Should AB have found a way to Keep Shanny at all costs after 2016

10 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Oh yes, Falcons would have become an even bigger laughing stock for firing their HC for losing the SB and being the first team to do so. That would have been nice to add to the long list of dubious records. It would have also made it absolutely impossible to get any good coaches or players to come here because making it to the SB is considered not enough to keep from getting fired.

It’s HINDSIGHT. That’s what you’re not getting.

You also should have sold everything you owned and filled up all your credit cards in 2011 to invest everything in bitcoin. That’s extremely reckless, foolish behavior, but with hindsight we know you’d be ungodly rich now (as long as you sold out on December 4,2013). 

Every $100 would be worth over $300k.

That’s what all the crystal  ball stuff was about.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’re not going to keep a man that’s offered a HC job unless his last name is McDaniels. He’s gone. You guys gotta move on. 

What kind of look does that set for the franchise? You don't fire a coach that just went to the super bowl?

Took the words right off my fingers. I’m starting to hope San Fran gets blown out in the SB so these threads completely die

Posted Images

We should have AT LEAST moved Matt LaFluer to OC when Shanny left.

It was REALLY stupid not to especially since we got a guy to try and run Shanny's system.

I have no words as to how dumb that was, at the time it was so obvious LeFluer should step in as OC.

I really think when Quinn gets fired we need an Offensive minded coach to keep the Offensive scheme in play for more than a few seasons.

If your OC is amazing he gets poached by another team, if he sucks he gets fired. We've seen even back to the Smith days Ryan only gets a couple of years with each OC then he has to learn a new system.

Having an Offensive Head Coach keeps that Offensive continuity over the long haul would pay off. And as we have seen our Defensive minded head coaches don't produce good defenses.

12 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

BS... KS is the best game installer and play caller in the NFL now.. He can confuse any defense with motion and completely make dc's look like fools.. For you to say or act like every other OC is doing what KS is doing is BS.. And yes, its a very complicated offense, but if you have a smart QB and players that understand the system its very difficult to defend against 

12 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Do you understand why our defense was so horrible the first half of the season? If not ill tell ya.. Because Quinn didnt disguise anything.. We lined up with a defense any QB could read.. Make a audible at the line after we lined up and we were beat.. Quinn didnt disguise anything or make any changes after we lined up.. Quinn basically ran a high school defense the first half of the season.. Any why? Idk, maybe he isnt such an amazing defensive mind after all

Look, I'm the guy who defended Shanahan against all the buffoons wanting him gone.  I think my admiration for Kyle Shanahan is really beyond question at this point.

My point is simpler than all that though.  He has been beaten.  He can be beat.  We beat him.  This season. He isn't some hyper-genius whose offense is unstoppable.  We stopped it.  

Regarding the defensive turnaround, you have it exactly backwards.  We didn't start disguising things.  We started communicating.  If anything, they simplified the defense after the bye, switched a couple of players to more natural position fits, and let them play.  They communicated better, they played faster, and we got much better results.  

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Look, I'm the guy who defended Shanahan against all the buffoons wanting him gone.  I think my admiration for Kyle Shanahan is really beyond question at this point.

My point is simpler than all that though.  He has been beaten.  He can be beat.  We beat him.  This season. He isn't some hyper-genius whose offense is unstoppable.  We stopped it.  

Regarding the defensive turnaround, you have it exactly backwards.  We didn't start disguising things.  We started communicating.  If anything, they simplified the defense after the bye, switched a couple of players to more natural position fits, and let them play.  They communicated better, they played faster, and we got much better results.  

Exactly, particularly the bolded bit. No one runs Cover 6 in high school...I mean ****, it's barely ran in college. It was overcomplicated to try and make up for incredibly poor secondary play, but it just wound up making things even worse. The defense was simplified, the playcalling being taken over by Ulbrich and Raheem allowed Quinn to adjust more in-game, the communication was improved with Raheem, and Quinn was able to just gameplan to stop offenses instead of worrying about whether the defense would actually execute playcalls instead of having blown coverages every play.

Water under the bridge.  It always happens.  Kyle had been in the NFL for years.  His bio states 6 of 9 years as OC his offense was in the top 10 in the NFL.  That is a really good track record.  Throw in a historic offense in 2016 which ended in a super bowl appearance and an MVP QB, no way we could keep him.  He was going to be at the top of every head coaching list no matter what.  The only thing that would have stopped him would have been if he was too young.  Younger coaches are all the rage right now.  Had he been in his late 20's as no OC has ever been that young, Blank could have maybe held onto him.

The other thing is this -- sometimes teams have magical seasons.  We had 1998, 2002, 2004, 2012, and especially 2016.

We can go back to 1980 but that's still too painful for me.  Worse than 2016.

Shanahan's Niners are having a magical season.  There is no guarantee they will continue having those, and every reason to think they will not.  So he'd better win it this season or Niners fans will be crapping on him like some of you are crapping on Quinn right now.

15 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The other thing is this -- sometimes teams have magical seasons.  We had 1998, 2002, 2004, 2012, and especially 2016.

We can go back to 1980 but that's still too painful for me.  Worse than 2016.

Shanahan's Niners are having a magical season.  There is no guarantee they will continue having those, and every reason to think they will not.  So he'd better win it this season or Niners fans will be crapping on him like some of you are crapping on Quinn right now.

You would  think someone who has watched the nfl for more than a few seasons would understand this

Any Falcons fan  knows that next season is not guaranteed  The difference between 13-3 and 5-11 is  much much smaller than people think.

17 hours ago, The Smart One said:

I know it would have been tough but you find a way to keep your most talented minds no matter what. Shanny’s back in the Super Bowl and we have Sherman a former Quinn player in Seattle calling Shanny the greatest football mind he’s ever met. 

After what he did to us in our SB effort?  No way.  That was no accident.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

You would  think someone who has watched the nfl for more than a few seasons would understand this

Any Falcons fan  knows that next season is not guaranteed  The difference between 13-3 and 5-11 is  much much smaller than people think.

Millions of people watch sports and NEVER figure it out. Acceptance

19 hours ago, The Smart One said:

Like I said it would of been tough but I think we can all agree that Shanny was the Coach that made the 2016 Falcons special. Not Quinn. I don’t know what the right move was but I think the question should at least be asked especially given everything we know 

The offense was historically good in 16 but our defense was probably the bigger surprise.  We had multiple 1st and 2nd year players that contributed and I think Quinn deserves a lot of the credit for that.

11 hours ago, The Smart One said:

Who cares what the board thinks. Look I get it. Blank obviously didn’t think outside the box. The question is should he have. I don’t think it’s a ridiculous view point to think that Blank should have known who his best people were.  

The answer to your question is no. Kyle already had a commitment in place to be HC for 49ers. Also you don’t fire the HC (Quinn) after he got to the Super Bowl, especially by trying to convince the OC who is on the way out to stay and take his job. This wouldn’t be thinking outside the box, this would be utter stupidity. 

8 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

It would have been difficult to keep Shanahan and stand in the way of him pursuing head coaching opportunities. Firing DQ after a super bowl appearance again would have been extremely harsh.

I think the biggest error was letting the likes of Matt & Mike LaFleur, Mike McDaniels and Bobby Turner leave. Kyle gutted our offensive staff and we let it happen.

This was the real issue...

On 1/21/2020 at 0:07 PM, athell said:

You're right.  It was no accident that the orchestrator of the #8 scoring defense ever had his team up 28-3 at nearly the 4th quarter.  Some of you are more fickle than women I swear.  Get over it.

If you are suggesting Kyle was effective, I agree.  However, his ego took over somewhere around 21-3.  He decided to get cute.  He thought he could run anything and it would work.  And that includes throwing the ball often and giving the ball back to the Patriots.  He handed them ToP in the 4th quarter.  Our defense got gassed and what did Kyle do?  You know the answer. 

Our 4th quarter football decisions were ridiculous. 

You can call me fickle like a woman or anything else you like.  You resort to name calling and I stop respecting you anyway.