Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just what does Dan Quinn direct our team toward? Supposedly D guru; that was shown untrue this season. Has cute cheerleader slogans that fall pretty flat. Doesn't seem to assume control at critical times, ie 51. I'm open here guys. What is he actually good at? Seems more like a spectator on the sidelines. Bring it on, show me the error of my assumptions.

First let me say -- I'm NOT a DQ fan. He should've been fired at the end of the season (or sooner).

But, in all fairness, here are some things he's good at:

* Eye for talent (including Shanny)

* Eye for when a player can switch positions/focus (Clayborn, Ricardo, more)

* Drafting corners

* Getting low talent teams to overachieve by building a "brotherhood"

* Crafting unique defensive gameplans tailored to overcome a specific opponent's strengths

---------

All that said, I think he's not Head Coach material. He tops out at DC, and even then, he needs a strong, stable staff under him.

I wish him the best when AB finally fires him some time in 2020.

Drafting corners

* Crafting unique defensive gameplans tailored to overcome a specific opponent's strengths

Ok maybe the drafting decent corners. His rah, rah attempts fall flat with pro's mostly. As for unique defensive gameplans, we didn't see much of that until Morris took control of the D.

13 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

First let me say -- I'm NOT a DQ fan. He should've been fired at the end of the season (or sooner).

* Drafting corners

---------

All that said, I think he's not Head Coach material. He tops out at DC, and even then, he needs a strong, stable staff under him.

Thats a really good take, his fatal flaw is he can't hire any good OCs and he pretty much hit the jackpot with Shanny. 

This has been covered so many times. He crafts terrific defensive gameplans. I'd type out another long post about how he still has done the gameplans, how playcalling and gameplanning aren't the same, and how the best defensive coaches don't do both, but that'd be a waste of time considering how little people seem to pay attention to that. So **** it. He's gone if we don't make the playoffs this year regardless.

2 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Drafting corners

Ok maybe the drafting decent corners. His rah, rah attempts fall flat with pro's mostly. As for unique defensive gameplans, we didn't see much of that until Morris took control of the D.

How do you know his rah rah falls flat with pros when half the team said they were fighting the end of the season to keep his job?  Maybe, just maybe, he motivated them somehow.  Just because you don’t like what he says at a podium, doesn’t mean you have any idea how the players reach to what he says behind closed doors.

2 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Thats a really good take, his fatal flaw is he can't hire any good OCs and he pretty much hit the jackpot with Shanny. 

I honestly wonder how much better he would be if they took him having final decision in 53 man roster as well.  Think he has clung to a few he thinks he can fix and has become too loyal and keeps some around longer than he should.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I keep hearing you say that his rah rah attempts fall flat but I've heard nearly every player on this team say the opposite. They fight, scratched, clawed for him the second half of the season and more than a few players said as much.

Same page sir, same page.

They fight, scratched, clawed for him the second half of the season and more than a few players said as much.

What could they say? So many had Q as their hope to stick around. But alright he's a wonderful cheerleader. I surely hope we have more to hang our teams future on than that. Our turnaround in the second half of the season was the work of our new D coordinator a huge amount.

2 minutes ago, Chaz said:

They fight, scratched, clawed for him the second half of the season and more than a few players said as much.

What could they say? So many had Q as their hope to stick around. But alright he's a wonderful cheerleader. I surely hope we have more to hang our teams future on than that. Our turnaround in the second half of the season was the work of our new D coordinator a huge amount.

Add another strength...humility.  Not many other coaches would have done what he did and taken a step back.  Because of that, he enabled the team to succeed.  I don’t think he is the best head coach by any means, but he isn’t near as bad as some fans make him out to be.  He has improved in a lot of his weakness early on like in game decisions/time management over the years, still not perfect, but night and day over his first two years.  I just can’t fathom why he kept Dirk around for his last shot as sticking around as HC long term.

Not many other coaches would have done what he did and taken a step back.  Because of that, he enabled the team to succeed.

Even he could see he was lost as a D coordinator. He was a DB's coach with Seattle. He's just out of his realm as HC or DC. If he hadn't stepped aside we might have ended up 3-13. He had Morris coaching WR's ffs. So glad he lucked into placing him in charge of the D. We may do a lot better with him as DC next year,but it won't be because of Q.

Edited by Chaz

15 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Not many other coaches would have done what he did and taken a step back.  Because of that, he enabled the team to succeed.

Even he could see he was lost as a D coordinator. He was a DB's coach with Seattle. He's just out of his realm as HC or DC. If he hadn't stepped aside we might have ended up 3-13. He had Morris coaching WR's ffs. So glad he lucked into placing him in charge of the D. We may do a lot better with him as DC next year,but it won't be because of Q.

What are you talking about?  He has never even coached DBs, he came up as a DL coach.  He was the DC in Seattle the two years they had the number one defense in the league and went to the super bowl both years.  Try again.  

I took 10 seconds to google it for you:

As coach:
  • William & Mary (1994)
    Defensive line coach
  • VMI (1995)
    Defensive line coach
  • Hofstra (1996–1999)
    Defensive line coach
  • Hofstra (2000)
    Defensive coordinator & defensive line coach
  • San Francisco 49ers 
    - Defensive quality control (2001–2002)
    - Defensive line coach (2003–2004)
  • Miami Dolphins (2005–2006)
    Defensive line coach
  • New York Jets (2007–2008)
    Defensive line coach
  • Seattle Seahawks (2009–2010)
    Assistant head coach & defensive line coach
  • Florida (2011–2012)
    Defensive coordinator & defensive line coach
  • Seattle Seahawks (2013–2014)
    Defensive coordinator
  • Atlanta Falcons 
    - Head coach (2015–present)
    - Defensive coordinator (2019)

Ok my bad, DL coach. Still the D was bad during 1-7. Per goog he WAS D cord. @ Florida for 2 years. What to say; I don't think he's HC material, if I'm wrong I'll gladly eat crow. Must be bbq'ed tho.

Edited by Chaz

I don't know what to make of Dan Quinn. He better bring his "A" game this year or he will likely be out. I think it was the right choice to keep him this year. TD and DQ are married to this roster. Any overhaul would probably mean a 2/3 year adjustment at the very least. Maybe the next turns out to be Patrino 2.0

Keeping DQ and TD next year gives the Falcons the best chance to succeed next year. If it fails, who knows what the timeframe is for a new regime anyway. Knowing the Falcons curse it will be 50 years of losing seasons. In which case. People would ask what if DQ and TD had been given a chance in 2020.

8 hours ago, Chaz said:

Just what does Dan Quinn direct our team toward? Supposedly D guru; that was shown untrue this season. Has cute cheerleader slogans that fall pretty flat. Doesn't seem to assume control at critical times, ie 51. I'm open here guys. What is he actually good at? Seems more like a spectator on the sidelines. Bring it on, show me the error of my assumptions.

Where's the lie in all this? There's none. All true. All of it. But it is what it is.........

10 hours ago, Rings said:

Add another strength...humility.  Not many other coaches would have done what he did and taken a step back.  Because of that, he enabled the team to succeed.  I don’t think he is the best head coach by any means, but he isn’t near as bad as some fans make him out to be.  He has improved in a lot of his weakness early on like in game decisions/time management over the years, still not perfect, but night and day over his first two years.  I just can’t fathom why he kept Dirk around for his last shot as sticking around as HC long term.

I’ll agree with the humility part. Replacing himself with Morris took both guts and humility. 

Disagree he’s improved in his game and time management decisions. 

9 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

* Drafting corners

---------

Man, I love your avatar!

9 hours ago, Chaz said:

Fighting and scratching after the season was lost is not a big deal.  Those players want to remain employed.  Quinn is their guy mostly because he is their best chance to remain employed in the league.  

Quinn is a popular guy.  Let's be honest, he is pleasant and he obviously cares about his players.  That is why his players defend him.  They can not defend him for his coaching prowess, because the results speak for themselves. 

It is common belief that Quinn is a good coach......that he is a DL guru.  So why have we not seen great improvement in the DL play during his tenure?  Quinn is not a great coach.  He is maybe mediocre....at best.  

He should have been fired after this season.  Heck, he deserved to be placed on a hot seat after his botched performance at the Super Bowl.  I mean, how many good coaches would have allowed his team to collapse like that?