Thomas Dimitroff: Falcons are ‘trudging along’ with Austin Hooper negotiations

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The team just always prioritizes it’s own players. I think the team is going to franchise Hooper and he’ll have a new deal by camp. 

Or franchise him and trade or remove tag if we can’t trade him?

Question:

Would Falcons posture by tagging him and then get offered; say, a 2nd rounder this year?

As of now, the Falcons haven’t committed to anyone verbally ahead of FA.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see why it would be growing. I know you guys have issues with them because the run game was so pathetic but I honestly don't have an issue with the guys currently on roster. The issues in run

Hoop. Loved watching you as a Falcon from the start. 

https://theathletic.com/1552295/2020/01/21/thomas-dimitroff-falcons-are-trudging-along-with-austin-hooper-negotiations/   MOBILE, Ala. — Thomas Dimitroff knew the question was coming and dec

2 hours ago, red falcon said:

They are way too loyal to players. I think they forget its a business. Had we won a super bowl probably none of this would matter.

What exactly do you not like about these particular resignings? I would argue that the vast majority of them were good resignings. 

Good:
Ryan
Julio
Matthews
Grady
Debo

Questionable:
Trufant 
Freeman (Coming off the super bowl run and the season he had it would be hard to argue against it but I didn't like the signing because I felt we were overpaying for the previous seasons work)

32 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Or franchise him and trade or remove tag if we can’t trade him?

Question:

Would Falcons posture by tagging him and then get offered; say, a 2nd rounder this year?

As of now, the Falcons haven’t committed to anyone verbally ahead of FA.

Agree with tagging Hoop to trade, but that tweet doesn't seem trustworthy at all.

10 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Agree with tagging Hoop to trade, but that tweet doesn't seem trustworthy at all.

I agree.

It could merely be speculation based on making use of Hooper as an asset rather than losing straight up to UFA...seems to possibly be a spin off Dimitroff’s interview yesterday. :shrug:

Speculation on top of speculation?

28 minutes ago, sandtrap said:

What exactly do you not like about these particular resignings? I would argue that the vast majority of them were good resignings. 

Good:
Ryan
Julio
Matthews
Grady
Debo

Questionable:
Trufant 
Freeman (Coming off the super bowl run and the season he had it would be hard to argue against it but I didn't like the signing because I felt we were overpaying for the previous seasons work)

I wouldnt have paid a running back that money. If you invest well in the line or have a decent scheme almost anyone can run back there. Look at the kid from the niners. 

I'm fine with trufant, Matthew's grady and debo. I figured they pay matt and julio. The vision if the team is starting to waiver offensively like it did towards the end of Smith's tenure 

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Another thing to consider is if the Falcons truly weren't planning on bringing Hooper back, they'd have traded before the deadline one would think

Yeah but isn’t it kind of different for him not to have been approached about a contract until after the season?

I think a decision just hasn’t been made firmly one way or another like some other players. :shrug:

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Another thing to consider is if the Falcons truly weren't planning on bringing Hooper back, they'd have traded before the deadline one would think

That’s what I said earlier about him and Freeman yet the odds of Freeman kicking rocks are high. Then on the other hand they kept both in an attempt to finish strong for The sake of Quinn’s job

1 minute ago, Schwarzwald said:

Yeah but isn’t it kind of different for him not to have been approached about a contract until after the season?

I think a decision just hasn’t been made firmly one way or another like some other players. :shrug:

Maybe...I have a feeling that everything is actually already planned. I think Freeman is cut without question. Trufant is either restructured or cut. Mack is either extended or cut. Beasley and Campbell aren't brought back. Hooper is. 

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That’s what I said earlier about him and Freeman yet the odds of Freeman kicking rocks are high. Then on the other hand they kept both in an attempt to finish strong for The sake of Quinn’s job

I doubt they'd get anything for Freeman given his injuries and recent production. You're just throwing money away at that point. With Hooper I think they still wanted to retain him at a decent price and thought with the injury might get it...doubtful now

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I doubt they'd get anything for Freeman given his injuries and recent production. You're just throwing money away at that point. With Hooper I think they still wanted to retain him at a decent price and thought with the injury might get it...doubtful now

Hooper could actually end up being cheaper than we think. Watch the contract that George Kittle gets. It's going to destroy Hooper's and Henry's. 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Maybe...I have a feeling that everything is actually already planned. I think Freeman is cut without question. Trufant is either restructured or cut. Mack is either extended or cut. Beasley and Campbell aren't brought back. Hooper is. 

Presuming those decisions have been made...

RB1

C

Edge

LB

...all have questions.

I think Mack is an extension situation rather than being cut. Tru idk their plans but he “could” be restructured and kept another year...

Free I can’t read their CoA atm...Hill is an UFA I believe? But Free going would make retaining Hill a must given Ito’s injury history and Barner also being an UFA.

i figures defense would get most attention this draft but the most value guy we have walking is Hooper and that decision and how it unfolds will hinge the rest of the offseason...

Presuming those decisions have been made...

RB1

C

Edge

LB

...all have questions.

I think Mack is an extension situation rather than being cut. Tru idk their plans but he “could” be restructured and kept another year...

Free I can’t read their CoA atm...Hill is an UFA I believe? But Free going would make retaining Hill a must given Ito’s injury history and Barner also being an UFA.

i figures defense would get most attention this draft but the most value guy we have walking is Hooper and that decision and how it unfolds will hinge the rest of the offseason...

I forgot to mention, I think we are drafting a RB in either the 2nd round or trading back into the 1st and getting one. 

7 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Dimitroff mentioned how impressed he is with the size of some of the players on the North team, which includes Notre Dame’s Chase Claypool (6-foot-4, 229 pounds), Texas A&M’s Quartney Davis (6-2, 200 pounds), Liberty’s Antonio Gandy-Golden (6-4, 220 pounds), Baylor’s Denzel Mims (6-3, 215 pounds) and USC’s Michael Pittman Jr. (6-4, 220 pounds).

TD, ever dazzled by the shiny hood ornaments.  7-9 with Julio and Ridley on the team dude.  Get over your fetish.

21 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I forgot to mention, I think we are drafting a RB in either the 2nd round or trading back into the 1st and getting one. 

That’s a tough pill to swallow on moving up or taking a RB that hi...

Like, aren’t or weren’t we going towards RBBC? What run scheme are we even going to use in the first place? 

That pushes solving other positional overturn down the line too...with a couple prospects returning to college...I’d not take that one as high for this offense unless Dirk is gonna really get more out of the position this year...get a good RB and force him to be RB1 and used?

That also banks on the defense performing like we saw last part of 2019...with less resources now by taking a RB high.

I’m pretty torn.

That’s a tough pill to swallow on moving up or taking a RB that hi...

Like, aren’t or weren’t we going towards RBBC? What run scheme are we even going to use in the first place? 

That pushes solving other positional overturn down the line too...with a couple prospects returning to college...I’d not take that one as high for this offense unless Dirk is gonna really get more out of the position this year...get a good RB and force him to be RB1 and used?

That also banks on the defense performing like we saw last part of 2019...with less resources now by taking a RB high.

I’m pretty torn.

I'm never a fan of drafting a RB high. But, I mentioned to some friends that if Dirk was retained, I think we have to go that route. 

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I dont see a trade up. I think we for sure take one with one of those seconds though. If we take swift blank is still meddling imo and it's a ticket selling move.

Yea probably lol. I just know that with Koetter running the offense, this scheme will rely more on talent than scheme itself. A stud back could actually really help with Ryan taking less hits and doing what he does best. More butts in seats wouldn't be a bad thing either lol.