Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rudy

Braves Signed Ozuna

22 posts in this topic

To a 1 year deal $18M.

I guess that means Kris Bryant is no longer in play?

9 minutes ago, rudy said:

To a 1 year deal $18M.

Kris Bryant was never in play according those close to the Braves.

2 hours ago, rudy said:

To a 1 year deal $18M.

Nope, we have left field taken care of now.

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

Nope, we have left field taken care of now.

Don't know if they still have the budget for Bryant after signing Ozuna

3 hours ago, LouDog said:

I'm still not convinced we won't try for Arenado

I am, $35M a year plus the prospect cost is ridiculous. Payroll is now $150M, the highest in team history. What room we have left in the budget needs to be there to adjust the roster in any way when July hits.

JDFIII and rudy like this

51 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I am, $35M a year plus the prospect cost is ridiculous. Payroll is now $150M, the highest in team history. What room we have left in the budget needs to be there to adjust the roster in any way when July hits.

Understandable. I just have the feeling they are willing to do more this year. I think they see how close we are and want to take that last step. We shall see

16 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

I think if we make a move, it'll be to replace Dansby at some point. Could see a midseason acquisition of Story or Lindor happening.

The way that baseball works with law of averages, Dansby's about due to have a career year.

2 hours ago, jidady said:

The way that baseball works with law of averages, Dansby's about due to have a career year.

Technically every year Dansby's play he's had a career year

10 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Not to take away from anyone reading the whole article, but I feel like 99.99% of us here can take solace in this excerpt:

"He experienced something of a rare case — he did nearly everything right, but was bitten by the bad luck bug, which masked those underlying areas of growth. On 43 different occasions last season, Swanson had a batted ball with a .500-plus xwOBA turn into an out — among the 142 hitters with at least 100 batted balls with an xwOBA of at least .500, Swanson’s 33.3% “crushed-but-out” rate ranked as the 12th-highest in baseball.

Swanson was robbed of both contact and power last year. He hit .337 on contact (effectively BABIP while including homers) last year, 28 points below his .365 expected batting average on contact. Meanwhile, his xISO (xSLG-xBA) was .209, 37 points above his actual ISO of .172. By no means would Swanson have been one of baseball’s best hitters last year, but a .271/.343/.480 line using his expected statistics looks a whole lot better than his actual .251/.325/.422 line."

AUTiger7222 likes this

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Not to take away from anyone reading the whole article, but I feel like 99.99% of us here can take solace in this excerpt:

"He experienced something of a rare case — he did nearly everything right, but was bitten by the bad luck bug, which masked those underlying areas of growth. On 43 different occasions last season, Swanson had a batted ball with a .500-plus xwOBA turn into an out — among the 142 hitters with at least 100 batted balls with an xwOBA of at least .500, Swanson’s 33.3% “crushed-but-out” rate ranked as the 12th-highest in baseball.

Swanson was robbed of both contact and power last year. He hit .337 on contact (effectively BABIP while including homers) last year, 28 points below his .365 expected batting average on contact. Meanwhile, his xISO (xSLG-xBA) was .209, 37 points above his actual ISO of .172. By no means would Swanson have been one of baseball’s best hitters last year, but a .271/.343/.480 line using his expected statistics looks a whole lot better than his actual .251/.325/.422 line."

This is what I have been saying for two years now and why I'm not as down on Dansby as most others are. I have never in all my life of watching baseball seen a guy hit into the kind of bad luck Dansby has in his short career. It's amazing and sooner or later the law of averages has to even that out. Dansby is due for that to happen and finally put the naysayers in their place.

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

This is what I have been saying for two years now and why I'm not as down on Dansby as most others are. I have never in all my life of watching baseball seen a guy hit into the kind of bad luck Dansby has in his short career. It's amazing and sooner or later the law of averages has to even that out. Dansby is due for that to happen and finally put the naysayers in their place.

The only worry I have with Swanson is health. I'm worried his wrist and/or foot will be a chronic issue. The ability is certainly there.

ATLBrave and AUTiger7222 like this

15 hours ago, LouDog said:

I'm still not convinced we won't try for Arenado

I'm not convince that we won't go for Kris Bryant. This signing gives us more leverage to barter for his service. If Riley and Camargo don't show any positive signs early on, we may make a deal for him just before the trading deadline

11 hours ago, rudy said:

I'm not convince that we won't go for Kris Bryant. This signing gives us more leverage to barter for his service. If Riley and Camargo don't show any positive signs early on, we may make a deal for him just before the trading deadline

Braves aren't trading for Bryant to play 3B. Bryant's defense isn't very good at 3B and we can't hurt our pitchers like that.

15 hours ago, K26dp said:

The only worry I have with Swanson is health. I'm worried his wrist and/or foot will be a chronic issue. The ability is certainly there.

I just got around to reading that article and the part that Dansby hit the ball well enough that he should have had a wRC+ of 112 is pretty **** impressive. If he does that he's a 4-5 win player.

18 hours ago, rudy said:

I highly doubt we get Bryant. Not unless the price tag comes down. 

It’s also been mentioned in this thread, but his defense isn’t great. Not sure we want him playing 3rd 

3 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I highly doubt we get Bryant. Not unless the price tag comes down. 

It’s also been mentioned in this thread, but his defense isn’t great. Not sure we want him playing 3rd 

No.. maybe in left

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/marcell-ozuna-is-headed-to-atlanta/

Ozuna hit the snot out of the ball in 2019. He clubbed 49.2% of his batted balls 95 mph or harder, the 14th-best rate in baseball among hitters who put at least 100 balls in play. The hardest ball he hit, at 115.3 mph, was only 0.1 mph slower than the best effort from power god Joey Gallo. He’s not merely smashing grounders, either: his 1.18 GB/FB ratio in 2019 was below league average, and he added to his pulled fly ball rate as well.

I can get behind this pick-up. 

7 hours ago, K26dp said:

We just signed a left fielder.

Oh I know.. was just saying.. if we got Bryant, I would hope it’s for left and not 3rd..