KCFalcon22

Falcons not sure on Vic Beasley

93 posts in this topic

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/22/falcons-not-exactly-sure-what-direction-theyll-go-with-vic-beasley/

Falcons “not exactly sure” what direction they’ll go with Vic Beasley

Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff didn’t have much of an update about where things stand in contract talks with tight end Austin Hooper and the outlook for another impending free agent isn’t much clearer.

Defensive end Vic Beasley led the team with eight sacks during the 2019 season and closed out the year with four sacks in the final four weeks. Dimitroff cited that finishing kick when asked about whether the team will be trying to keep Beasley on hand in 2020.

“We’re not exactly sure of the direction we’re going to go with it,” Dimitroff said, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com. “I thought Vic had a nice push down the stretch. and I know he impressed a lot of people in the organization.”

The Falcons only recorded 28 sacks as a team during the 2019 season, so boosting the pass rush is a priority for the team this offseason. That could come by bringing in new players to rush the passer, upgrading the pass coverage on the back end or a combination of the two. Their ultimate call on Beasley would shed some light on which route they’ll take this offseason.

Exactly...if the same Vic we saw in the second half of the season showed up in the first half, we'd probably be talking about how great of a season we had. In all of the games he recorded a sack, except 1 I think, we won...he's too inconsistent as an edge rusher.

ya_boi_j, Brehus and Peteshweddy like this

The Falcons have an overall problem finding players who are staunch competitors, fighters...dogs.  I don't know what they were thinking when they drafted Beasley other than he was fast off the line, because he wasn't physical and he wasn't a fighter determined to get to the QB.  

Let him go, Unless we can get him on a bargain deal and I'm talking like 2 year 10mil... then he would be worth keeping. If not, then no harm... simply let him walk. Way too inconsistent as a pass rusher and disappears at crucial times. 

I just want a dem pass rush and don’t care who it is....it’s like impossible for the Falcons. The words sacking the QB and Falcons don’t exist 

If he'll take $2-$3M to be a situational pass-rusher I'm fine with it. I don't want to see him on the field except on 3rd and long. That is the only way I'd resign him.

My preferred scenario is some AFC team offers him a gigantic contract and he leaves to have a mediocre career somewhere that we never have to see him again. He can then use that money in his charitable work around Atlanta which I applaud him for.

I don't hate Vic. I think he's a nice young man who unfortunately has never played up to his contract ... while giving that one year flash that frustrates us since he never could replicate that performance over an entire season since. I wish him luck and health in his future endeavors unless he signs somewhere in the NFC South.

1 minute ago, quotemokc said:

As it currently stands, doing nothing is basically the team saying "bye Felicia".

I think TD is just being polite and playing the game. No news on this front is basically telling us something. 

It reminds me of the late great Neil Peart's lyrics from 'Freewill' - "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

KCFalcon22, Schwarzwald and Rings like this

41 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

The Falcons have an overall problem finding players who are staunch competitors, fighters...dogs.  I don't know what they were thinking when they drafted Beasley other than he was fast off the line, because he wasn't physical and he wasn't a fighter determined to get to the QB.  

This is so true!!!   I said I was gonna shut my mouth abt staff until at least GM 1 of preseason (and I’ll stick to that) but this is very true and one of our biggest internal issues!!

Da_Truth likes this

7 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I think TD is just being polite and playing the game. No news on this front is basically telling us something. 

It reminds me of the late great Neil Peart's lyrics from 'Freewill' - "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

Exactly!  Given our recent approach, the fact no one is telegraphing “we wanna keep him a Falcon etc” says it all.  If no one else pays him we might offer him a low $ fight for a piece of poop type deal as others mention whir he is fine if we aren’t counting on him as a difference maker (which he is not).  

Geneaut likes this

1 minute ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

Exactly!  Given our recent approach, the fact no one is telegraphing “we wanna keep him a Falcon etc” says it all.  If no one else pays him we might offer him a low $ fight for a piece of poop type deal as others mention whir he is fine if we aren’t counting on him as a difference maker (which he is not).  

I mean it's basically in Vic's interest for him to explore the FA market. He has to know the Falcon's can't afford to pay him much, and certainly don't value him at the salary he made last season. If I was TD I'd bring him in and say we are willing to pay you 'X' to be a part time pass rusher ( where 'X' is a fraction of what we paid him last season ). That way Vic can go out and see if he can get a better deal knowing he has a fall back with us. Win win for everyone.

Hopefully, someone else offers him a giant contract and we get a nice draft pick as compensation in the future.

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I mean it's basically in Vic's interest for him to explore the FA market. He has to know the Falcon's can't afford to pay him much, and certainly don't value him at the salary he made last season. If I was TD I'd bring him in and say we are willing to pay you 'X' to be a part time pass rusher ( where 'X' is a fraction of what we paid him last season ). That way Vic can go out and see if he can get a better deal knowing he has a fall back with us. Win win for everyone.

Hopefully, someone else offers him a giant contract and we get a nice draft pick as compensation in the future.

Yeah, that’s a perfect approach.  I honestly hope we can draft someone that’ll beat him out of gate but it’s the smart way to go and you can never have to much depth (esp exp depth who knows system) to come in on key downs and just pin their ears.  I’m also a fan of a very small offer to secure the draft pick if he does leave.  As much as I have dogged on him he will likely have higher offers than we make and good for him but either way we win like this.  

Geneaut likes this

The fact that they’re “not sure” on Vic Beasley confirms that the franchise is willing to settle for mediocrity. It should be a no brainer that he’s gone. Nothing can change my mind. 

GeorgiaBoyz and GreggT like this

1 minute ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

The fact that they’re “not sure” on Vic Beasley confirms that the franchise is willing to settle for mediocrity. It should be a no brainer that he’s gone. Nothing can change my mind. 

Well to be fair they aren't just going to come out and say they're gonna move on. Some teams do that with certain players but it doesn't happen all the time. There's still another 2 months before his contract officially expires so there's time to figure it out if they're truly "not sure". They may be planning to low ball him and use present the offer as for a situational pass rusher only. Not saying I want him back in either sense but it's hard to say that without knowing what the actual thought is

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Well to be fair they aren't just going to come out and say they're gonna move on. Some teams do that with certain players but it doesn't happen all the time. There's still another 2 months before his contract officially expires so there's time to figure it out if they're truly "not sure". They may be planning to low ball him and use present the offer as for a situational pass rusher only. Not saying I want him back in either sense but it's hard to say that without knowing what the actual thought is

Yeah idk man maybe it’s all just words I suppose you’re right. Seems like that’s all we ever got is words. Lol I’m fired up this morning and I ain’t even had my coffee yet

Just now, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Just out of curiosity, who is the last player to take a pay cut to play for the falcons? Why are ppl so convinced players are willing to do this? You’d think it was an annual thing in Atlanta. 

Fans speak based on what we want and wish would happen. In the end we don't know. Think about it, this site predicted a lot of players would sign for much less than what they signed for around the league last year. We don't and never have had a clue what the reality will ever be until it happens

Rings, Schwarzwald and papachaz like this

Just now, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Yeah idk man maybe it’s all just words I suppose you’re right. Seems like that’s all we ever got is words. Lol I’m fired up this morning and I ain’t even had my coffee yet

I'm on my second and last coke. Water the rest of the day

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Fans speak based on what we want and wish would happen. In the end we don't know. Think about it, this site predicted a lot of players would sign for much less than what they signed for around the league last year. We don't and never have had a clue what the reality will ever be until it happens

Lol I know but ppl act like this **** is pawn stars or GameStop. Be like “I’d offer him 800k and tell him we’re gonna play him on 3rd downs only” and think he’ll take that over the 15 mill over 3 years somewhere else just because they’re a fan of this team. Ppl can still be logical and a fan lol. It’s not just Beasley it happens every year and it’s currently happening w Hooper too. 

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm on my second and last coke. Water the rest of the day

Bout to smash this pot of coffee and got some funfetti creamer it’s gonna be great. Then I’ll probably have a couple of Bangs throughout the day lol. I never understood addiction until caffeine happened lol

ya_boi_j likes this