Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mtldirtybird

Coverage or Pass Rush? Here's our answer...

We always ask if it's the secondary or the pass rush that really makes the defense...so here we have our answer...

Now that we know this...the question becomes do you invest more in the secondary or more in the pass rush? 

NFL.com - 10 biggest disappointing units in the NFL this season. 

Atlanta Falcons secondary

Heading into the 2019 campaign, the Falcons were a pretty popular playoff pick. Then they lost seven of their first eight games. To Dan Quinn's credit, Atlanta did rally to finish at 7-9. But what happened in the first half of the season? And were the problems truly fixed down the stretch? Well, the turnaround reveals some traditional stats that need more context for a real understanding. In Weeks 1-8, the Falcons had just two interceptions (tied for the fewest) while allowing 19 receiving touchdowns (second-most) and yielding a 53 percent third-down conversion rate (highest in NFL). After the Falcons' Week 9 bye, they snagged 10 interceptions while giving up just nine passing touchdowns. And Atlanta allowed just a 25.8 percent third-down conversion rate (lowest in NFL in Weeks 10-17). Did the secondary really step it up in the back half of the season? Well, interceptions can be misleading. Over these same time periods, Atlanta went from notching just seven sacks in the first eight games to 21 over the final eight. Using computer vision, my measurements show that the uptick in disruptions (monitoring the 5-foot halo around the quarterback) went from 9.8 percent of opposing dropbacks to 34.9 percent. Meanwhile, the pass catcher separation allowed stayed pretty similar throughout the whole season. So it appears that the positive difference in the second half of the season came from the front of the defense, not the back. And going through the film with two NFL coaches further supported this notion.

Can anyone just say our coaching staff were just poor in how they used our players.

Stats and talent be ****ed.Everyones asking the wrong questions.Did we maximise what we had both sides of the ball.

Then thee article mentions to DQs credit the turn around fark off with that ****e.If there going to be subjective he’s been inconsistent for 2 seasons with his decision making around this team and I give you this 1-7 crap to turn it around to 6-2 only verifies thee above.

12 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It's not an either/or.  It all works together and in our case, we could use better football players to round out both levels of the defense.  A game changer anywhere is going to pay dividends.

This. But that's why I'm leaning secondary at #16. I don't think Kinlaw or Chaisson will be there. Is Epenesa a game changer? IDK. He'd be a solid pick, but if you want game changer, I'm leaning Delpit. 

9 minutes ago, vel said:

This. But that's why I'm leaning secondary at #16. I don't think Kinlaw or Chaisson will be there. Is Epenesa a game changer? IDK. He'd be a solid pick, but if you want game changer, I'm leaning Delpit. 

I like Epenesa because of the nastiness I think he'll bring, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Delpit.  

I'm currently driving the Simmons train myself.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I like Epenesa because of the nastiness I think he'll bring, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Delpit.  

I'm currently driving the Simmons train myself.

I'm not getting on any train for any player that I think will be gone. I'm protecting my heart KOG style lol

2 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm not getting on any train for any player that I think will be gone. I'm protecting my heart KOG style lol

:lol: I know I'm totally teasing myself, but I just can't stop thinking about the defensive package we could put together with a guy that can play that many positions.  

The looks we could throw at an offense, the coverages we could play -- oh my goodness.

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

:lol: I know I'm totally teasing myself, but I just can't stop thinking about the defensive package we could put together with a guy that can play that many positions.  

The looks we could throw at an offense, the coverages we could play -- oh my goodness.

Lol I'll wait for the trade up before I think about Simmons anymore. I just hope he goes to NYG and not CAR. 

Speaking of secondary has anyone seen a Doug Mallory sighting since like the beginning of this year.Who hired this guy just saying.

I feel is fans are thee only ones seeing where our issues lie.

DQ has basically got away with highway robbery with some of his decision making.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

What was the time to throw in the first half vs the second half? If the coverage is tighter and makes the QB hold for an extra half second, it makes the pass-rush look a lot better.