Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
texasfalconfan

How much of a drop off is rolling with graham and letting hooper walk

25 posts in this topic

Graham has looked good last year. If we can’t work a deal with Hooper, can he fill the void or are will we have to draft one early?

It's pretty big. And I think that handing anyone a position is symptomatic of greater complacency problems in Flowery Branch and therefore hope we draft someone for that reason alone, even if we like Graham and let go of Hoop.

Still hate letting him go...but if he's really wanting 10 mil plus like his agent insinuates (and there won't be a hometown discount, he isn't attached to ATL), he's gone.

There is a real drop off. Especially with an OC that lacks imagination. Can Graham give you 60-70% of what Hooper gives you? I think so, but that may be the ceiling. Can Koetter make up the other 30-40% by scheme? I highly doubt it. This is the problem when you hitch your wagon to poor coaches. 

gtech1, Vandy, kiwifalcon and 2 others like this

21 minutes ago, vel said:

There is a real drop off. Especially with an OC that lacks imagination. Can Graham give you 60-70% of what Hooper gives you? I think so, but that may be the ceiling. Can Koetter make up the other 30-40% by scheme? I highly doubt it. This is the problem when you hitch your wagon to poor coaches. 

Koetter is usually good with tight ends. 

red falcon likes this

22 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Koetter is usually good with tight ends. 

This was my concern. Seems DK utilizes TE heavily on seam routes compared to day Shannahan who was more wo, slot and rb.  Although if free stays he seems better utilized catching and could prbly carry some of load if you get him moving on those LBs.  

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Well one problem is depth at that point. What if Graham went out for 3 games like Austin did? Then you have Stocker.

Maybe we can bring Saubert back at least.

14 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Maybe we can bring Saubert back at least.

If Belicheck couldnt turn Saubert into anything decent I'm doubting he would be much help

Geneaut likes this

Just now, LouDog said:

If Belicheck couldnt turn Saubert into anything decent I'm doubting he would be much help

Yeah, but I don't think we are going to bring that many people in. That said, there was obviously something about Saubert that didn't work for our coaching staff.

P.S. I just liked seeing pictures of his GF so I may be biased toward him LOL.

People look at stats but Hooper is the guy looked to at during 3rd down and red zone plays. That’s where i think we will have significant fall off. 

Geneaut likes this

2 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

People look at stats but Hooper is the guy looked to at during 3rd down and red zone plays. That’s where i think we will have significant fall off. 

Yep.  And Sanu had that spot before Hoop.  Solid possession WRs are not that hard to find and cheaper than 10mil a year.  If Hoop was Gronk 2.0 yeah.

red falcon and NWFALCON like this

For sake of argument.

every other time we let people walk and say the younger guys can handle it, we are wrong. I.E.  the year we let clayborn go, alford  > oliver, poole, coleman > ito, our o-line in 2013-2014, the worrilow/joplo  experiment. 

1 hour ago, thamill said:

Hoop is good.  Is he the next Tony G, Gronk, or Kelce?  No.  We have a lot of weapons on O.  If he wants 10mil, he can go get it somewhere else.

It’s literally this simple. Ppl always rip Arthur for making everyone a falcon for life then they want to do the same. The success of our franchise does not rest on the shoulders of Austin Hooper and I say that as a Hooper fan

Can't sign everybody to top contracts, and "Falcon for Life" type deals. If you draft well, and Hooper was a good draft pick, then sometimes you'll have to let some go.  He's a really good player, but he is not GREAT.  I prefer to let him go and fortify another position.

jamesmasen likes this

I think Hooper will go to new England if we let him walk. So don't be surprised to see Austin Hooper in the super bowl next year as a Patriot.

Hoop is markedly better than Graham.  Hoop has really evolved into a nice nfl tight end.  I am on board with letting him go, because I don't think he is ultimately worth the price to play, but from a talent perspective it is a significant drop off.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

I understand Hooper isn't a superstar but there really are hardly ANY real productive TE's in the league. I hope we can resign him but if he's asking for major money then let him walk  

38 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Can't sign everybody to top contracts, and "Falcon for Life" type deals. If you draft well, and Hooper was a good draft pick, then sometimes you'll have to let some go.  He's a really good player, but he is not GREAT.  I prefer to let him go and fortify another position.

You just said it best.. if we can get some pressure on the QB instead of a safety net for an NFL mvp caliber player I'm all for it 

I think a lot of Hooper fans are getting caught up on letting Hooper go as people saying he's not a good player. For the record, I think Hoop is a really good player. But if Kittle or Kelce hit free agency, would I be clamoring for us to sign them at 12 mil/yr? Or even 10 mil/yr? No. I would say the defense has tons of holes compared to the offense and we should focus on fixing that while letting DK work with the abundance of riches he already has.

If we had the talent on defense that we do on offense, I'd say Hooper is top priority in the off-season. But we don't. We flat out don't. I don't get what's so hard for people to understand about this.