Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think we over estimated our victory over the 49ers?

32 posts in this topic

A lot of fans say they're weren't overly impressed with our victory over the Niners because they had lots of injuries including Richard Sherman. But we had injuries to Calvin Ridley, Itto, Neal and Takk got injured in that game if I'm not mistaken. So my question is do you think our victory over the Niners was overestimated because of Niners injuries? Or do you think the injuries that we had made it a wash?

I think our year is over, and the next time we will play it will be a new season, with new players and some new coaches, same with them, so it doesn’t matter at all.  It was a great win at the time and may have saved Quinn’s job, but will mean nothing come next year.

GreggT, FalconJim, ya_boi_j and 7 others like this

The fact is we beat some good teams this season. The fact also is we pooped the bed vs some bad teams. If we can play like we did vs the 49ers and game 1 vs saints, we can easily get back to the playoffs.

PokerSteve and falconidae like this

Jimmy G can be rattled and is not all that good just yet.  Boy Wonder’s success is based off of his run game.  If Andy Reid can find a way to stop the run, as they did against Tennessee, then Chiefs win.  2 weeks to prep for a veteran coach like Reid could be the X Factor.  

I say all that to say coaching makes a ton of difference.  It was a hard fought win, but coupled with the coaching stupidity that plagued us in grand fashion the entire 2019 season, the win against the Niners was just another slap in the face.  The inconsistency of this team and never knowing what you’re going to get week to week definitely makes me overestimate that win.

GreggT likes this

No. I think it was a legit win. We and they had injuries, but we beat them and many other good teams couldn't.

We should have been playing to that level all year, and if we had (or even 40% of that level), we'd be in the playoffs.

DQ is good at being an underdog, but when he has a team with everything it takes to be successful, he somehow causes the team to play below its potential.

7 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

DQ is good at being an underdog, but when he has a team with everything it takes to be successful, he somehow causes the team to play below its potential.

It's been that way with the Falcons their entire history. Our best seasons happen when we were underdogs or weren't expected to play well at all and we come out of no where with a great season with a bunch of new names. 

47 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

It's been that way with the Falcons their entire history. Our best seasons happen when we were underdogs or weren't expected to play well at all and we come out of no where with a great season with a bunch of new names. 

We'll be underdogs next year for sure. 

1 hour ago, The Martyr said:

The fact is we beat some good teams this season. The fact also is we pooped the bed vs some bad teams. If we can play like we did vs the 49ers and game 1 vs saints, we can easily get back to the playoffs.

I think we are capable of winning a super bowl next year.

poutlipper likes this

2 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

No. I think it was a legit win. We and they had injuries, but we beat them and many other good teams couldn't.

We should have been playing to that level all year, and if we had (or even 40% of that level), we'd be in the playoffs.

I’ll say it again......this team appears to have laid down until the “playhouse” aka club brotherhood was about to be replaced w someone who’d administer a foot to their behinds.  Then.... “they were suddenly playing for DQ”.......anyway you slice that...,,,,there’s a serious respect and motivation problem at Flowery. Branch.  What kind of people would do this??    Unmotivated, overly comfortable premadonnas in my opinion..,,,,who’s responsible for this failure of character and leadership.....,,,starts at tip top with “accountability”.   “Buddy system” is no better in nfl than at yours or my workplaces.  Kills morale, performance and results.  Good employees eventually lay down too!   The Atlanta Falcons reek of these issues!!!!!!   All of our speculation is pointless until this systemic issue is addressed.  Well see more of same “up/down” for no apparent rhyme or reasons,,,,,,that’s what poorly led orgs look like.  “Consistently inconsistent”.   LI was a microcosm of what was beginning to happen and shb a wake up call to this owner.   

No, that was a solid win by the Falcons in SF that day, and I'm not one to praise much of anything that has happened this season. I say this because of the 49ner's needing that win at the time as they were still looking to secure home-field for the playoffs. It was a closely contested game as well, and both teams had injuries. The Falcons fell behind early, then took the lead. Then, the Falcons fell behind again and had to come back in the 4th. Julio was great that day, and Ryan did his thing as well. The Falcons defense did just enough, because they got gashed in the run game as usual, but were able to get it done against the passing game.

5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Any fan that said that is either completely stupid or not a real fan

OH OH OH!!! I KNOW THE ANSWER PICK ME PICK ME!!!!

:D

ya_boi_j likes this

A wins a win but I don’t think it says Atlanta is this secret great team or anything. They’ve got some work to do before they’re an upper echelon NFC squad. 

Heck no. We beat them on the road and were the better team. They were fortunate to be ahead late thanks to two horrible roughing the passer calls on Grady. Never seen star players get hosed like Grady, Ryan, and Julio. Maybe they should act like divas to help get better officiating.

3 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Heck no. We beat them on the road and were the better team. They were fortunate to be ahead late thanks to two horrible roughing the passer calls on Grady. Never seen star players get hosed like Grady, Ryan, and Julio. Maybe they should act like divas to help get better officiating.

Yep, Julio ran through a blatant jersey hold and pull away from his body...but since he could run through it??

Falcons got hosed by MANY calls in that game and still came back.

Falcons Fan MVP and FalconJim like this

No, I don't think that game can be over-estimated --- it was actually a sort of turning point, with the younger players realizing that if you play hard and up to your potential, you can get the job done and win some tough games you weren't expected to Win!

If the season started in Week 8 the a Falcons would have been a top 3 team in NFC heading in into playoffs.  The only loss we had when healthy was TB. 

So no, the win isn’t overstated.  SF was down four starters on defense, but we have the team speed on defense to deal with their shifting and wide zone.  Had we played them last night I think it’s a 4th quarter game.  My gut says their coaching would be the difference in the end

Schwarzwald likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

No, I don't think that game can be over-estimated --- it was actually a sort of turning point, with the younger players realizing that if you play hard and up to your potential, you can get the job done and win some tough games you weren't expected to Win!

Yep. Nothing overrated about beating your conference champion’s in THEIR place as a major upset game.

What was “over” rated was beating 3 teams under .500 last year...after going 0-5.

THAT was fools gold.

2019 2nd half of 6-2 with very good wins over Saints and 49ers...IN THEIR PLACE!!!...”COULD” mean something for 2020.

2018’s ending wasn’t the same and why DQ could at the time justifiably fire the coordinators.

IMO: We should have kept Sark and given him the OL help Dirk got...since he wasted it anyway by not fixing the real problem: Run game...and at the cost of setting back our efficiency passing the ball.

Marquand really had no where to go from being DC and Morris is a much better fit. It would have been better in PURE hindsight to give Morris the DC job in 2017 and let Marquand continue to coach the DBs.

Quinn’s shuffling of coaches not being on the Mark has hurt us every year since 2016 in some way.

I mean he even fired the DC without doing so mid-2016.

IMO he overreacts a bit by not figuring out the right option BEFORE making a change and we wind up with instability.

WHAT I LIKE AFTER 2019:

Our Defensive turnaround; which is what Bye week onward was this year, made our team attractive to VALUABLE coaching cast offs in a failed HC situation in Cleveland. We got GOOD coaches added to the staff to SUPPORT Morris being the DC.

What I DONT like after 2019:

Mularkey’s vision for the run game never got going until Lindstrom came back; our best 2 rushing weeks were with him albeit vs poor run D teams.

Where is the “support” to replace Mularkey IF we aren’t going back to pure ZBS? Because your OL coach is more of a pure ZBS guy.

If we weren’t going for Callahan what are we going to do to fix the run game because nobody here trusts Dirk to be balanced unless he is FORCED to by QUINN + an actually lethal run game.

19 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If the season started in Week 8 the a Falcons would have been a top 3 team in NFC heading in into playoffs.  The only loss we had when healthy was TB. 

So no, the win isn’t overstated.  SF was down four starters on defense, but we have the team speed on defense to deal with their shifting and wide zone.  Had we played them last night I think it’s a 4th quarter game.  My gut says their coaching would be the difference in the end

We were down some starters too tho, like Tru and Calvin, right? Bailey was one of our best run defending DL as well and we missed him that game early on.

I think given the way the game was called in week 15 and the +/- ultimately between Julio & Sherm; who IMO Julio can burn currently, would come down to the end the same way it did.

The biggest off field factor and to your point about coaching? ...Yep, Dirk sinks us.

Is that why Mularkey retired? Or because his style OGs were busts/gonna be moves on from and his run game didn’t mesh here?! Because Mularkey’s presence was quoted by Austin to have given him a ton of insight and help to his game.

Fix the run game. I hate this get behind style and predictable vanilla flavor Dirk goes with.

Sark was better. Period.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Falcons beat 3 playoff teams last year, including two 13 win teams, those were all solid wins, had they played like that for 16 games, good chance they're in the playoffs.

Flip side, of course, is they were a few seconds away from being 4-4 in the second half, which would have made their draft position better, but likely would have meant a new front office and coaching staff.

10 hours ago, The Martyr said:

Definitely. That was some kick-a$$ Falcon football in those two wins. I will relish that Saint beat down in their own stadium for years to come. But will that team show up for every game next year? IF they do, we're going to be right up there, but that's a mighty big "if" all things considered.

4dabirds likes this