2019 developed Wide receiver depth

OrthoPTSD

Got to say that I was quite impressed in the bottom of depth chart as for years, our number 3 down (before Sanu) has been hot garbage, highlighted by Hardy whom im not referring to.

Christian Blake age 23 6'1 181 (11) catches on (24 yikes) targets 91 yards

Russell Gage age 23 6'0 184 (49) catches (79) targets 446 yards and 1 TD

Brandon Powell age 24 5'8 181 Zero stats

Olamande Zaccheaus age 22 5'8 193 (3 catches (5) targets 115 yards and TD. Also special teams TD

Blake was highly targeted early in the year and then vanished. Obvious that coaching staff like him,  but did Ryan lose confidence? Needs to gain strength. Was not highly productive in college, surprised he got as many targets.

Gage really came on, this is the type of  late round draft pick development that needs to happen. His confidence grew in second half and saw him make clutch, contested catches and was a big part of winning football. Thought he was a special teams pick, but his full wide out tool box and work ethic has moved him into a big chess piece on offense. Total blindside

Powell was a decent first year producer in Detroit in 2018 for 11 recept and 129 yards. Atlanta went out of way to make sure kept. Tiny but has wheels, and probably hungry after cup of coffee with Detroit and no field in 2019. DEPTH which is better than past years to say the least.

Zach is an interesting piece even though tiny at 5'8. The guy had 250 catches 2753 yards and 22 TD along with 551 yards 2 TD rushing at Virginia. Inactive until end of year, he could be in for a Gage like jump year 2.

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Got to say that I was quite impressed in the bottom of depth chart as for years, our number 3 down (before Sanu) has been hot garbage, highlighted by Hardy whom im not referring to.

Christian Blake age 23 6'1 181 (11) catches on (24 yikes) targets 91 yards

Russell Gage age 23 6'0 184 (49) catches (79) targets 446 yards and 1 TD

Brandon Powell age 24 5'8 181 Zero stats

Olamande Zaccheaus age 22 5'8 193 (3 catches (5) targets 115 yards and TD. Also special teams TD

Blake was highly targeted early in the year and then vanished. Obvious that coaching staff like him,  but did Ryan lose confidence? Needs to gain strength. Was not highly productive in college, surprised he got as many targets.

Gage really came on, this is the type of  late round draft pick development that needs to happen. His confidence grew in second half and saw him make clutch, contested catches and was a big part of winning football. Thought he was a special teams pick, but his full wide out tool box and work ethic has moved him into a big chess piece on offense. Total blindside

Powell was a decent first year producer in Detroit in 2018 for 11 recept and 129 yards. Atlanta went out of way to make sure kept. Tiny but has wheels, and probably hungry after cup of coffee with Detroit and no field in 2019. DEPTH which is better than past years to say the least.

Zach is an interesting piece even though tiny at 5'8. The guy had 250 catches 2753 yards and 22 TD along with 551 yards 2 TD rushing at Virginia. Inactive until end of year, he could be in for a Gage like jump year 2.

Good topic! Think you are definitely right about developing depth at WR. 

Gage was considered a top-100 pick by Mayock the year he was drafted. Have always believed in his talent. A newcomer last year that I am really hyped about also, is Zaccheaus. Mark my word on this, he is going to be special! Proclaimed he would make the team when he was just another number in Camp.

The Falcons can use their Draft Capitol somewhere else this year. 

Between Jones, Ridley, Gage, Hardy, Zacc, Blake, and Powell and we will need to add at least one more WR who is a decent pass catcher and run blocker. If we lose Hooper and Sanu we are down some pretty good pass catchers and replacing that production will come down to a committee approach if we don't get another premiere pass catcher for Matt.

Edited by quickzero

14 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

Good topic! Think you are definitely right about developing depth at WR. 

Gage was considered a top-100 pick by Mayock the year he was drafted. Have always believed in his talent. A newcomer last year that I am really hyped about also, is Zaccheaus. Mark my word on this, he is going to be special! Proclaimed he would make the team when he was just another number in Camp.

The Falcons can use their Draft Capitol somewhere else this year. 

Raheem Morris really put his stamp on the team last year with work he did with the wide out room, and then taking on the dumpster of defense. Impressive.

Would Zach be the fastest on the team?

6 hours ago, takeitdown said:

Gage is a good number 4 (may elevate to number 3 status).  Need a 2nd or 3rd rounder to develop into a 2 or 3, basically replacing Sanu for cheap.

You should always be developing mid round WR, TE, LB.

Id have to think his performance this year makes for a definite number 3. 40 plus catches for a number 4?

8 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Raheem Morris really put his stamp on the team last year with work he did with the wide out room, and then taking on the dumpster of defense. Impressive.

Would Zach be the fastest on the team?

No, Zaccheaus has about 4.45 40 speed, so not near the fastest on the Falcons. He is 5'8", 8 3/4" Hands, 31" Arms, and a 35.5" Vertical. Nothing special in his measurables, if not underwhelming. That is probably why he was not drafted.

What I like about him is his fluidity. He can run/jump/catch/land/run again, all in one smooth fluid motion. I have seen very few athletes possess that kind of body control. We are very lucky to have him, and think he has already turned some heads on the Falcon's staff, especially with that beautiful 93-yard TD play.

5 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

No, Zaccheaus has about 4.45 40 speed, so not near the fastest on the Falcons. He is 5'8", 8 3/4" Hands, 31" Arms, and a 35.5" Vertical. Nothing special in his measurables, if not underwhelming. That is probably why he was not drafted.

What I like about him is his fluidity. He can run/jump/catch/land/run again, all in one smooth fluid motion. I have seen very few athletes possess that kind of body control. We are very lucky to have him, and think he has already turned some heads on the Falcon's staff, especially with that beautiful 93-yard TD play.

so you're basically saying "Zaccheaus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he"??

:ninja:

:lol:

Just now, Cheap Talk said:

Shakespeare?

Now he has a real chip on his shoulder! You will see about this "wee little mon".

no it's a sunday school kids song, based on the event in the Bible about a guy named Zaccheaus who wanted to see Jesus, but was too short so he climbed a sycamore tree.

it just fit, so I used it....not meant to offend anyone  :tiphat:

1 minute ago, papachaz said:

no it's a sunday school kids song, based on the event in the Bible about a guy named Zaccheaus who wanted to see Jesus, but was too short so he climbed a sycamore tree.

it just fit, so I used it....not meant to offend anyone  :tiphat:

Yes, I remember now. Cute! :lol:

36 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Brings up a good question for combine savants? Who is the fastest? Just based on college 40.

4.45 is moving

18 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Id have to think his performance this year makes for a definite number 3. 40 plus catches for a number 4?

You're probably right.  I debated between 3 and 4 on him.  He has some wow catches, but he's not yet dependable enough to know he's going to convert 3rd downs, and be able to catch the 8 yard pass in traffic.

Either way, we need a 2nd/3rd rounder to compete for the 3/4 spot.

I'm actually excited to see what Gage can become.