Falcons Fan MVP

should we go ahead and keep Freeman one more year?

63 posts in this topic

Yes. The whole cap thing with the CBA this year confuses me. If we receive a considerable amount of cap back yes cut him, if not keep him and good lord let’s hope and pray for a comeback player of the year type of performance. 

Hard to believe he still has his good stuff but maybe a year of being back getting in the groove, another full off season we will see a better, fresher Free. But anyone will tell you we are more dangerous with a healthy, good Freeman on the field.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Yes, if financially it's too painful to cut him but do look to move-on from him as quickly as possible... as production does not match pay and for all of the accolades he gets for blocking, he really isn't a good blocker in pass protection.  He perhaps gets an "A" for effort (well, except for the missed assignment in the Super Bowl that got Matt face-planted and cost us a decent shot at a field goal, sigh)... but really I've seen him get literally run-over in pass protection more than I've seen him lay the wood.  What he still can do, however, is catch the ball out of the backfield so there is that...

BUBBASBEANS likes this

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird46 said:

Yes, if financially it's too painful to cut him but do look to move-on from him as quickly as possible... as production does not match pay and for all of the accolades he gets for blocking, he really isn't a good blocker in pass protection.  He perhaps gets an "A" for effort (well, except for the missed assignment in the Super Bowl that got Matt face-planted and cost us a decent shot at a field goal, sigh)... but really I've seen him get literally run-over in pass protection more than I've seen him lay the wood.  What he still can do, however, is catch the ball out of the backfield so there is that...

This is exactly what I’d like to see.  Keep free and use him catching out of backfield/short yardage.  Get another back to either supplant or push Hill to next level production.  

34 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Yes because we would lose 6.5 mil from cutting him....it makes zero sense financially. Upgrade him, sure, but use him as a 3rd down back for a year...

We actually gain 3 million in cap space by citting him. It makes peefect sense, if we get a RB in the draft that is projected to start. Ito can be the 3rd down back. Ito is faster and quicker.

23 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

This is exactly what I’d like to see.  Keep free and use him catching out of backfield/short yardage.  Get another back to either supplant or push Hill to next level production.  

Hill is not under contract and would cost us 2.5 mil to tender. Draft a rb.

slick0ne and MSalmon like this

10 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

We actually gain 3 million in cap space by citting him. It makes peefect sense, if we get a RB in the draft that is projected to start. Ito can be the 3rd down back. Ito is faster and quicker.

Lto is nowhere near as good a receiver or a blocker and he's been on ir the past two years. Yes, we gain 3.5 mil but eat 6.5 mil in dead money....it makes zero sense.

Vandy, federicofalcon2 and Rings like this

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

with this draft one rb..... if we part ways with Freeman and Hill possibly two RBs one early and one late 7th rd pick on RB maybe Lemay from UCF

Hill will be gone because of the tender price and he’s just another guy. If the CBA gets done then Free is likely a June 1 cut. Falcons will draft a back in the first 4 rounds. I’m all in on Swift if he falls to the second round and I like Kylin Hill in the 4th. With Etienne, Hubbard, and Harris not in the draft RBs just moved up the value chain. 

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

20 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I did not realize that!  Absolutely!  I liked some of what I saw from Hill but he’s def replaceable thru draft.  

28 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Lto is nowhere near as good a receiver or a blocker and he's been on ir the past two years. Yes, we gain 3.5 mil but eat 6.5 mil in dead money....it makes zero sense.

It makes zero sense to keep a RB at 9.5 mil that isnt even starting caliber anymore. Ito doesn't drop balls he is a far greater value at the position.  At this point. Free is worth about 2 mil a season. Cut you losses and move on. Hasnt been the same since 2016. Ito can make positive yards with this Oline where Free simply couldn't.  Ito was a better back than free when he was in the game. 

MSalmon likes this

36 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Designate Free as a june 1st cut, we save 6mil against the cap this year. Makes perfect sense if you understand the cap

octoslash and Charles Wright like this

41 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

It makes zero sense to keep a RB at 9.5 mil that isnt even starting caliber anymore. Ito doesn't drop balls he is a far greater value at the position.  At this point. Free is worth about 2 mil a season. Cut you losses and move on. Hasnt been the same since 2016. Ito can make positive yards with this Oline where Free simply couldn't.  Ito was a better back than free when he was in the game. 

Well if you say he's only worth 2 mil and it only saved us 3.5 mil to cut him while creating a ton of dead cash doesn't that tell you that it makes zero sense to cut him? It doesn't freaking matter what his salary is if we gain nothing from cutting him.

37 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Designate Free as a june 1st cut, we save 6mil against the cap this year. Makes perfect sense if you understand the cap

Clearly you don't understand the cap because it's been said one million times on this board that there are no June 1st cuts this year unless a new CBA gets signed. Now it's been said one million and one times

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Clearly you don't understand the cap because it's been said one million times on this board that there are no June 1st cuts this year unless a new CBA gets signed. Now it's been said one million and one times

Lol.....maybe that extra 1 might sink in..

Vandy likes this