Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

#CoachingMatters

93 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Now take into consideration the talent he had.  13th in points with the best offensive personnel is simply not good.  

Were you honestly encouraged by what you saw on offense last year?

Why do people never consider OL when evaluating offense talent?  They don’t do that to DL on defense so why ignore OL on offense?  I don’t get it.  Falcons might have one of the best receiving corp and QB in the league, but the OL and RB are average to below average.  I don’t see how that equate to the best offensive personnel.

mqg96 and Atl Falcon like this

7 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The personnel ain't special on defense, period. When's the last time you heard of people destroying other teams with Falcons castoffs? Brian Poole and Corey Peters carved a niche and that's literally it. 

The NFC Championship last night.

1 hour ago, freefall said:

Why do people never consider OL when evaluating offense talent?  They don’t do that to DL on defense so why ignore OL on offense?  I don’t get it.  Falcons might have one of the best receiving corp and QB in the league, but the OL and RB are average to below average.  I don’t see how that equate to the best offensive personnel.

This is wrong. We have 2  2019 1st round draft picks on the OL along with a top 5 Center and a top 10 LT. We have a top 5 OL in the league.

You are wrong my friend.

Vandy likes this

16 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

This^^^

I have WAAAAAY more trust in Quinn and defense than Koetter and offense

I dont. I dont trust any of them. They all need to be fired. 

dodge_birds_fan likes this

26 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

The NFC Championship last night.

Name one defensive player. Right - you can't, because they don't have a single ex-Falcon on their defense. It's like you didn't even read my post.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

8 hours ago, Rings said:

His scheme that had had a bottom 20 rushing offense on average for 10 years?  That lacks creativity?  That exposes weaknesses?  You know why KC and SF are so good on offense?  The play calling.  You put that same personnel with Dirk calling plays and it isn’t even a top ten offense.  You act like Dirk has blown it up anywhere else he has been.  He has always been meh to bad at every stop, and the longer he is around and doesn’t adapt, it only gets worse.

Where did I say Dirk has blown it up?

2 hours ago, freefall said:

Exactly what I’m thinking....our OL has sucked for the most part. 

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

This is wrong. We have 2  2019 1st round draft picks on the OL along with a top 5 Center and a top 10 LT. We have a top 5 OL in the league.

You are wrong my friend.

Not really those two #1s were rookies and didn’t play half the season plus not sure Mack is still top 5. No way in he!!  we had a top 5 OL this year. Now next yr will be a different story with the two rooks having experience plus the entire OL building chemistry this past yr. 

6 hours ago, freefall said:

Coming into this year our FO just dumped 72 mill into the OL:

Our LT was a Pro Bowl player, our Center was recently All Pro, two 1st round lineman.  You’ll have to excuse me if I refuse to think it’s devoid of talent.  As to the rest of the offense?

Freeman was a 26 year old two time Pro Bowler

Hooper a Pro Boeler

Ryan a recent MVP and All Pro

Julio is 2nd best WR ever

Ridley a potential Pro Bowler

Sanu amongst the best #2 receiver in football

Thats 8 of 11 positions on offense filled by Pro Bowl talent.  The other two spots filled by 2019 1st round picks...that just leaves LG as the only spot  not held down by elite talent

Nobody has better personnel on offense

Francis York Morgan and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Name one defensive player. Right - you can't, because they don't have a single ex-Falcon on their defense. It's like you didn't even read my post.

Oh I was watching our former DT dominate for SF.  He was a mauler.  

Unfortunately he was playing Center for Shanny...:ninja:

6 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

You are wrong my friend.

You are pointing out potential, not talent.  High pick does not necessary equate to talent.  Mack has not been the same player for 2 years now.  I would grade him average to good.  Matthews is average to good.  LG plays has been below average.  RG and RT have good potential, but being rookies those two also took their lump last year as well, especially McGary.  That right side might be good in another year or two, but they certainly were not last year.  Collectively the OL allowed Ryan to take a beating last year so they were average at best.  So how does that equate to being a top 5 OL?  Keep in mind we are discussing how the OL actually played(one of the worst) and not how they should have played with all the high draft picks.  I am by no mean defending DK, but to say that he had one of the best offense unit in the league is absurd.  The OL for the most part was incapable of opening holes for RB or protect Ryan, and there was little DK could have done about those two things.  Maybe a better OL coach might be able to help with that but not the OC.

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Coming into this year our FO just dumped 72 mill into the OL:

Our LT was a Pro Bowl player, our Center was recently All Pro, two 1st round lineman.  You’ll have to excuse me if I refuse to think it’s devoid of talent.  As to the rest of the offense?

Freeman was a 26 year old two time Pro Bowler

Hooper a Pro Boeler

Ryan a recent MVP and All Pro

Julio is 2nd best WR ever

Ridley a potential Pro Bowler

Sanu amongst the best #2 receiver in football

Thats 8 of 11 positions on offense filled by Pro Bowl talent.  The other two spots filled by 2019 1st round picks...that just leaves LG as the only spot  not held down by elite talent

Nobody has better personnel on offense

I will give you the QB and Receivers, but when was the last time Freeman was good?  It was 2016.  As for the OL, you can tell me so and so was a Pro Bowl, All Pro, 1st round pick, etc... all you want, but the reality is they were one of the worse unit in the league.  Have been for the past 2 years now ranked #24th for the past 2 years by Football Outsider.  They also allowed Ryan to be sack 90 times in the past 2 years, that also is at the bottom of the league.  So yeah with all the supposed money and high picks then went into the OL they should play better, but they didn't.  I think some of you are confused between perception and reality.  Perception is the Falcons are loaded with talent on the OL, but the reality is they have vastly under-performed over the years.  That was with and without DK.  Again, I am not trying to defend DK, but giving how poorly the OL played last year I consider it a miracle that the offense put up as many yards as they did.

falconsfan84 likes this

17 hours ago, Rings said:

The guy who just got his first HC gig and made it to the NFC Championship in his first year has gotten worse?  

Lafleur is only going to get worse without KS.. Dont take my word for it, just watch.. GB is a better team than what we saw yesterday, alot of that is on Lafleur.. Take it as what its worth 

22 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Agree, this patchwork KS offense forced upon him makes no sense.. KS is the best man to run the original offense, hes gone.. Time to move on

Going away from our offensive scheme by not promoting one of Shannie's offensive guys was his first and biggest mistake. Quinn knew this offensive scheme was one of the best he'd ever gone up against, that's why he brought Shannie in to start with. You don't fix what ain't broke. Now we got a hybrid scheme that is at complete odds with our OL and Ryan's strengths. But yeah, it's too late to go back now.

16 hours ago, freefall said:

You are pointing out potential, not talent.  High pick does not necessary equate to talent.  Mack has not been the same player for 2 years now.  I would grade him average to good.  Matthews is average to good.  LG plays has been below average.  RG and RT have good potential, but being rookies those two also took their lump last year as well, especially McGary.  That right side might be good in another year or two, but they certainly were not last year.  Collectively the OL allowed Ryan to take a beating last year so they were average at best.  So how does that equate to being a top 5 OL?  Keep in mind we are discussing how the OL actually played(one of the worst) and not how they should have played with all the high draft picks.  I am by no mean defending DK, but to say that he had one of the best offense unit in the league is absurd.  The OL for the most part was incapable of opening holes for RB or protect Ryan, and there was little DK could have done about those two things.  Maybe a better OL coach might be able to help with that but not the OC.

By definition, high draft picks = talent.

Are you trying to say Lindstrom and McGary lack talent?

Come on, anyone who watched this team last year knows that OC coaching/play calling was a big part of the problem. 

On 1/19/2020 at 10:52 PM, Ovie_Lover said:

13th in points and 5th in yards on offense

Thats your clue. Koetter is the anti-red zone guy. He can sling the ball all over the field but cant score TDs.  Pathetic redzone offense, and even worse rushing attack. The worst part about it is, there was 4 years of evidence at how poor Koetter was by just watching TB.

Francis York Morgan likes this