle; essentially whatever Kyle’s dad didn’t since you know...we had Sark trying to make it all work out and coulda got an OG.

If we fired Sark for Kubiak and missed our shot for him...it’s ridiculous to have to get another guy that doesn’t even have experience with the scheme/system.

round peg in square hole!

At least Sark had TWO years on Dirk, now Dirk is playing catch up to Sark’s pass game alone but it was worth it for the run scheme!!manning.jpg.f9279c687547fcff2cc8d4c940041a1f.jpg

7 minutes ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

I guess most of you crying about him forgot Elway BLOCKED us from talking to him when we were interested....

I didn’t forget and included it. This should have been known. It is known.

What is different:

Some people claimed he wasn’t interested in OC anymore and even if Elway hadnt blocked he wasn’t an option for us...when the only thing really concrete was him saying no to a HEAD coach gig...

What is frustrating: We downgraded from Sark to Dirk; Kubiak or Bust right?

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Welp

Man...It’s so hard to try to be positive about Dirk...

Mularkey jumped ship already or just wanted out anyway? :ninja:

At least we got OL invested in but no clue what they gonna do with run scheme.

Past time to get that 2nd half defense to be the norm because I don’t trust Dirk to get most out of the offense.

If he jumps year 2 and everything else improves? Let’s go...just tired of the reset button.

6 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Man...It’s so hard to try to be positive about Dirk...

Mularkey jumped ship already or just wanted out anyway? :ninja:

At least we got OL invested in but no clue what they gonna do with run scheme.

Past time to get that 2nd half defense to be the norm because I don’t trust Dirk to get most out of the offense.

If he jumps year 2 and everything else improves? Let’s go...just tired of the reset button.

Yeah. I have nothing good to say so I’ll say nothing

Kubiak was never coming here, so......

Anyways, I liked the idea of bringing back Koetter just for the sake of Matt Ryan not having to completely 'start over' for the 46th time in his decade as a Falcon.  

I also wanted Shanahan fired about 14 games into his first season here. 

So I'm not saying anything about our OC until about mid-next-season, because I have a track record of idiocy when it comes to football. 

1 hour ago, Schwarzwald said:

Just to anyone that said he wasn’t interested in this sort of thing anymore and was never an option for the Falcons to even attempt to bring in after he left Denver...

But we fired Sark for Dirk!

Man, I really hope we get a “year 2” jump. Ryan was on fire all year in 2018 and we changed OC to “fix the run game”...something better coaching helped propel the Vikings run game in 2019.

Why we decided to go away from outside zone and try to be a power team to validate bringing in Dirk...

Sark wasn’t Shanny but why not give him the OL attention? Dude never had a line like 2016. Not while Andy was on IR, RG was a revolving door and Schraeder had a mid career crisis...no FB...hurt Free...

But to fix the run game fire Sark and try to interview Gary...WHOOOOOPS better go with our real plan “A” Dirk x Mularkey because... :bang:

/endrant 

Dirk better be worth losing out on Kubiak and at least jumping us back into a lethal passing team otherwise what’s the point?

10 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Yeah. I have nothing good to say so I’ll say nothing

54 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

IMO, Kubiak was the best possible hire for us after losing Shanahan and scapegoating Sarkisian. Then we go and hire literally the 2nd worst possible choice in Dirk Koetter, and bring back the worst possible choice as a position coach (Mularkey). Why on earth we thought a 4-verts, vertical passing power run OC for a zone running WCO personnel structure is completely mindboggling to me. Especially since Koetter has gotten WORSE in successive years every step of his career and displayed terrible 70/30 balance in his first tenure in ATL. Why on earth would they think it'd be any different this time?

We rush hired Koetter for no reason, no one was going to line up for him. We could have interviewed 20 candidates and took our time and Koetter would still be there. I loathe his offense and how our players play in it, it's idiotic no YAC 7-step drops with a weird staggered LT (ZBS) - LG (Power [in reality just fat and slow]) - C (ZBS) - RG (see LG) - RT (Power??) no cohesion with slow fat ******** inbetween agile ZBS blockers and then wonder why Matt Ryan got hit 12+ times a game.

Heck, Darrell Bevell would have been better, at least he ran a WCO before. Wish Koetter would have retired with Mularkey.

Kubiak was blocked by Elway from interviewing

5 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Kubiak was never coming here, so......

Anyways, I liked the idea of bringing back Koetter just for the sake of Matt Ryan not having to completely 'start over' for the 46th time in his decade as a Falcon.  

I also wanted Shanahan fired about 14 games into his first season here. 

So I'm not saying anything about our OC until about mid-next-season, because I have a track record of idiocy when it comes to football. 

Good point. I hope next season looks better; at least some form of an identity would be nice. The only identity Ive seen is inconsistency and pass happy nonsense. Hopefully they get it straightened out.